• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Economy Of My Toyota Belta

codexdj

I have a belta, 2007, 1.3cc, 2sz-fe engine. Just calculated the fuel usage after my round trip to trinco from puttalam. It did about 17km/l(with ac). I maintained the speed within the range 80-95kmph most of the time thinking that it is the optimum speed for the engine(yet to confirm by you experts). I would like to know if these figures (fuel and optimum speed range) are acceptable for the vehicle/engine.

Also I would like to know if there is any way to improve.

Thank you

I have a belta, 2007, 1.3cc, 2sz-fe engine. Just calculated the fuel usage after my round trip to trinco from puttalam. It did about 17km/l(with ac). I maintained the speed within the range 80-95kmph most of the time thinking that it is the optimum speed for the engine(yet to confirm by you experts). I would like to know if these figures (fuel and optimum speed range) are acceptable for the vehicle/engine.

Thank you

If I were you, I'd be happy with those figures. It's an internal combustion engine, not a miracle worker that gives you 40+kms per liter!

To answer your question though, those figures are correct. You won't get any more kms per liter from that engine/gearbox combo. We own one ourselves.

No, this is not the optimum speed, if the air temperature is 27 C, if you maintained 87.294 Kmph, then the expected value is 21.6437 Kmpl.

So try to maintain that speed , acceptable tolerance is 0.005% .

• Like 1

Thank you

This has better fuel efficiency than my hybrid car. Congrats.

Thank you

I also wanted to find out the optimum speed for my vehicle and carried out a small experiment in southern highway.

Car used is Toyota Alion 240 2004 1.5L and I used Tachyon T1 BT tool and its Android app to do the experiment.

Results:

75kmph – 19km/l

80kmph – 21 km/l

85kmph – 20.5km/l

90kmph – 19km/l

100kmph – 17km/l

So, 80kmph is the optimum speed for my vehicle.

At 100Kmh, my fuel gauge needle moves faster than the speedo.... :)

Seriously people, there is more to car ownership than staring at your fiuel figures. If you guys are so so worried about the fuel consumption of an average Jab econo-box, I seriously suggest you start taking public transport or walk.cycle to your destinations. Speeds are determined not by the ideal fuel consumption but by road and traffic conditions. You cant do 80kmph on Duplication Road, nor can you do 80kmps on either of the expressways... use your fcking brains, if you have one, without jeopardizing yours, your passengers and other road user lives trying to be bloody 25 cent thel hingannas and save a few buck here and there.

You can afford a 5 million rupee car, and you are worried about few kmpls?????

Seriously????

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 5

I also wanted to find out the optimum speed for my vehicle and carried out a small experiment in southern highway.

Car used is Toyota Alion 240 2004 1.5L and I used Tachyon T1 BT tool and its Android app to do the experiment.

Results:

75kmph – 19km/l

80kmph – 21 km/l

85kmph – 20.5km/l

90kmph – 19km/l

100kmph – 17km/l

oh! you should have tried 50. you will be surprised :)

Results:

75kmph – 19km/l

80kmph – 21 km/l

85kmph – 20.5km/l

90kmph – 19km/l

100kmph – 17km/l

Actually the ideal speed for Allion 240 is 37km/h on highways and 81km/h in traffic. WIth my experiments I got 23.634km/l and 22.163km/l respectively

• Like 4

Results:

75kmph – 19km/l

80kmph – 21 km/l

85kmph – 20.5km/l

90kmph – 19km/l

100kmph – 17km/l

Today I learned everyone else on Autolanka has better fuel economy than my car, even though its a hybrid. I mean hybrids are supposed to save fuel RIGHT?

On a more serious note, I dont think there there is any such thing as an 'optimal speed'. If you decide on a optimal speed based on FUEL ECONOMY and drive with that mindset you will either drive too slow and waste everyones time, or drive dangerously and put everyone lives in danger.

Optimal speed constantly changes and has a lot of variables affecting it such as road conditions, amount of traffic, amount of pedestrians, weather and so on. Dont do the mistake of calculating it to save a couple of liters of fuel. Plus I have noticed that driving to save fuel at night increases the chance of falling asleep. I am not kidding.

• Like 3

so based on that logic, it takes you 5.88 liters to go to galle from colombo, if going at 100kmph, and 4.87 liters if at 85kmph.

that's 1001 cc of petrol. for Rs. 170/-

moreover, you'd go slow on the expressway, get in other people's way, to save Rs. 170 every time you do a 100km.

now you know why the term "thel hinganna" was coined in the first place.

in comparison, my car does 13kmpl on the E01. that's 7.69 liters (my god, no?) which is 2.82 liters more than yours per 100km

my car cost me 1.4 million. yours cost you 5.2 million? so, in essencse, that's 3,800,000 rupees to save 3 liters of fuel per 100km on expressways.

so let's assume for the sake of argument, that we run everyday to galle and back, that's 200km round trip. every single day.

per trip, that's i spend 964.40 rupees more than you on that. per month, that's 28,933.20. 347,198.40 per year. i bet you're nodding your head now going "eika thamai mama kiwwe"

bear with me a little longer. like i said, 3,800,000 rupees you've spent extra. so, that means 10.94 years it would take you to recover that extra money yuo've spent, to save fuel.

this is without adjusting for inflation, granted. but i think you get the drift.

so let's adjust for inflation.

http://www.ceypetco.gov.lk/History.htm

according to that, petrol 95 octane went up from Rs. 67/- to Rs. 170/- in the last ten years. taking that as a rough guide (im' not good at maths) let's say Rs. 10/- per year.

so, let's say petrol kept increasing at Rs. 10 per year. here's what it would cost me to to pump 2,030.40 extra liters for our annual excursion:

first year 345,168 @ 170/l
second year: 365,472 @180/l
third year: 385,776 @ 190/l etc etc
fourth: 406,080
fifth: 426,384
sixth: 446,688
seventh: 466,992
eighth: 487,296
ninth: 507,600.
so by nine years i've pumped a total of: 3,837,456.
driving every DAY, to and from galle on the E01. for 9 years.
so, like VVTi said, just enjoy the drive (if that's possible without getting a haemorrhoid every time the econo meter drops) and forget about the figures man. life is too short anyways.
Edited by Komisiripala
  • Like 6