• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Riding Outstation With A Learners Permit

Grid

Hi, I'm 17 and I ride using my learners permit .. a friend of mine told me that I can't ride far distances using a leaners permit ex- kandy ... I haven't heard about this before and I was thinking if it's true... I ride with an L board..

Not very sure on the subject matter, but I know that if you are driving you need to have a person on front passenger seat with a valid driving license and the vehicle needs to have a cover for the learner.

If memory serves, you anyway need to be accompanied by a 'teacher' regardless you're in the city or not.

Actually that rule applies only on 4 wheelers on a bike it's the other way around.. I cannot ride with a pillion... I have been stopped many times by cops and have not had a problem so far..

Yes, Hoonigan is right. But who would be the willing "teacher" who would take a chance on a motorbike with a 17 year old riding outstations?

That too when he's riding a xr 250 with very bad brakes and worn off rear tyre .. ;)

Yes, Hoonigan is right. But who would be the willing "teacher" who would take a chance on a motorbike with a 17 year old riding outstations?
That too when he's riding a xr 250 with very bad brakes and worn off rear tyre .. ;)

Well then, Rumesh's reply should be rewritten:

who would be the willing "teacher" who would take a chance on a motorbike with a 17 year old idiot riding outstations?

• Like 1

Well then, Rumesh's reply should be rewritten:

who would be the willing "teacher" who would take a chance on a motorbike with a 17 year old idiot riding outstations?

what do you mean idiot? I'm a pretty safe rider you know

Grid, this might be the confidence of youth. But you are more than twice as likely to die as a result of a motor cycle accident compared to if you were in a motor car. So do yourself a favour, get the tyre replaced and the brakes fixed. Even if its not for you do it for the sake of your parents.

Grid, this might be the confidence of youth. But you are more than twice as likely to die as a result of a motor cycle accident compared to if you were in a motor car. So do yourself a favour, get the tyre replaced and the brakes fixed. Even if its not for you do it for the sake of your parents.

I was thinking of getting rid of the bike completely. . Is the demak dtm a good bet? since I'm into supermoto's it's well within my price range and looks pretty good.. I haven't ridden it but im pretty interested In it.. (tired of cramps in my leg trying to kick that bloody overcompressed engine)..

That sounds a bit like a brag! I've been thrown off a bike because of a bald tyre once and trust me, it's not something you want to brag about. Get the thing fixed. If you're so into Supermotos, why sell the XR 250? convert it, Especially since you need new tyres anyway. Go to Maligawattha and strike a deal to trade in your wheels for a pair of 17"s from a CBR and go from there. You can even have double disk brakes up front with a Cibbie wheel.

That sounds a bit like a brag! I've been thrown off a bike because of a bald tyre once and trust me, it's not something you want to brag about. Get the thing fixed. If you're so into Supermotos, why sell the XR 250? convert it, Especially since you need new tyres anyway. Go to Maligawattha and strike a deal to trade in your wheels for a pair of 17"s from a CBR and go from there. You can even have double disk brakes up front with a Cibbie wheel.

ha ha. no it's not a brag.. mine is a really hacked up bike , it's yom is 94 .. I don't see the w orth in buying a new rear tyre as I'm going to buy a new bike anyway.. (I wasn't the one who hacked it)

in this case, an idiot is an inexperienced unlicensed rider planning to ride a bike with no proper brakes or tires on a mountainous road.

Everytime I see or hear of a idiot like this, I love my dad a bit more for forbidding me ride a motorcycle at that age.

I was thinking of getting rid of the bike completely. . Is the demak dtm a good bet? since I'm into supermoto's it's well within my price range and looks pretty good.. I haven't ridden it but im pretty interested In it.. (tired of cramps in my leg trying to kick that bloody overcompressed engine)..

The DTM is a pretty shitty bike if u ask me. I stopped by a showroom and looked at one just for kicks, the plastics and the build quality on that was really bad. And we're talking of a brand new bikes, which hasnt been through years of exposure to the elements. I really think you're better off buying a 10 year of jap bike than a DTM.

The XR 250 isn't that bad to kick start unless there are issues with it.

Also there is the sweet spot to kick over too.

If it's been hacked...better to check the top and see like tappet cleanrance etc are all in order.

Brakes too are pretty simple mechanisms...easy fixes.

You can get a golden boy brand or smiliar branded tyre without breaking the bank. I've used that brand myself on my XR and it has held up well.

Even on very long rides at high speeds and harsh terrain.

IMHO spending a bit of money and sorting your XR is a better bet unless of course it's beyond economical repair.

which doesn't happen to XR's often as they are almost bulletproof bikes.

And yes. if you noticed...i'm heavily biased for the XR range :)

thanks for the feedback on what bike I should get.. what bike would anyone recommend I get for about 2 1/2 lakhs? I preffer motards but a dual sport is fine ...

The XR 250 isn't that bad to kick start unless there are issues with it.

Also there is the sweet spot to kick over too.

If it's been hacked...better to check the top and see like tappet cleanrance etc are all in order.

Brakes too are pretty simple mechanisms...easy fixes.

You can get a golden boy brand or smiliar branded tyre without breaking the bank. I've used that brand myself on my XR and it has held up well.

Even on very long rides at high speeds and harsh terrain.

IMHO spending a bit of money and sorting your XR is a better bet unless of course it's beyond economical repair.

which doesn't happen to XR's often as they are almost bulletproof bikes.

And yes. if you noticed...i'm heavily biased for the XR range :)

you should check out the rust on my bike.. it was kept for about 5 years without use... biggest suprise was when I pulled it out the garage and after about 10 kicks ot fired up... I guess that's what people call japanese reliability ah..

in this case, an idiot is an inexperienced unlicensed rider planning to ride a bike with no proper brakes or tires on a mountainous road.

Everytime I see or hear of a idiot like this, I love my dad a bit more for forbidding me ride a motorcycle at that age.

I wasn't planning to go outsation on the xr..

btw even I wasn't allowed to ride until I was about to become 17

You won't get a lot of bike for that money tbh. The devil you know (your XR) may be better than the angel you don't know (whatever you score for 250k)

Some pictures might help to see if it is indeed as fargone as you say it is.

you should check out the rust on my bike.. it was kept for about 5 years without use... biggest suprise was when I pulled it out the garage and after about 10 kicks ot fired up... I guess that's what people call japanese reliability ah..

Your bike might be in better knick than you think. Most of the rust could be surface rust. Why don't you re condition the bike, take everything off, get the frame sand blasted or chemically treated, then galvanize it, primer it and paint it and it would as good as new!

Your bike might be in better knick than you think. Most of the rust could be surface rust. Why don't you re condition the bike, take everything off, get the frame sand blasted or chemically treated, then galvanize it, primer it and paint it and it would as good as new!

Machang your advice is sound, but you need to take into account the person you're giving it to. He doesn't have the patience to wait a few months to get his proper license, do you think he'll have the patience to put time and effort into reviving a old bike?

:D

It's not a few months... it's may 2015 for my license. .. -_- also the reason I'm not a fan of the xr is because it doesn't have an electric motor... I'm pretty short at 5'8 so it's really difficult for me to keep kicking it..

It's not a few months... it's may 2015 for my license. .. -_- also the reason I'm not a fan of the xr is because it doesn't have an electric motor... I'm pretty short at 5'8 so it's really difficult for me to keep kicking it..

less than a year... hence 'few months'..

You just need to do a soft-kick to get the piston in that sweet spot so that it fires up at a single go.

• Like 1

less than a year... hence 'few months'..

You just need to do a soft-kick to get the piston in that sweet spot so that it fires up at a single go.

1+

and there can be mechanical issues for poor starting

tappet clearances, carb issues, timing issues etc...

As for Rust, as DON says... sometimes it's just surface level

even if it's not..some can be fixed without too much of trouble

But yeah...few pics of affected areas would help