• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Finally Got Money Now What !. Starlet, Kelisa, 110 Any Other? I'm Confused

hiru555

Question

Update : Bought a starlet. Details see the thread.

Hi fellows. My question is a big and like a question paper :) but hope it will help you to give me a good answer.

My requirements are

• Manual gear car with good fuel economy.
  • budget around 1.1-1.4 and max 1.65
  • A good resale value. not sure how long Im going to keep it. Maybe from 3 to 5+ years
  • I prefer diesels because we own a townace lotto van (57-xxxx) in our family for about 10years now. Did a full engine overhaul about 8 years back@ edirisinhas and still no any problem.
  • I don't want a fast car and ok with the town-ace like performance and feel.
  • Don't care about boot space but leg space will be needed.
  • Prefer hatchbacks but sedans are too ok.
  • My monthly traveling will be bellow 500km but if its good for pocket will do more.

I've read over 2,3 times the threads that talks about above models in topics. But i need more to decide.

Edited by hiru555

Hi hiru I'm not in a position to comment about starlet as I haven't owned one before but heard its really good ,But it is better not to think too much about every single detail,because it's all down to the car you brought when it comes to repairs,god knows what repairs will be waiting for u.May be there won't be any or you'll end up replacing every single part.Mind all these cars are well over 16 years old now. Since you are looking for a manual all the cars you mentioned will do just fine with petrol or diesel.I would recommend going for a petrol for a change and lesser repairs.Diesel spare parts are somewhat expensive than petrol versions and bit harder to come by when it comes to cars.

Judging from your post feel like you still have affections for a van like feeling.Don't think too much of fuel and don't keep big hopes of other car doing 1km more,because once a repair comes all the savings from fuel go down the rain...

Go for a starlet or a ae110,will do around 15+kmpl and there will be amble of parts, If you are looking for a newer car there is Mazda bj5p in that range

My cousin uncle once had a corsa diesel almost committed suicide with it,had nonstop repairs

Service cost for petrol will be lesser than a diesel.usually for an oil change,filter change vacuum and wash around 5000-8000 depending on the service center.

Finally go for a car you like and prefer to keep,something to look back after a drive since you are hoping keeping it for 3+ years,because if you buy a ugly car just for the sake of 1km more fuel,once it started giving trouble you'll feel like burning it up..

• Like 3

I have to ask ! Didn't you consider one of these ?

Sri+Lanka-2011141.jpg

Hey... This is not facebook to post joke photos. AL should have a good stranded and this kind of jokes or time/resource wasters should be eliminated. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/ one of the worlds largest forums and how they maintain standers. You are just a school leaver and go find some where else to play.

Edited by hiru555
  • Like 4

Hi hiru I'm not in a position to comment ..........

Thank you many times GayanR. you have given a lengthy answer covering many aspects and shearing your experiences. I really appreciate it.

Actually the listed cars here are what I liked ones. As you are telling the petrol will be good when it comes to cars. Only thing I don't like in Loto is its suspension is not comfy. :).

Dear Pericles.

What car you are telling me to avoid. I've asked many and you are suggesting me a Cadlina ? Hmm... nice car

Thank you many times GayanR. you have given a lengthy answer covering many aspects and shearing your experiences. I really appreciate it.

Actually the listed cars here are what I liked ones. As you are telling the petrol will be good when it comes to cars. Only thing I don't like in Loto is its suspension is not comfy. :).

Kelissa will be too small for you,not a car with good second hand value,space or parts availability..Take it out from the list.You are better off buying a starlet than a Toyota duet.It's rare and second hand value is not stable.You have a choice between ae110,starlet and mazda bj5p.Go for the petrol..

Dear Pericles.

What car you are telling me to avoid. I've asked many and you are suggesting me a Cadlina ? Hmm... nice car

if you follow that thread you will see that one of our members crashed his Caldina, the insurance company wrote it off because it was a complete wreckand then some other chap bought the wrecked car and is now trying to sell the very same wrecked car.

So Pericles is telling you to avoid a car like that ! He is not recommending that particular Caldina !!

Kelissa will be too small for you,not a car with good second hand value,space or parts availability..Take it out from the list.You are better off buying a starlet than a Toyota duet.It's rare and second hand value is not stable.You have a choice between ae110,starlet and mazda bj5p.Go for the petrol..

Yes. Duet is already out of my list. I'm based in Kandy and spares will be a issue. starlet and kelisa I wonder the kelisa is 2008 and this one listed is just 12.75 that's why I'm concerned about it.

Found a starlet (Petrol) in kandy for 13.75. Owner is a docter I'm planing to have a visit tomorrow. 110 and mazda is little high in price and if im going it will be a 110. I havn't followed about mazdas in AL will look into it too.

if you follow that thread you will see that one of our members crashed his Caldina, the insurance company wrote it off because it was a complete wreckand then some other chap bought the wrecked car and is now trying to sell the very same wrecked car.

So Pericles is telling you to avoid a car like that ! He is not recommending that particular Caldina !!

ah... Got it. I just saw that post when he made it. found that now its grown and lot of posts are there. Have to read them.

Thanks mate.

Edited by hiru555

When it comes to a 15+ old car I would also recommend a petrol over diesel. Having said that, one of my friends own a diesel camry cv30, he had no major repairs up to date except few electrical issues. Like GyanR mentioned, its all down to the specimen you choose.

AE110 is a good choice if you can afford it. Try to find a manual. Starlet also is a good car but I dont know about the leg space.

• Like 1

beacuse your monthly travel is less than 500kms.

i Highly advice you to stick into a petrol car.

probably a good starlet with autogear and english plates.

dont worry so much about small mechanical niggles.you can sort them out cheap.consider about interior and body.

to juice out the profit from a diesel car, You should be covering more and more miles per month.with your amount of use it is not profitable at all considering the revenue licence and regualar service cost.left alone the additional repairs.

if the blue starlet you are talking is the one with Glanza bodykit @kurunagala.

just forget it. engine is shot and owner is retarded mad doesnt admit it.

after all, if you are so stick to a diesel.

toyota Diesels of 90s are rugged mechines can bare up lot of torture.

starlet diesel comes with 1N engine and its certainly powerless.you will be a laughing stock at lights.recurrent engine mount failures are commen.leg space is enough for avarage person.better go for petrol version.

corolla 65 series will be in your reach and it has 2C engine.that is a hell of a engine where easily managable elanywehere.with ample parts supply.

If you search enough you can get hold of 65 series corona/carina with 2C turbo engine.which would be the best choice.

but be carefull beacuse almost all of them are tortured by el chepos who run them.and qoute sky high values.but its a comfy,spacious car.or you can go for 300 series versions on that budget.

And i am the person who totelled that perticular caldina,

dont worry even if it comes in any colour or shape.it must have the Asian Alliance insurance as a prevoius owner.

caldina is a good car if you dont mind the wagon body shape.

try to find CZTurbo varient.

but again i repeat.

Go for Petrol beacuse limited use.

my preference list.

Starlet Reflet.

Corolla 110.

Carina AT210 pre facelift.

Mazda BJ5P pre facelift.

Nissan N16.

Honda EK3.

Edited by chan5

When it comes to a 15+ old car I would also recommend a petrol over diesel. Having said that, one of my friends own a diesel camry cv30, he had no major repairs up to date except few electrical issues. Like GyanR mentioned, its all down to the specimen you choose.

AE110 is a good choice if you can afford it. Try to find a manual. Starlet also is a good car but I dont know about the leg space.

Thanks Reckless

I'm definitely after a Manual. AE110 are there for around 14.5 little difference compared to the only starlet I found in reasonable price. What can you tell about the Kelisa 2008 model. Don't know If I can post the links as all of them are from a popular classified site out side AL

beacuse your monthly travel is less than 500kms.

i Highly advice you to stick into a petrol car.

probably a good starlet with autogear and english plates.

dont worry so much about small mechanical niggles.you can sort them out cheap.consider about interior and body.

to juice out the profit from a diesel car, You should be covering more and more miles per month.with your amount of use it is not profitable at all considering the revenue licence and regualar service cost.left alone the additional repairs.

if the blue starlet you are talking is the one with Glanza bodykit @kurunagala.

just forget it. engine is shot and owner is retarded mad doesnt admit it.

after all, if you are so stick to a diesel.

toyota Diesels of 90s are workhorses. you can beat them to death but still it will run.

starlet diesel comes with 1N engine and its certainly powerless.you will be a laughing stock at lights.recurrent engine mount failures are commen.

corolla 65 series will be in your reach and it has 2C engine.that is a hell of a engine where easily managable elanywehere.

If you search enough you can get hold of 65 series corona/carina with 2C turbo engine.which would be the best choice.

but be carefull beacuse almost all of them are tortured by el chepos who run them.

Its not the Kurunegala one I'll Pm you the link. and its too a blue one at Gampaha. No body kits. actually I'f its a diesel I'll do more miles as it feels less for the pocket. And 2C engines... Same engine in townace so there are more chasers. CE110s are costly. Do you know any thing about ce114 I havn't heard about it anywhere.

Thanks for the reply pal.

CE110 65 series can be brought for 1.4-1.55 m these days.

dont pay a penny beyond this.

i been searching for one last month.

and go bargain.around 1.5m.

CE 114 is all wheel drive model of 110 which has low matket value for unknown reason in sri lanka.otherwise same car.

• Like 1

You mean 4wheel drive.. Hmmm

I too searched for ce110. owners expecting Nearly 20 for them.

Have to look again.

By the way see you PM I sent you links.

Hi,

My previous car was a 1997 CE110 (Toyota Sprinter) Diesel with a 2C engine. Decent vehicle but I never got the fuel economy that the Corolla 110 series claimed to have. I got around 10kmpl on average I think. Funnily enough after about 3-4 years of driving that car I never bothered to do a proper fuel efficiency check .Mine was an automatic and I used that car roughly with foot heavy on the accelerator almost all the time. These can take quite a bit of a beating - and the engine has plenty of power to carry the car in any geographical region. I did have to do an engine overhaul at around 150000km mark as I remember.

However, these cars are now 15+ years old - mine too started giving little niggly problems towards the end. Nothing major - but annoying and time wasting. So just be careful with what you buy esp if it's 15+ years old. You should be able to get a 65 series one for around 1.5 if you research (sold mine for 15.5 about 6 months back). 2.0 mil for this car is way overpriced.

Edited by ramishkad

I have driven many many cars in my life. The car that gave me the most pleasurable ride was my Austin Mini and the second was a 2008 manual Kelisa. It's a lovely little thing to drive around in Colombo and does about 15 to the litre. All spares are available (including body parts) in delkanda. Just ask for L700 Daihatsu Mira. Never tell them it's a Kelisa, they will jackup the price. Everything inside it, is from Daihatsu so it's quite reliable.

I can't believe some retards are still talking about resale value of Toyotas! You know very well the 110s which were sold for 2million+ a year ago are being sold for around 1.6 now! I sold that 2008 Kelisa for 13.75 about 1 1/2 years ago and the asking price seems to be in the same range even now. So which car is holding its market, I wonder?

Search the forum if you need more info. It's there.

Edited by Crosswind

CE110 owners are quoting extraorbitant price tags.

you just ignore them and give your offer.

somebody with a real need of selling the car will agree.

and 65 series 110 is going around 1.5m. dont pay a penny beyond 1.55.

go for the sellers who really need to dispose the car and upgrade.

most of toyota diesels are used by cheapos and their argument is, "my price is 2.5 m rupee.if i get offer above 2.4 i will consider.unless i will keeep it forever.no problem beacuse this is a hell of a car."

I have driven many many cars in my life. The car that gave me the most pleasurable ride was my Austin Mini and the second was a 2008 manual Kelisa. It's a lovely little thing to drive around in Colombo and does about 15 to the litre. All spares are available (including body parts) in delkanda. Just ask for L700 Daihatsu Mira. Never tell them it's a Kelisa, they will jackup the price. Everything inside it, is from Daihatsu so it's quite reliable.

I can't believe some retards are still talking about resale value of Toyotas! You know very well the 110s which were sold for 2million+ a year ago are being sold for around 1.6 now! I sold that 2008 Kelisa for 13.75 about 1 1/2 years ago and the asking price seems to be in the same range even now. So which car is holding its market, I wonder?

Search the forum if you need more info. It's there.

Nice. Yes there are more threads. And so much of AL members have told me that its very good. Also If you can tell us more about the kelisa you owed. What kind of spares do you had to find frequently. and. the regular service costs etc. Any other infro that you have to share with.

most of toyota diesels are used by cheapos and their argument is, "my price is 2.5 m rupee.if i get offer above 2.4 i will consider.unless i will keeep it forever.no problem beacuse this is a hell of a car."

Heh. Same with the starlet owners. there is a english plated diesel starlet at Asgiriya. Owner is expecting 19.5 :)

I still see the add now for months. :sport-smiley-004:

Also somebody please tell me revenue licence for diesel is higher than a petrol ?. what will be the margin ?

Hi,

My previous car was a 1997 CE110 (Toyota Sprinter) Diesel with a 2C engine. Decent vehicle but I never got the fuel economy that the Corolla 110 series claimed to have. I got around 10kmpl on average I think. Funnily enough after about 3-4 years of driving that car I never bothered to do a proper fuel efficiency check .Mine was an automatic and I used that car roughly with foot heavy on the accelerator almost all the time. These can take quite a bit of a beating - and the engine has plenty of power to carry the car in any geographical region. I did have to do an engine overhaul at around 150000km mark as I remember.

However, these cars are now 15+ years old - mine too started giving little niggly problems towards the end. Nothing major - but annoying and time wasting. So just be careful with what you buy esp if it's 15+ years old. You should be able to get a 65 series one for around 1.5 if you research (sold mine for 15.5 about 6 months back). 2.0 mil for this car is way overpriced.

Yes the 2c engine is very good in my personal experience in townace. Once we caried a very havy load full in the back without back seats. from Kothmale. and this thing accelerates even in steep hills. I've read in AL that the 2c engine is the easiest engine to overhaul. (correct me if wrong)

Had to replace the gearbox mount (car had done 100000+). Unit#d Mot#rs wanted 27000 for it. Got it in Panchikawatta (Janatha motors) for about 4500. Had to replace the rear bumper due to an accident. Got one off a Mira that fit perfectly, from Japan Lanka Delkanda for 8000. That's all. Service cost is exactly same as any other car.

Had to replace the gearbox mount (car had done 100000+). Unit#d Mot#rs wanted 27000 for it. Got it in Panchikawatta (Janatha motors) for about 4500. Had to replace the rear bumper due to an accident. Got one off a Mira that fit perfectly, from Japan Lanka Delkanda for 8000. That's all. Service cost is exactly same as any other car.

Wooo 27000 vs 4500. Can you please quote some values (For services). I'm not aware about petrol cars and it actually did nearly 18 outstations I hope. at least without ac. correct ?

Edited by hiru555