• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice On First Drive Of A New Hybrid Vehicle

thara272

what are those EV,ECO and power modes and how to use them

Hope this article helps - http://prius.wikia.com/wiki/Operating_modes_(ECO,_Normal,_PWR_and_EV)

Second option would be joining your car model owners site;

Eg -

1. Assuming you are a prius owner - Go to http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home
  2. Go to Resources -> Manuals & Warranty -> Select car model & year to access the manuals.

In addition these sites will give you many other info like -

• Maintenance schedules
  • The services & repairs done to your car
  • Recall notifications, etc, etc..

But i'm not 100% sure whether these additional info is applicable when you buy from Toyota Lanka or Stafford Motors or any other other dealer. But better to check. And these owners sites are intended for these type of things.

KMeeg.

Most important advice to a first-time hybrid owner. You have all the right to drive at 20 km/h to save on fuel. But please stick to the left lane of the road and let others pass.

I have seen many posts over the years which lead me to belive that prius do well if you run below 30kmph. But this is not totally true. I do not understand why prius drivers are trying to do this, if they do.

Here are the facts.

I got a prius 3rd Gen 2 weeks back and went to Lunugamwehera last week. I kept an average of 100-120 kmph most of the time, of course I was tailgating few Discovery 4s and Prados :mosking: which helped me to cover from police radar :pardon: , and I'm still in old driving habits. The car gave me 23.4 kmpl consumption. The reason for this, I belive, is that I was keeping the power meter steady most of the time. This made me belive that 30kmph figure is a lie. Of cource if you run below 30, it will switch to EV mode, but you can do the same with 100 kmph by keeping the power meter steady.

• 2 weeks later...

well said. 100% agree. I have done 27+km/L in southern expressway . speed 90-100kmph. also 24+km/L Anuradhapura Colombo. in heavy traffic congestion in Colombo 16km/L. no need to drive slow. when you are speed up you'll save more. try it but better keep it below 110kmph. you can drive like a normal gasoline car.

vehicle axio hybrid

well said. 100% agree. I have done 27+km/L in southern expressway . speed 90-100kmph. also 24+km/L Anuradhapura Colombo. in heavy traffic congestion in Colombo 16km/L. no need to drive slow. when you are speed up you'll save more. try it but better keep it below 110kmph. you can drive like a normal gasoline car.

vehicle axio hybrid

Ah very nice car. i had the opertunity to drive one a month or so back. my cousin got one. pretty comfy as well. very good ground clearance compared to other cars in the same catagory. only thing is because the tyres are a bit slim when u view it from the front or the rear it looks a bit odd. would prefer a lil bit wide tyre, just for the sake of good looks :).

Ah very nice car. i had the opertunity to drive one a month or so back. my cousin got one. pretty comfy as well. very good ground clearance compared to other cars in the same catagory. only thing is because the tyres are a bit slim when u view it from the front or the rear it looks a bit odd. would prefer a lil bit wide tyre, just for the sake of good looks :).

takes 10.4 secs for going from 0~100kmph,and 30 secs for 0~100MPH? that is slooooooooowwww...even a minivan will go faster.one of the main aspects of "Fun-to-drive" is accelaration,which this mama-car Prius does not have at all.and keeping the "power meter steady" will kill whatever excitement is left.

for me driving a rented 2014 Prius was the same experience as riding a taxi.

anyway if I go broke and still decide to buy one because I cant afford to pump petrol for my car and expect more than 600kms out of a full-tank ,I will make sure it is fixed by Toyota Lanka for the recall.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15973-toyota-prius-honda-fit-vezel-recall-information/?hl=prius

Edited by osaka_dude

only thing is because the tyres are a bit slim when u view it from the front or the rear it looks a bit odd. would prefer a lil bit wide tyre, just for the sake of good looks :).

That car will still look odd with any kind of tire.

• Like 1

takes 10.4 secs for going from 0~100kmph,and 30 secs for 0~100MPH? that is slooooooooowwww...even a minivan will go faster.one of the main aspects of "Fun-to-drive" is accelaration,which this mama-car Prius does not have at all.and keeping the "power meter steady" will kill whatever excitement is left.

for me driving a rented 2014 Prius was the same experience as riding a taxi.

Agree :). However, I'm still not in a shape to drive for fun. and may be never will be due to the family commitments. So I can live with whatever the acceleration it has. BTW, I had a diesel FB14. I'm more than happy to have this acceleration than what I had :speechless-smiley-004:

I think the below comments are contradictory

Agree :). However, I'm still not in a shape to drive for fun. and may be never will be due to the family commitments. So I can live with whatever the acceleration it has. BTW, I had a diesel FB14. I'm more than happy to have this acceleration than what I had :speechless-smiley-004:
I got a prius 3rd Gen 2 weeks back and went to Lunugamwehera last week. I kept an average of 100-120 kmph most of the time, of course I was tailgating few Discovery 4s and Prados :mosking: which helped me to cover from police radar :pardon: , and I'm still in old driving habits.

Some Acceleration and Having a little fun is not allowed by your family commitments,but Tailgating at 120kmph covering from police radar is safe?

Do you know in what shape your Prius would be if it rear-ended a Discovery 4 at these speeds,due to not keeping enough braking distance?

And FYI,post-Year 2000 Euro diesels provide much better acceleration and similar fuel efficiency(17km/l,but diesel is cheaper) than Hybrids at the same time.

Edited by osaka_dude