• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tire Air Leak

GayanR

Question

Guys there is an air leak in one of my car tires.Showed it to my hometown tire house, seems to be air leaking from alloy wheel seals,they sand paper the beading and refitted.But still tire getting flat out within like a week..could you plz recommend me a place around colombo to seal alloy wheels and get this fixed.Tanx

Edited by GayanR

24 answers to this question

Member walkernet,

Can you describe what type of crack on your Alloy wheel. If you send a picture to AL I will be able to help you how to get same repaired, without damaging the wheel structure. If the wheel gets out of shape by welding then the air leak will be more. Have to use a tube in to the Tyre, thereby you can get rid of the air leak. I used a vehicle for few years with one wheel like that way by inserting a tube, then have to balance that wheel before fixing on to your vehicle.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

Guys there is an air leak in one of my car tires.Showed it to my hometown tire house, seems to be air leaking from alloy wheel seals,they sand paper the beading and refitted.But still tire getting flat out within like a week..could you plz recommend me a place around colombo to seal alloy wheels and get this fixed.Tanx

I had the same issue with one tire of my car and it was fixed when applied the tire air sealant. I don't recall the actual brand name of that product but they are now available in lot of places. They have a chart and according to the tire capacity they inject the appropriate sealant through the valve. I applied it to my two front wheels and cost me 1600 LKR.

However, after a weak I visited car ca*e for wheel alignment and they asked me whether I have applied this particular sealant because they couldn't balance those two wheels due to the sealant is fluctuating inside the tire. There is no affect to wheel alignment, only the balancing could not be done.

I had the same issue with one tire of my car and it was fixed when applied the tire air sealant. I don't recall the actual brand name of that product but they are now available in lot of places. They have a chart and according to the tire capacity they inject the appropriate sealant through the valve. I applied it to my two front wheels and cost me 1600 LKR.

However, after a weak I visited car ca*e for wheel alignment and they asked me whether I have applied this particular sealant because they couldn't balance those two wheels due to the sealant is fluctuating inside the tire. There is no affect to wheel alignment, only the balancing could not be done.

Tanx Amila for the info.I went to to this Amila Tyre garage in hill street.Got it resolved by applying some sealant and smoothing the alloy wheel beading.Hope it will last

Guys reviving an old thread since I have a tire leak.
I am loosing about 5-6 psi per week on my left front tire. I have tried 3 places arround Kotte but none were able to diagnose any punctures or leaks. Everytime the tire is put in the water barrel there are no bubles coming.

What could be the cause? Is there any tire shop equipped with some sort of a high tech solution like a machine other than the water barrel technique?

I had a similar issue, but managed to find it with the water barrel technique after much struggle. There was a small nail inside the tire threads, too small to notice the bubbles if you didn't look hard. In my case I lost about 3-4 units a week with this puncture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Stig said:

Guys reviving an old thread since I have a tire leak.
I am loosing about 5-6 psi per week on my left front tire. I have tried 3 places arround Kotte but none were able to diagnose any punctures or leaks. Everytime the tire is put in the water barrel there are no bubles coming.

What could be the cause? Is there any tire shop equipped with some sort of a high tech solution like a machine other than the water barrel technique?

Any chance that your tires are Champiro GT's , because I had the same issue with them

I guess I will have to do it the hard way. Thinking about going to U&h on the weekend since that is where I bought the tires.

@Maxii
No the tires are bridgestone.
Did you have the issue with all 4 tires?

6 hours ago, The Stig said:

I guess I will have to do it the hard way. Thinking about going to U&h on the weekend since that is where I bought the tires.

Did you try the spray bottle method? Basically fill a spray bottle with soapy water (shampoo works best) and spray all over the tyre and carefully look for bubbles. Pay close attention to the bead of the tyre (both sides) and also check the valve stem as well. Pretty simple DIY job and works better than submerging in water if the leak is very small like yours. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davy said:

Did you try the spray bottle method? Basically fill a spray bottle with soapy water (shampoo works best) and spray all over the tyre and carefully look for bubbles. Pay close attention to the bead of the tyre (both sides) and also check the valve stem as well. Pretty simple DIY job and works better than submerging in water if the leak is very small like yours. 

No didnt try that, ill give it a shot.

One thing i have noticed it that the tire looses more pressure when the car is left idle for 1-2 days. I pumped 30psi on Tuesday and checked today and it was at 29 psi.

As Davy has mentioned; Keep a close attention to the area where your rim meets the tire (tire bead). Sometimes teeny weeny leaks in this area cannot be diagnosed by submerging the tire inside a barrel as the water pressure would be too heavy. Instead try what Davy has mentioned or else keep the tire on a flat surface and pour little bit of water around the bead and observe carefully. The latter method helped me to diagnose a similar leak which was caused by a small sticker getting stuck between the rubber bead and the rim.

6 hours ago, walkernet said:

Hi All,

One of the alloy wheel in my Vitz has a small crack/hole and leaking air in a slow rate. Anyone knows a place to repair the alloy wheel using any method. The tires are ok, no punctures or anything.

Go to U&H union Place .They have a person who does wheel repairs. Very skilled guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trinity said:

Go to U&H union Place .They have a person who does wheel repairs. Very skilled guy.

@trinity U&H on Malay Street in Slave Island you mean?

O.T; that whole neighbourhood has changed in the last month - U&H, MM Noorbhoy & Amila tyre are the last few buildings left. Everything else has been razed to the ground ? 

Amila is no longer present on Union Place in Dehiwala but Ravindra tyre house still is

U&H if I am not mistaken was the pioneer who started Mechanized Tyre removing, Owner was in M/E for few years came down and started  the business in a rented house converting to a Tyre repair shop. Later he owned that building.

MM Noorboy exchanged that Slave island building to their very old eshtablished business building about 30 years back to their Pettah off Main street Old butcher street building established over 100 years ago by the present chairmen  Mr .Asgar's father. 

I still have very large table covered with original Perspex Sheet which bought 36 years ago in very good condition from them.

Above is history of that road.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

13 hours ago, Sylvi said:

U&H if I am not mistaken was the pioneer who started Mechanized Tyre removing, Owner was in M/E for few years came down and started  the business in a rented house converting to a Tyre repair shop. Later he owned that building.

MM Noorboy exchanged that Slave island building to their very old eshtablished business building about 30 years back to their Pettah off Main street Old butcher street building established over 100 years ago by the present chairmen  Mr .Asgar's father. 

I still have very large table covered with original Perspex Sheet which bought 36 years ago in very good condition from them.

Above is history of that road.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Mr @Sylvi Wijesinghe, they retain two buildings on Malay Street now - one acts as a car part and is behind where the old Castle Hotel once stood. The second which I think you're referring to is on the opposite side. That block seems to be safe for now, but the ones on the same side as the De Soysa buildings are likely to be torn down based on the fact that almost all the buildings already have :(

You are spot on regarding the quality of their branded items - they represent Yale here as well right?

They were pioneers in introducing laminated surfaces to Sri Lanka with the "Formica" brand I believe.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:44 PM, Devinda_Z said:

@trinity U&H on Malay Street in Slave Island you mean?

O.T; that whole neighbourhood has changed in the last month - U&H, MM Noorbhoy & Amila tyre are the last few buildings left. Everything else has been razed to the ground ? 

Amila is no longer present on Union Place in Dehiwala but Ravindra tyre house still is

Yes Devinda, they don’t employ the person but it’s through them only he can be contacted. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Mr @Sylvi Wijesinghe, they retain two buildings on Malay Street now - one acts as a car part and is behind where the old Castle Hotel once stood. The second which I think you're referring to is on the opposite side. That block seems to be safe for now, but the ones on the same side as the De Soysa buildings are likely to be torn down based on the fact that almost all the buildings already have :(

You are spot on regarding the quality of their branded items - they represent Yale here as well right?

They were pioneers in introducing laminated surfaces to Sri Lanka with the "Formica" brand I believe.

U&H has two other large buildings in nearby church street which they operate as a garage. It’s name is Auto Box. I’ve obtained their services several times and can say that their work is good. 

2 hours ago, trinity said:

U&H has two other large buildings in nearby church street which they operate as a garage. It’s name is Auto Box. I’ve obtained their services several times and can say that their work is good. 

Oh interesting

I've hear of them but didn't know who ran the place

I think TAAS sends them work for KYB installation

8 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Oh interesting

I've hear of them but didn't know who ran the place

I think TAAS sends them work for KYB installation

I think so, TAAS also sends their customers to a joint at Vauxhall st run by an old gentleman. Small and clean place, and I think their primary job is replacing shocks sent by TAAS :) . Auto Box is a big garage, they have about 6-8 car lift jacks, a wheel alignment unit, wash bay and can accommodate many vehicles at once. 

TAAS,

Mr Goonawardane and another person started that business more than 25 years ago, they have quality products what ever they deal with. long ago I told them to get down a Shock absorb-er testing machine, I don't think they still have done that. I mentioned to Mr, Goonawardana then charge a small amount, do the testing and sell a quality product what they deal with, the buyer will be satisfied for their service and they offer will know how bad is their used part.

Members can watch this machine on You tube.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

Members,

Last afternoon I spoke to Mr. Asger friend for more than 40 years, present owner of the M M Noorbhoy. had a very long chat with him. His cousin Mr Turab was handling all my Vehicle imports during  late 1970 late to1987.  Before I switch on to Tea color separators made in japan. At present he resides very close my residence, he promised to come for a chat then I can find out about the Colombo 02. Building present situation.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1