• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

nerid_n

Rear Left Wheel Came Off While Driving

The manual says this not because the nuts will come loose and the wheels may fall off. This is because when we use a bit of oil and tighten the nut, it can get over torqued and very difficult to remove at a later time (sometimes causing wheel studs to snap when removing). This is the only reason and not because the nuts will slip away and fall off because of the oil, so your claim here is not 100% correct. :)

As The Don said, this is not to say that one should soak the studs and nuts in oil, just a small drop per stud (at the tip), so that the bolt slightly lubricates the stud while it's tightened. Also not to say that instructions in the manual should not be followed, but using a drop of oil won't hurt when in Sri Lanka every all service stations high pressure wash every bit including the wheels and then tighten the studs without even cleaning off the water.

What I posted was verbatim off the manual. May be the Toyota guys should change their wording based on your expert opinion.

What I posted was verbatim off the manual. May be the Toyota guys should change their wording based on your expert opinion.

As Davy pointed out the reason why it is not recommended in the OEM manual is because if you tighten the wheel nut to the OEM specs with lubricating oil on the nut it may over tighten. However the practical situation is that you have to tighten the wheel nuts in such a way that the next time if you happen to unscrew it on the road side with only a wheel brace in your hand you should be able to do it without breaking your back while it should not loosen on its own. OEM torque for a wheel nut in a light car comes in the region of 70 to 100 ft. lbs. In my case I weigh around 140lbs and always use my weight on the wheel brace with my hands (Even at the service stations I ask them to do the same). With the wheel brace of one ft length the torque should be almost in line with OEM specs (half my weight and 1 ft wheel brace). If you use oil on wheel studs then go a bit easy on the torque. In case if you are using a torque wrench (or a power wrench) then set the torque to little less (Ex 30%) than the OEM setting.

• Like 2

Glad to hear that you're safe and the car is intact.

What's the alloy wheel and the lug nuts used? looks like it's self-loosening. Keep watching it for next thousand or so (there's no exact mileage as such) whether it loosens and if so which wheel/wheels. A friend of mine replaced steel rims of his swift with alloys and constantly had this self-loosening issue for some time.

Usually the hub and the wheel should have a matching set / grove which will hold the weight. What lug nuts do is holding the wheel tight to that grove.

just check whether your alloy is plain / flat where it faces/fixes with the hub. In that case load on the studs and bolts is too much.. Also check whether the bolts are of proper design to suit the alloy wheel. Whether the wheel design demands to have a taper on the lug nut and whether the taper matches..

Thank you very much for the advice Mr Senadhira...Dz makes sence too..There was a guy who wanted to buy this car and the Car sale Guy had changed the wheels to alloy as per his request. He had juzt swap the alloys from another aqua. The car is parked at my Parent's place now..tomorrow i Will check the contact faces...

and heres the Lug nuts they used on aqua...after the incident one lug nut was not tightening properly ...so i went to the car sale and they again gave me a new lug nut for that....

landcruiser.jpg

If you are not sure if someone loosened them, buy four locking lug nuts (one for each wheel) as a precaution. So at least one will be held in place :)