• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Finally Got Money Now What !. Starlet, Kelisa, 110 Any Other? I'm Confused

hiru555

Question

Update : Bought a starlet. Details see the thread.

Hi fellows. My question is a big and like a question paper :) but hope it will help you to give me a good answer.

My requirements are

• Manual gear car with good fuel economy.
  • budget around 1.1-1.4 and max 1.65
  • A good resale value. not sure how long Im going to keep it. Maybe from 3 to 5+ years
  • I prefer diesels because we own a townace lotto van (57-xxxx) in our family for about 10years now. Did a full engine overhaul about 8 years back@ edirisinhas and still no any problem.
  • I don't want a fast car and ok with the town-ace like performance and feel.
  • Don't care about boot space but leg space will be needed.
  • Prefer hatchbacks but sedans are too ok.
  • My monthly traveling will be bellow 500km but if its good for pocket will do more.

I've read over 2,3 times the threads that talks about above models in topics. But i need more to decide.

Edited by hiru555

Thought I should add my experience since I have been using a starlet EP91 which my dad bought for me and its been close to 6 years now.

Its a 1997 AT EP91 and has run close to 150k kms. Had no any major repairs since I got it. I usually do the service every 3.5-4k kms and tune up once a year from toyota.

I have driven some Indian small cars (Maruti and TATA Hatch(not nano)) and i can tell you its way better than a brand new one of those two in terms of ease of driving, ride and comfort.

Fuel consumption is around 12 or 13kmpl around cmb ( just a rough figure) but it does close to 17kmpl on the hgway.

The only problems are that it gives some rattling noises on a bumpy road ( probably from plastics in the dash) and the space at the back is not enough if you push the front seats a little more to the back but i think thats common to all hatches.

If you are looking for a car with comfortable space for 4 or 5 adults then better to go for a 110 I think and IMO better to go for a japanese.

Edited by hondacivic

saw a Suzuki kei kar with 660cc engine.. I think I've read somewhere in AL the 660 engine is not enough much. and does bad on fuel. anyone who knows about them. Its ok with less performance thing thogh.

Thanks for your replies fellows.

I'm too fed-up searching "starlets". there are plenty of auto gear ones but few manuals. and the condition of the most vehicles are not acceptable. Some people use them just for drive. No maintenance. English plated ones are expensive hmm..

saw a Suzuki kei kar with 660cc engine.. I think I've read somewhere in AL the 660 engine is not enough much. and does bad on fuel. anyone who knows about them. Its ok with less performance thing thogh.

Thanks for your replies fellows.

I'm too fed-up searching "starlets". there are plenty of auto gear ones but few manuals. and the condition of the most vehicles are not acceptable. Some people use them just for drive. No maintenance. English plated ones are expensive hmm..

Some keis Are all wheel drive, and 660cc turbocharged. Tgose should be a hoot to drive

:) then Kei are too off the list.

In this case I'll have to re consider about the auto gear ones (starlets). coz there are so much of them

I haven't actually got a chance to drive any auto gear ones even I've been driving for 10 years now.

Are they good than manual. What is your opinion.

:) then Kei are too off the list.

In this case I'll have to re consider about the auto gear ones (starlets). coz there are so much of them

I haven't actually got a chance to drive any auto gear ones even I've been driving for 10 years now.

Are they good than manual. What is your opinion.

You are not going to buy a car in this lifetime bro...:P

saw a Suzuki kei kar with 660cc engine.. I think I've read somewhere in AL the 660 engine is not enough much. and does bad on fuel. anyone who knows about them. Its ok with less performance thing though.

It depends on what you use it for....if you are going to put 4 adults in it and drive up mountains you would wish some one would de-skin you with a plastic knife. However if you are just going to be driving around (uhummm..being stuck in) Colombo like traffic then it won't be too bad.

Have used a Suzuki MRWagon and a Turbo charged Suzuki Cervo the latter was definitely a hoot to drive...

On the subject of Starlets for some reason I am seeing a few EP70 series Turbo GTs (Well TURBO Rs to be specific) for sale online....only a few seem to be original specimens though...

Hi All, :)

Thank you for all your replies and helps...

At last I bought a EP91 starlet. for a reasonable price with good condition.

It was very hard to find a good specimen. Almost all of them are abused by users. they want only to ride no maintenance.

In Some cars engines are worn out. some had accidents, some are modified removing original parts.....

MT are very less numbers in this model.

However I'm happy with the current choice. Only thing is the paint I don't like the color much. Hope to change the color to a Light blue metallic. Will have to ask questions on that..later.

However I'm happy with the current choice. Only thing is the paint I don't like the color much. Hope to change the color to a Light blue metallic. Will have to ask questions on that..later.

How about white. Less heat and scratches are not much visible compared to dark colors.. :)

dscf6132.jpg

Can we see her? some pics please... :)

It was very hard to find a good specimen. Almost all of them are abused by users. they want only to ride no maintenance.

In Some cars engines are worn out. some had accidents, some are modified removing original parts.....

MT are very less numbers in this model.

congratulations please share the pics of the car

also did you ask the prev owner about the timing belt change if ur not sure if he is telling the truth just go ahead and change it to save future nightmares!

Hi fellows here we go.... :party-smiley-019:
starlet_back.jpg
inner.jpg
starlet_side.jpg
starlet_front.jpg

How about white. Less heat and scratches are not much visible compared to dark colors..
:)

Congrats machan! post some pics please.

Adey yes congrats on your purchase. Was following this thread and noticed you were partial to a starlet. Upload some pics.

We're always find of auto-babies (cars bought from AL advise) like bracket's BRATT!

Congrats on your purchase. Please update some photos.

Can we see her? some pics please...
:)

Edited by hiru555

Thanks Sampath.

Found some catalogs some ware else in AL but the links are dead. Also are there any user/ repair manuals. Cant find them any where. followed the AL threads too. But no luck.

Congratulations on the purchase! I'm with Crosswind on this one to keep the car as original as possible, although I don't think a decent set of alloys will ruin it. Or even an OEM spoiler! :)

Blue is a nice colour. You just need to restore the paint work. White was very common in Starlets and most were white sometimes with stickets.

Its funny how preferences for colour changes over time. When we got our first white car, everybody wanted metallic paint and white was unfasionable. They called it a comercial colour, but now everyone wants white and wine read. Tomorrow it will be another colour.

Personally I won't bother changing the colour of a car bought on a budget. The whole process is long, and sometimes the quality of the new paint is not the same as original.