• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying New Shocks From Which One

What i heard is, that there is no agent anymore for TOKICO, D***** has decommissioned the importing of the same. So giving the shocks at that price is little dodgy.

Well you should always go for the OEM manufacturer. For Honda I hear its Tokico so if I had a Honda I'll go with them. Price is relevant to demand and there is apparently a 20% mark up on the whole sale price so plenty of room to discount.

Well you should always go for the OEM manufacturer. For Honda I hear its Tokico so if I had a Honda I'll go with them. Price is relevant to demand and there is apparently a 20% mark up on the whole sale price so plenty of room to discount.

Thats right, KYB is the best option for Toyota. However, my point was, its quite suspicious that you can give a genuine set of TOKICO for 30k as KYB too must be giving the same discount.

Thats right, KYB is the best option for Toyota. However, my point was, its quite suspicious that you can give a genuine set of TOKICO for 30k as KYB too must be giving the same discount.

KYB has a better reputation in Sri Lanka. I think they can give it at the same price as well, but why dent their profit margin if the demand is there?

I also have heard Tokico is for Honda, but Stafford says it's SHOWA

I smell some marketing fragrance for family business ehh :P

I also have heard Tokico is for Honda, but Stafford says it's SHOWA

I smell some marketing fragrance for family business ehh :P

I think Stafford are the agents for Showa :) They do the same with Motul oil I think. But you will know what it is when you take you old shocks out.

I think Stafford are the agents for Showa :) They do the same with Motul oil I think. But you will know what it is when you take you old shocks out.

Have seen it twice mate, it was SHOWA both of the times. But it's really expensive. You can buy two KYB for the price of one SHOWA.

Have seen it twice mate, it was SHOWA both of the times. But it's really expensive. You can buy two KYB for the price of one SHOWA.

Kushan, KYB is the undisputed leader in Shock Absorbers in the world. I'll always buy them over any other brand :) They are the leader for a reason, and this is from first hand knowledge.

Kushan, KYB is the undisputed leader in Shock Absorbers in the world. I'll always buy them over any other brand :) They are the leader for a reason, and this is from first hand knowledge.

yeah hope so mate, but when it comes to OEM, then SHOWA is the one for Honda. see the images below, these are my old shocks from ES8.

2mzcw9x.jpg

21o7ss6.jpg

1r3ml4.jpg

Well said.

machan you are just marketing the family business :P, anyway I may come to you for KYB, :) I don't think I can afford SHOWA.

I see. In the old EG8s and EK3 they used Tokiko. I guess they must have switched suppliers. But that does not make them any better, but if SHOWA was sold at the same price as KYB and they were OEM for a car, then I will obviously buy SHOWA

I see. In the old EG8s and EK3 they used Tokiko. I guess they must have switched suppliers. But that does not make them any better, but if SHOWA was sold at the same price as KYB and they were OEM for a car, then I will obviously buy SHOWA

Agreed. I have used these shocks for nearly 12 years, and in another vehicle I'm still using the genuine SHOWA shocks and the vehicle is 14 years old.

Dunno how longer lasts the KYB though. But if I can run another 12 years with another genuine SHOWA shocks, I think it's worth the price.

you can run 12-15 years with the same shock.

but i dont think that shock is working as it should be.most

Manufacturers recommend replace shocks 100k mark and KYB recommends in 80k.that of course in a country with fine roads.

fine set of shocks can reduce braking distance by proper articulation.it prevents gittery movemwnts on rough roads and prevent body bounce.

all in all i feel im sri lankan conditions, no shock absorber can survive young enogh for 12 years.

just what i felt

Manufacturers recommend replace shocks 100k mark and KYB recommends in 80k.that of course in a country with fine roads.

fine set of shocks can reduce braking distance by proper articulation.it prevents gittery movemwnts on rough roads and prevent body bounce.

all in all i feel im sri lankan conditions, no shock absorber can survive young enogh for 12 years.

just what i felt

I think the breaking distance is the most important aspect which we tend to overlook though....

http://www.kyb-europe.com/effects-of-shock-absorbers.html

Agreed. I have used these shocks for nearly 12 years, and in another vehicle I'm still using the genuine SHOWA shocks and the vehicle is 14 years old.

Dunno how longer lasts the KYB though. But if I can run another 12 years with another genuine SHOWA shocks, I think it's worth the price.

I replaced the original KYB shocks in my Mirage only last year and that was after 20 years of service. The front shocks had started to leak and the rears were not leaking yet but weak so I replaced all 4. Even though they were leaking the front shocks still worked very well, and the only reason whenI noticed they were leaking was when the car was being serviced.

just what i felt

Yes, the 100K mark seems to be correct. When I was replacing the genuine showa shocks with KYB, it was arround 112K something on the odometer and 13 years passed from the manufactured date.

just what i felt

You are right, but I think it depends a lot on where you live and how the car is used.

The safety factor of having good shocks is very valid. But in Sri Lanka the average speeds we drive at are pretty low, so most of the time we don't see the difference.

Also gas shocks seem to last a bit longer than pure hydraulic

Shocks are also expensive, so I think the best course of action is to inspect them during your routine service, make sure the shock boots are in good condition because this helps the shocks last longer by keeping dust and mud/sand away, and keep your suspension in good condition.

You generally know when you shocks start to go, and often felt stronger in the rear than the front.

• 3 years later...
On 5/30/2014 at 5:48 AM, invisibleuser said:

Hi guys,

I'm planning to replace shocks for my vehicle and I've asked the prices from the t**ss agencies and another shop called namarathne motors in Panchi. Since t**ss are the agents for kyb, they told one front shock around 12000 and other shop priced the same around 9000. Anyone have an experience about this shop? It’s really helpful me to choose the right place.Thanks.

Hi.. i am also facing this critical desicion making... namarathna taas difference is 1000 rs. Since i am buying 4 shocks it worth me a lot. May I know from where you bought you shocksat last? If namarathnaare they okay? ( ඩුප්ලිකේට් ඒවද දන්නෙ නැහැනෙ...)

12 hours ago, wolseley said:

Go for Namaratne .Generally they give 20% for cash.

Since Taa are the agent, they wont give  such discounts as Nama  does. 

But the stuff is same.

Plus, Naamratne has Tockico as well.

• 2 years later...

Bought all  4 shocks for Corolla 141 (2008) from Namaratne. Please find the prices from Taas & Namaratne. Namaratne gave the same unit sold by Taas at a discounted rate. Shocks were KYB Excel-G, made in Japan.

Taas

Front - 19685 per unit

Back - 14580 per unit

Namaratne

Front - 13750 per unit

Back - 10125 per unit