• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Motorbike

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi friends,

I am interested to buy a motorbike for daily usage such as travel short distance mostly and long distance once in a while. So I have no idea about which type would be most suitable for me because I know little about bikes. I see lots of Indian bikes on the road. But I prefer a Japanese one because its said to be durable, comfortable and long lasting. ( Don't really know though)

So my requirements are;

- Averagely economical - ( no need to be the most economical )

- Easiness of maintenance - ( Availability of spares rather than how cheaper they are )

- Handling

- Ability to travel comfortably especially longer distances

- 250cc could be most suitable

- medium sized ( not too large )

So please suggest me brands or models to think about and find about. Thanks a lot in advance.

6 answers to this question

Hi friends,

I am interested to buy a motorbike for daily usage such as travel short distance mostly and long distance once in a while. So I have no idea about which type would be most suitable for me because I know little about bikes. I see lots of Indian bikes on the road. But I prefer a Japanese one because its said to be durable, comfortable and long lasting. ( Don't really know though)

So my requirements are;

- Averagely economical - ( no need to be the most economical )

- Easiness of maintenance - ( Availability of spares rather than how cheaper they are )

- Handling

- Ability to travel comfortably especially longer distances

- 250cc could be most suitable

- medium sized ( not too large )

So please suggest me brands or models to think about and find about. Thanks a lot in advance.

My dad's bike mechanic highly recommended Hero Honda Karizma if you are looking for a Indian bike. According to him Karizma is a very reliable bike. He was a trusted mechanic for my dad's bikes for many years (took over the business from his father). But i cannot tell about the Karizma since we did not buy it. Just letting know what he told.

As per my experience we have used Honda CL 175, Honda CB 125 alloy wheel model, Suzuki GN 250 and they were hard as rocks. Even after 2 or 3 engine overhauls still running great. But a fact that they cannot compete with the fuel economy of a Indian bike and availability of spare parts compared to common Indian bikes in market now. And of cause these models are very old models and the new bikes comes with better technology.

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

The CD250 and GN250 have some huge rep and are known to be bulletproof bikes. If you like something a bit newer and somewhat prettier one, I'd recommend the Honda VTR250. It's a two cylinder and does quite good on fuel, 30+ if i remember the last time I did the math. The engine has a lot of torque and the 5 speed gearbox is a joy to ride around.The riding position is nice and upright. Would recommend to anyone.

Downside is, they are a little less in numbers compared to other Jap 250s.

I prefer Honda bikes over other brands. LA Custom, CB 125/250, Jade, Nighthawk, Road Maseter etc. Specially Roadmaster a very reliable hard use bikes and still they are very expensive. ( I admit it has no such "Young" look, but very good bikes)

Suzuki GN 250 ( old traffic police bikes ) also a possible candidate. Suzuki Volty, (a classic shaped bike, I owned one sometime back) very comfortable for long rides it shares same engine as GN 250.

The mechanic I used to go always recommend Honda. Suzukis somewhat prone to make troubles.

If you want to buy a bike please do buy a Japanese one. For a petty mileage don't buy indian or even chinese bikes since both are pure shit to the pinnacle.
There is no riding fun, stability, durability & control. Like I mentioned Indian bikes are pure shit, almost all of them. Ride a Japanese one & you will feel the difference immediately. I myself owned a Honda Hornet for almost 2 years & had zero trouble & full of fun. I sold it since I didn't have the time to ride it quiet often. My friend's dad had a Honda super cub for almost 10 years or more. According to my friend, his dad has done a proper service but still it ran really well until he sold it. Indian bikes are light weight single cylinder shit. Its good on fuel & quick pick up but not stable or durable at all. Honda hornet or Honda Jade are fun street bikes with a fuel efficiency above 20kmpl. Suzuki GN125 or GN175 are reliable road bikes. The Honda MD90 (aka thapal 90) is a work horse. Talk to many & get their views.