• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Coolant Spraying Out Of Engine Block

MAS

Question

What's going on. Please see pic. I have taken it from underneath the exhaust. You can see a fine green jet spray from the block (encircled in red). It is leaking even without the engine being started.

post-8799-0-79621200-1404754513_thumb.jp

Edited by MAS

6 answers to this question

This happened to me once and found that the upper block had loosened. Coolent circulation happens around the engine block (correct me if I'm wrong) and the loosened part was just below the exhaust. So the packing was changed (using silicon sealent) and re fixed. The reason for that incident was a loosened nuts and bolts due to may be the engine vibration. However in your case, check whether any part has loosened or any leackage due to corrosion. Be carefull if you start the engine.

I really hope it is this plug and not a cracked block ! :speechless-smiley-004: Checked in the morning and when the engine is cool the leak is much less (no jet spray). I will take it to the mechanic tomorrow and hope for the best.

If its the plug at fault, do you think I should replace all plugs ? There are 4 on the inlet side and 3 on the exhaust side.

Yeah, that looks like there is a tiny hole in the highlighted welch plug. Simple fix - true, but replacing the plug needs a bit of room unless the workshop has the correct set of tools.