• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fatal Accident On Katunayake Expressway

overTuned

No idea, number plate reads HF-6116.

I agree the accident looks terrible and even with buckles up, one wouldn't survive.

I've seen in many instances, back seat passengers and kids don't wear seat belts. High time to start using this magical device called seat belts for all passengers. No matter how my kids keep on complaining how the belts limit their movements, I always keep three of them tied to the back seat.

• Like 2

At the time of the opening of E01, there was a rule enforcing all the passengers to wear seat belts. Now it is not even heard of.

No one at the entrance gates check whether rear passengers are buckled up.

Always ensurel that you and your loved ones are properly wearing the seat belts, at least when on expressways...

At the time of the opening of E01, there was a rule enforcing all the passengers to wear seat belts. Now it is not even heard of.

No one at the entrance gates check whether rear passengers are buckled up.

Always ensurel that you and your loved ones are properly wearing the seat belts, at least when on expressways...

this shouldn't have done even at the time of opening. Why should someone else bother about lives of yours and your loved ones? it should be your prime responsibility.

• Like 4

I am just wondering if this car was wleded together? Meaniing did somewhere along the way, it was welded togetehr using 'cut pieces'?

quite possible as the number and the series doesn't match much. Usually the cars of this era were ES series rather than EK.

I am just wondering if this car was wleded together? Meaniing did somewhere along the way, it was welded togetehr using 'cut pieces'?

Same feeling comes to my mind looking at those pictures. If not car must've been travelling at least around 120, 140Kmph or even more at the time of impact. Also both lights and front grill are intact. Which means there is no head on collision. Car must have slipped, rolled due to high speed.

After all another valueble life is gone in vain, those parents, brothers and sisters and children will bear this pain for rest of the life time. And finally everything sums upto say that "It aint the ride, but rider"

• Like 1

quite possible as the number and the series doesn't match much. Usually the cars of this era were ES series rather than EK.

Nope. This can be a later imported 99 / 2000 made EK. H and even J series are very common among those.

Nope. This can be a later imported 99 / 2000 made EK. H and even J series are very common among those.

not very common

in this random sample, only 2 out of 15 have H numbers. Not a single one with J plates

http://www.autolanka.com/Buy.asp?FormName=Search&FormAction=search&ad_type_id=&ad_category_id=&search=EK3

Edited by harshansenadhir

Odd...!! remember seeing a car very similar to this near Kalaniya Uni...a sale close by....had those images but don't think hv those now.... rear cross drilled brakes of m not mistaken from the 1st pic on the link...that is assuming that's the rear wheel at all.

IF its is that same car, then yes if you drove that like a lunatic this can happen...

I think some of the distortion on the car is due to emergency services recuing the victims, which might have neccesitated mangled metal to be cut apart.

Particularly in heavy rain or in wet conditions, in new finely laid tarmac, you need to be extra careful in SL. :( My sympathies to the victims.

I think some of the distortion on the car is due to emergency services recuing the victims, which might have neccesitated mangled metal to be cut apart.

Particularly in heavy rain or in wet conditions, in new finely laid tarmac, you need to be extra careful in SL. :( My sympathies to the victims.

not this news article but another one, says the car broke into two and some occupants were thrown away from the car. :( that's why i highlighted the significance of wearing seat belts for rear passengers.

this shouldn't have done even at the time of opening. Why should someone else bother about lives of yours and your loved ones? it should be your prime responsibility.

Well said Harshan. We must have a value for our lives, but none of the others...

not very common

in this random sample, only 2 out of 15 have H numbers. Not a single one with J plates

http://www.autolanka.com/Buy.asp?FormName=Search&FormAction=search&ad_type_id=&ad_category_id=&search=EK3

According to this sample it's not much common. But If you have a look in day to day travelling H plates are not much rare.

But when it comes to J plates, it's rare. I personally using a manual VIRS with J plates and I've seen another 2,3 J plated EKs (But not RSs) on the road.

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents on the story. It happened on peliyagoda-wattala detour that goes over the highway and provides access to it, not the actually highway or on Kandy Colombo main road. I went past the accident location yesterday and there's only some light damage to the fencing on the flyover (which goes over the railway tracks). Not sure what it hit to get torn in half like that. but its probably the detached rear end that hit the fencing.

Also I doubt the car has been tampered with cos the outer side panels on 4 door ek's anyway come in 2 pieces as shown in this link.

http://estore.honda.com/honda/images/parts/catalogs/EA/13S8401/Estore/illustrations1/S843B4920.png

So at the moment of collision the frame failed at its weakest points i.e. the welds. which are the exact same points on the diagram and the crashed car.

It was raining that night so the roads were wet and its pretty easy to get some good speed on any car approaching the accident site from either direction. So the setting was just right for it.

I should again mention this wasn't actually on the highway, just the byroad leading up to it. So nobody's there to enforce seatbelts entering this section.

Saw from the video that the subwoofer which was inside the car's trunk had flown off to a nearby house, tearing the roofing sheets. Judging by the distance it was thrown, it does look like the driver was going pretty fast. If the road was also wet, then this probably can be the end result regardless of the chassis being tampered IMHO.