• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speedometer Replacement

chamilka

Question

Hi,

I own a Toyota Corolla CE100 1993 SE Limited car. Both its Speedometer and RPM Meter are not working. Speed door lock is working precisely at 20kmph so auto electrician says sensor is ok (it is sensor type, no cable) problem is with the meter and meter should be replaced.

All I want to know is that if I find a AE100 petrol car meterboard and fit only the Speedometer and RPM meter into my meterboard will it work. I checked and found that these two meters can be easily removed from the board and the have seperate electronic circuits.

Thing is that, since it is a diesel car a glow plug indicator light is there in the meterboard which is not available in Petrol models. And it is bit difficult to find CE100 meterboard. But AE100 Petrol once are available.

Thanks in advance

20 answers to this question

Hi,

I own a Toyota Corolla CE100 1993 SE Limited car. Both its Speedometer and RPM Meter are not working. Speed door lock is working precisely at 20kmph so auto electrician says sensor is ok (it is sensor type, no cable) problem is with the meter and meter should be replaced.

All I want to know is that if I find a AE100 petrol car meterboard and fit only the Speedometer and RPM meter into my meterboard will it work. I checked and found that these two meters can be easily removed from the board and the have seperate electronic circuits.

Thing is that, since it is a diesel car a glow plug indicator light is there in the meterboard which is not available in Petrol models. And it is bit difficult to find CE100 meterboard. But AE100 Petrol once are available.

Thanks in advance

I think it will be a problem if the rpm meter is swaped, as the petrol ones go upto 8000 and the diesels upto 6000 on a corolla.

I think it will be a problem if the rpm meter is swaped, as the petrol ones go upto 8000 and the diesels upto 6000 on a corolla.

I think he's thinking about keeping the dials, and only swapping the circuit boards. I think he should try to repair option before looking further

Hi,

Thank you all for all your suggestions and ideas. Today I tried to replace the meterboard with a CE101 diesel one (my one is CE100). However just connecting the harnesses didn't work. I realized the glow plug indicator and handbrake indicator are not in the same place as my one.

Then I tried a AE100 petrol meterboard and it works fine except the RPM meter. In AE100 meterboard check engine indicator works as glow plug indicator and exhaust gas temperature indicator works as diesel filter water trap indicator. Rest are as the same.

Speedometer working fine now but RPM meter not working at all. Now I am not sure wheter it is a problem with the sensor. Have to check it later.

So I wanted to share with you is for CE100 diesel car AE100 meterboard is working fine except the RPM meter has upto 8000 unlike 6000 in diesel model (mine is not working but it should be a different story). However CE101 meterboard does not work with CE100 but can swap only the meters and works fine ( I have tested it).

Thank you all.

Hi,

Thank you all for all your suggestions and ideas. Today I tried to replace the meterboard with a CE101 diesel one (my one is CE100). However just connecting the harnesses didn't work. I realized the glow plug indicator and handbrake indicator are not in the same place as my one.

Then I tried a AE100 petrol meterboard and it works fine except the RPM meter. In AE100 meterboard check engine indicator works as glow plug indicator and exhaust gas temperature indicator works as diesel filter water trap indicator. Rest are as the same.

Speedometer working fine now but RPM meter not working at all. Now I am not sure wheter it is a problem with the sensor. Have to check it later.

So I wanted to share with you is for CE100 diesel car AE100 meterboard is working fine except the RPM meter has upto 8000 unlike 6000 in diesel model (mine is not working but it should be a different story). However CE101 meterboard does not work with CE100 but can swap only the meters and works fine ( I have tested it).

Thank you all.

You might be able to fit the motherboard from the new AE100 board to the old one, and that might get rid of the cosmetic problems. Did the rpm meter work in the old one?

No It did not work in the old one either. In old one when the ignition key is on before start RPM meter goes to around 1 and nothing happens after that. When I replaced with diesel RPM meter (CE101) it did not respond to key on. but goes above 6 and stuck in the other side (dial goes all the way to the other side and stuck there) immediately after start.

When I fix the petrol RPM meter (AE100) again it does not respond to anything (always 0)

Do you have an idea how to test the RPM sensor. I have located it in the diesel pump. two wires are there. need to find how the sensor works. and at what voltages.

Thank you

No It did not work in the old one either. In old one when the ignition key is on before start RPM meter goes to around 1 and nothing happens after that. When I replaced with diesel RPM meter (CE101) it did not respond to key on. but goes above 6 and stuck in the other side (dial goes all the way to the other side and stuck there) immediately after start.

When I fix the petrol RPM meter (AE100) again it does not respond to anything (always 0)

Do you have an idea how to test the RPM sensor. I have located it in the diesel pump. two wires are there. need to find how the sensor works. and at what voltages.

Thank you

Well a simple test could be if the voltate changes at all. Then it can be compared to reference values. By the sounds of it, the sensor is either bust or there is a line breakage somewhere. These should not be too difficult to diagnose by yourself.

Hello,

Where I can buy Speedometer and RPM Meter for my AE100 (petrol) Car? Please help currently both meters are not working. Thank you

Try the Delkanda area. Being a popular model I'm sure there are plenty of items available.

Guys in my bluebird u13, all the speedometers and the sensor lights are working but the gear shift display lights are not working. The complete gear indicator light column is pitch black even in the afternoon, I dont see the gear indicators at all. What might be the issue?

Edited by PreseaLover

1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

Guys in my bluebird u13, all the speedometers and the sensor lights are working but the gear shift display lights are not working. The complete gear indicator light column is pitch black even in the afternoon, I dont see the gear indicators at all. What might be the issue?

Just check the bulbs first. It has 6 or 7 bulbs for the gear indicator. Normally people don't change meter bulbs when it burns out.

17 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

you mean to remove the odometer and check?

well yeah..not the odometer but the meter cluster....if you are referring to the lever position lights on the meter cluster. Could be the bulbs or could be the wiring from the lever itself (can get worn out over time). Worst case scenario is that the cluster circuitry is damaged at which point you either just need to live with it or try to get it fixed or replaced.

1 minute ago, iRage said:

well yeah..not the odometer but the meter cluster....if you are referring to the lever position lights on the meter cluster. Could be the bulbs or could be the wiring from the lever itself (can get worn out over time). Worst case scenario is that the cluster circuitry is damaged at which point you either just need to live with it or try to get it fixed or replaced.

Cant live. If i have a car I need it to be picture perfect. Thanks mate. Il take it to the popular odometer dudes in SL to check. 

10 hours ago, PRAGIN said:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n510893424

Then this is the only option you have. But it's costly. 😀

yeah i saw that and saved to buy it if i dont have a choice. but its not that costly. In Sri Lanka it costs more. I have bought a center panel for presea for a price higher than that. So this is cheap comparatively

There is a old time guy and capable fellow who fixes these and also has spares and new units.  In some models, once you remove the gauge, the speedo and other needles fall out - hence take care as calibration is needed thee after. - Faced this with the Nissan as I tired to replace a bub.... Not like the Mazda ones

The location - In front of Kirulapone Police, there is a road, go on that road for about 200m, and the place is on the left side , just as you take a small hill, the road leads to baseline road.

He know his stuff and has been there for ages ---

Also a trend nowadays with crazy prices of cars - removing warning bulbs or pasting Instillation tape  over it - have come across a few ..... So take care  when buying .....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mazdaspeed said:

There is a old time guy and capable fellow who fixes these and also has spares and new units.  In some models, once you remove the gauge, the speedo and other needles fall out - hence take care as calibration is needed thee after. - Faced this with the Nissan as I tired to replace a bub.... Not like the Mazda ones

The location - In front of Kirulapone Police, there is a road, go on that road for about 200m, and the place is on the left side , just as you take a small hill, the road leads to baseline road.

Also a trend nowadays with crazy prices of cars - removing warning bulbs or pasting Instillation tape  over it - have come across a few ..... So take care  when buying .....

thanks man,yes hoping to take the car to them :) 

12 hours ago, mazdaspeed said:

Edited by PreseaLover