• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hi everybody. I opened a new thread because there where no threads on MG Metro...

I recently found a MG Metro in Dambulla. It was in good nick. The body was super. And the interior is OK( steering needs to be replaced along with the AC(not sure what is broken) ) other than that everything is in order. A good detailing on the interior will do... (a polish on the outside will do).. sadly it has a Mini Moke engine replaced. The paint is bright yellow on the body..it has a sunroof as well.. the shocks have been replaced from balloon to gas shocks... and some parts have been replaced mechanically... only thing is the book has a duplicate book..the original was burnt by the wife accidently :/ ... owner says 200,000, but I feel I can get it for even less. What do you guys think? The car is mint..Im in love with it :D ...

Heres a pic(not a good one though)... I wiped the no out beacause the owner might want privacy... oh yeah I forgot. It has a seat set like recaros(not 100% similar)...sorry the pics are in dropbox..pls click on the links to see the 2 pics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1am2cft29qp7q8/20140602_170822.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x9xxurzirdsw6n/20140602_170237.jpg

Edited by fiat fan

Check with RMV about the book. MG Metro books are worth much more than you think so it's quite possible that the guy has sold the book and got a duplicate for himself.

Minis and Metros come with the same engine so if the engine is replaced, its been done with the right engine. Or possibly the original engine has been sold along with the book.

Anyway if the documents are ok, buy it. If u are not buying it, let me know I'll buy it.

I called RMV..they said visit their office on monday.. will deffa let u know If i wont buy it.. the duplicate book is not yet printed.car has to be weighed it seems.owner said he will do it and give me the book itself. We let u know

Check if the RMV has records of it and is registered as an MG and not anything else...Also if the RMV has records of the car you don't need to weigh it.They can issue a duplicate book as long as you have a police 'éntry' copy.

As for the car.Are you buying it for the classic value? cos although it has the MG badge its nothing but some shameless badge engineering from BL in its dying years and is highly unlikely to gain in value in the futeure.You're bettter off wirh a MINI IMO...but whatever floats your boat eh.Go for it!

Edited by MasterDon

There is a little bit of a value for MG/Austin Metros in Sri Lanka because at one point of time, most of the people saw the book to be more valuable than the car itself. As a result many of them were sold for scrap. They are notorious for corrosion and poor interior. Maintaining one is not going to be easy. But I for one, wouldnt mind buying one and keeping it for future value.

Most probably the car is an Austin Metro.. but that's ok cos the only difference is the badge.

Edited by Crosswind

Hi... this is an MG metro. Not the austin. It has the MG badge in front.and the steering is also the sporty MG version... the interior was good in this car. Dint have serious issues. Just dusty... the exterior was also good. No rust. Painted quite recently.. a good cut and polish would do justice...my only concern is the book. Sadly I have to wait till monday.. I love minis but when I saw this I started to like it... not really hoping for higher value in the future. My plan is to restore whats not in order and use it.. hopefully it will be a daily ride... And if some classic car club lets me Ill join them.. then on rallys and stuff people will be able to see this baby.. 1st Metro I ever saw myself

He he well I do have big plans for it.. hope the book is ok..sorry the picture was not uploaded earlier. Ill upload it shortly

Edit -the pics are uploaded

Edited by fiat fan

Those lines on the body dont seem to be right. Metros have very bold and prominent lines. That rear bumper looks like a growth.

Seems you may have to start shopping for body panels in the UK

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

The lines are ok.. You cant see it well in the pictures.. Because the car is bright yellow the lines dont show well.. The rear bumper is a modified part...

Edit - the minus rep was not by me

Edited by fiat fan

I can't open the link so cannot see the pics (my stupid office :angry2: ). I recall seeing a black MG Metro with red decals many years ago. If I'm not mistaken, one was totaled while racing - so please check carefully.

The MG had a higher BHP than the Austins. The Turbo was the top model.

I've always had a soft spot for the Metro. Having the A+ Series engine mods could be wide ranging I'm sure.