• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Where To Buy A Powersteering Rack?

vandeyj

My Corona AT170 was leaking some oil from its rack on the left side. Initially it was just few drops but later it got worse. Took it to the garage & removed. the shaft has few minor scratches. Mechanic suspects this due to some sand that has entered from the boot (it had a small hole). some say i can take the shaft to a lathe place and do some jilmart to get it fixed but the mechanic says it is better to replace it.

So im am after a complete rack or a good shaft (as i heard ppl normally dont sell only the shaft), i called few places in wijerama they did nio t have, any places you can suggest to buy one?

Entire rack..

1-rack-diagram-700.jpg

Or just the shaft..

110734-md.jpg

i dont think its so difficult to source the part.

anyway my personal experience is.

this rack repair is not a perfect job unless its done by proper experienced mechanic with precision.

had to repair same rack 3 times on my car.

on 4th time i got it done with a mechanic in downsouth and it worked like a charm.butter smooth steering.

but after all these my suggestion is, go for used jap rack.

fix it and forget it.

and use proper dextron 2 oil from toyota or mobil.

stay away from STR OR CALT*X common auto oil.

search around panchikawatte "watte".

you can spot a one.

if i remember correct same rack is used in carina 170 and corolla 100 series.not sure though.

good luck

Edited by chan5

:)

I got the carina AT 170 power steering entire rack from sesatha about two months back.

Its opposite dai lanka at delkanda if i remember right.

Ok the price was 20K...yes I know its expensive, :sad-smiley-067: but i needed to find one within a couple of days...so bought it...and lucky to get a real good one..car runs smooth now.

try them out. I am not 100% sure but I have a feeling its the same for both carina and corona (170 models)

Edited by kalingabd