• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

nerid_n

Rear Left Wheel Came Off While Driving

Hi All,

This is my first post on AL....

Today I was driving my Aqua and after about 4 Km of driving..I felt a slight vibration and I decided to pull over.I was juzt doing about 45-50 KMPH speed and before I stop, I saw two bolts were Falling off the Vehicle.Then Suddenly I saw another two Bolts also falling off. I managed to stop the car ..n then I saw my left rear wheel is out of that brake Disc..

Please Tell me wt possibly went wrong here?

I juzt brought this car last week and I am really scared now..

Thanks all in advanced..

NERID

Aiyo mate someone has forgotten to tighten the bolts. Get a grip of urself.

Thanks Nzer,

After I bought the car, I did around 600km...and Dz incident happened.. Hope it is not loosening by itself...

Aiyo mate someone has forgotten to tighten the bolts. Get a grip of urself.

On the other hand is it not possible that someone loosened the wheel nuts deliberately? Either you live (or kept your car parked) near a tough neighborhood or someone is jealous of your new car.

Looks Like...But is it Possible to drive about 5-6 km without a problem...dz thing killing me bros...

Looks Like...But is it Possible to drive about 5-6 km without a problem...dz thing killing me bros...

Possible provided you drive smoothly (a vast majority of hybrid drivers do I believe) ie without hard cornering on a well paved road. BTW don't you have CCTVs in your neighborhood :mosking: ?

Edited by Rumesh88

Same thing happen to me once,luckily only the bolts were not tight enough they didn't fall off.Tightening solved the issue.For your safety re tight all the tires in the car and check all those nut threads to see if they are in good shape.Since you drove 600km I doubt too for a jealous neighbor,but it's possible you hit a pot hole and it came loose out of nowhere.I don't know about your security system on your car but for these 3rd party systems you can adjust the sensitiveness so even a little shake can trigger the alarm.

Yes, possible if you are lucky. :)

Same mistake I did once in a drak night when got a tyre puncture with a Peugeot, when I was a school boy. Forgot to tight lug bolts with wheel brace, after fixing sparewheel and I tightened them by hand only. :speechless-smiley-004: Luckily that old Pegeout had a different mechanism , lug bols to be inserted in to hub . Heared unsusal sound continously and however saftly reurned back home (3km) and relaized my mistake.

Now I know how stupid dangerous mistake done by me. :speechless-smiley-004:

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Did you check the threads of the both nuts and bolts? Check whether they engage well and tighten enough. (පොට ගිහින්ද බලන්න). Because there is a possibility.

Hi All,

This is my first post on AL....

Today I was driving my Aqua and after about 4 Km of driving..I felt a slight vibration and I decided to pull over.I was juzt doing about 45-50 KMPH speed and before I stop, I saw two bolts were Falling off the Vehicle.Then Suddenly I saw another two Bolts also falling off. I managed to stop the car ..n then I saw my left rear wheel is out of that brake Disc..

Please Tell me wt possibly went wrong here?

I juzt brought this car last week and I am really scared now..

Thanks all in advanced..

NERID

First of all we are glad that you are safe after this incident.

Like everybody else, I also think the nuts were just lose.

Whether it was an accident or an deliberate act is what you need to investigate. Remember one nut becoming a bit lose is always possible, but there are 4 so all of them becoming lose just means they were lose before you started driving and the virbrations of the suspension as you travelled accross terrain just made it worse.

Heavy vehicles use these join type metal plates which join two nuts together so they can't get lose (they some in metal and plastic). I'm not sure if they are available for smaller vehicles, but if you are worried (I know it can play on your mind) and if you have steel wheels with wheel cups on top, take some construction steel wire (used when you join metal rods for concrete), wrap it around one nut and then wrap it around the other and tighten the wire. This will give you a perfectly good nut lock of sort, so the nuts can't independently losen themselves.

Crude but effective, and usually overkill for small vehicles.....

First of all we are glad that you are safe after this incident.

Like everybody else, I also think the nuts were just lose.

Whether it was an accident or an deliberate act is what you need to investigate. Remember one nut becoming a bit lose is always possible, but there are 4 so all of them becoming lose just means they were lose before you started driving and the virbrations of the suspension as you travelled accross terrain just made it worse.

Heavy vehicles use these join type metal plates which join two nuts together so they can't get lose (they some in metal and plastic). I'm not sure if they are available for smaller vehicles, but if you are worried (I know it can play on your mind) and if you have steel wheels with wheel cups on top, take some construction steel wire (used when you join metal rods for concrete), wrap it around one nut and then wrap it around the other and tighten the wire. This will give you a perfectly good nut lock of sort, so the nuts can't independently losen themselves.

Crude but effective, and usually overkill for small vehicles.....

Don't we have the Locked lug nuts for the same purpose in locally? you need to have special key / Socket to remove the nut.

Most probably someone forgot to tighten the nuts properly.

When installing aluminum wheels, check that the wheel nuts are tight after driving your vehicle the first 1600km (1000 miles). If you have rotated, repaired, or changed your tires, check that the wheel nuts are still tight after driving 1600 km (1000 miles).

Never use oil or grease on the bolts or nuts. The nuts may loosen and the wheels may fall off.

This is the reason few vehicles were made in the past with left side wheel nuts tightened to left side (left thread). However now the nuts on all wheels are tightened to the right. :)

Don't we have the Locked lug nuts for the same purpose in locally? you need to have special key / Socket to remove the nut.

Thats for a different purpose. They prevent the nut from removed with a standard wheel wrench. I think they can come lose by themselves as well if not properly tightened. But it does safe guard against vandalism when somebody has deliberately losened the nuts.

When installing aluminum wheels, check that the wheel nuts are tight after driving your vehicle the first 1600km (1000 miles). If you have rotated, repaired, or changed your tires, check that the wheel nuts are still tight after driving 1600 km (1000 miles).

Never use oil or grease on the bolts or nuts. The nuts may loosen and the wheels may fall off.

I don't think the point on grease or oil is true. I used to oil the thread to keep it from rusting and the wheel nuts never came off. Its kept in place by the friction of the rim against the nut when the nut is tightened.

I don't think the point on grease or oil is true. I used to oil the thread to keep it from rusting and the wheel nuts never came off. Its kept in place by the friction of the rim against the nut when the nut is tightened.

I also make it a point to use some gear oil on the threads to prevent them from rusting. Pretty effective on nuts that have a head, covering the stud which can accommodate water - especially after a service. If the nuts are tightened to the specified torque, I see no risk in them getting loosened.

nerid_n, This is just a one time situation because someone's mistake of forgetting to tighten the bolts, so don't worry. Make sure the other three wheels are also tightened properly.

On a slightly different but related note, A friend of mine who was driving a Lancer Box lost his front left wheel when taking the turn from Union Place to Darley Road. The wheel took off at such a terrific speed that it hit an oncoming motorcycle and injured the rider seriously. :S Apparently the light was green and he took the turn as he approached the junction. Happened in 2004, remembered as I was reading the thread.

According to the Toyota owners manual you should not use oil or grease on the nut or bolt.

according to mitsubishi owners manual you should not use any oil on the nut too. :D

Hi All..

I really Appreciate the comments and suggestion from the AL members..

2day I was discussing this thing with the manager of Auto M***J..he too surprised to hear that.I was driving the whole day today juzt to check the vehicle properly ( I am a seafarer and dz is my Vacation.) :smilie_liebe9: ...

I was driving mostly in colombo and keeping the limitations of the vehicle in mind and I increased the speed here and there to test the vehicle..

I checked in the evening and found safe and sound and all the parts were Intact.

Sadly in dz model we cannot use a locking nut unless you remove the original Toyota Nut...Which came with the Alloy..its a covered head Nut neh....so I have to have long bolt to fix a lock nut...

Another idea which came to me is using a lock washer..But lock washers are used in permanent fittings only ne...Ekath Ba wage :speechless-smiley-004: ....

All I understood was dz was an Unfortunate event and I luckly got away with...and above all its my carelessness that I did not check my Wheels properly...

I am a new driver and I wanted to post this to learn the Mistakes I have done and on the Other Hand this Will be an Information sharing for all the Guys here..

Thanks for being So Generous Guys....

Please Take a Minute To check your Wheels Before you Drive.... :sport-smiley-003:

• Like 2

according to mitsubishi owners manual you should not use any oil on the nut too. :D
According to the Toyota owners manual you should not use oil or grease on the nut or bolt.

Ha ha, bit of local knowledge then :) Manuals say a lot of things, but in SL when tyres get punctures all the time, it makes life a little bit easier, and saves the thread. Else they rust tight and then you need a baby elephant to get the nut off by the road side :)

Its not tons of oil, just enough to keep the surface rust free.

A friend of mine once drove from Galle to Moratuwa (not on highway) with loosen wheel nuts on all four wheels on his doctor sunny !!!

He had done the service and guys there forgot to tighten the nuts ...

Actually he went to a garage to check why it was wabbling and found it out.

So it is always a good idea to double check that wheels and other parts are properly fitted, after a service or any other repair. In here, we cannot totally depend on the mechanics ne ...

The manual says this not because the nuts will come loose and the wheels may fall off. This is because when we use a bit of oil and tighten the nut, it can get over torqued and very difficult to remove at a later time (sometimes causing wheel studs to snap when removing). This is the only reason and not because the nuts will slip away and fall off because of the oil, so your claim here is not 100% correct. :)

As The Don said, this is not to say that one should soak the studs and nuts in oil, just a small drop per stud (at the tip), so that the bolt slightly lubricates the stud while it's tightened. Also not to say that instructions in the manual should not be followed, but using a drop of oil won't hurt when in Sri Lanka every all service stations high pressure wash every bit including the wheels and then tighten the studs without even cleaning off the water.

Glad to hear that you're safe and the car is intact.

What's the alloy wheel and the lug nuts used? looks like it's self-loosening. Keep watching it for next thousand or so (there's no exact mileage as such) whether it loosens and if so which wheel/wheels. A friend of mine replaced steel rims of his swift with alloys and constantly had this self-loosening issue for some time.

Usually the hub and the wheel should have a matching set / grove which will hold the weight. What lug nuts do is holding the wheel tight to that grove.

just check whether your alloy is plain / flat where it faces/fixes with the hub. In that case load on the studs and bolts is too much.. Also check whether the bolts are of proper design to suit the alloy wheel. Whether the wheel design demands to have a taper on the lug nut and whether the taper matches..

Edited by harshansenadhir