• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Swap - 4Dr5 J44 Jeep

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi Friends,

I need your expert advice related an engine swap of a 4DR5 J44 jeep. Currently it has 4DR51 engine and modified with power steering and AC compressor. What possible engines will it be able to swap with? I mean considering the options it has, what newer engines that can be considered which support in built power steering and AC? Also please give the differences of 4DR55, 4DR6 and 4DR7 engines which I do not know any detail about those. (Did a Google search but couldn't find any). Thanks a lot in advance and highly appreciate your detailed replies.

7 answers to this question

Some details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mitsubishi_Fuso_engines

4DRx
  • 4DR1 2,384 cc, peak power is 75 PS (55 kW) at 3,800 rpm. Introduced in June 1968 for the T90-series Canter.[1]
  • 4DR5/6 2,569 cc, peak power is 80 PS (59 kW) at 3,700 rpm. Bore and stroke is 92 x 100 mm.[2] The 4DR6 is a direct injection version with 100 PS (74 kW).
  • 4DR7 2,835 cc, peak power is 88 PS (65 kW)[3] - according to some, this is a 2.5 L with 70 PS (51 kW)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Motors_engines

• 4DR — Two 2659 cc straight-4 normally aspirated and turbodiesels, 4DR5 and 4DR6, fitted to some Canter light trucks, and also fitted to the company's Jeep which it built under licence from Willys between 1953 and 1998. The naturally aspirated 4DR5 produced from 75 to 80 PS (55 to 59 kW), while the turbocharged and intercooled versions produced a torque of 22.5 kg/m (220.65 Nm) at 2000 RPM and had a compression ratio of 21.5:1, with a maximum power of 100 PS (74 kW) at 3,300 rpm. The direct injected 4DR6 has a lower compression ratio of 17.5 producing a torque of 21.0 kgm (205.94 Nm) at 2000 rpm with a maximum power of 94 PS (69 kW) at 3,500 rpm [1]

http://www.ehow.com/about_5976308_history-mitsubishi-diesel-engines.html

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Thanks sampath. If I swap with a 4dr6, do I have to modify it to fit the power steering and ac or do they come with the engine?

Nishan. This is not as big an issue as you think. All the engines are basically of the same family.

What manufacturers do is they create mounting brackets so mount the other bits like AC compressor, power steering pump etc. Depending on the factory spec of some vehicles, either these will all be attached or only some attached.

So you are not focusing on the real issue. You would certainly be able to find a 4DR6 engine with power steering and AC compressor. But you will still need to modify your power steering system and AC to work with the components attached to the engine.

So you are not focusing on the real issue.

Thanks for the reply but What do you mean by the real issue?

But you will still need to modify your power steering system and AC to work with the components attached to the engine.

Please suggest the engine models that can minimize such modifications? I mean not only to save money and time but to keep the original aspects of the engine. (Even if we do the mods perfectly, still I believe that factory fitted ones will be much better in this case.) :)

Thanks for the reply but What do you mean by the real issue?

Please suggest the engine models that can minimize such modifications? I mean not only to save money and time but to keep the original aspects of the engine. (Even if we do the mods perfectly, still I believe that factory fitted ones will be much better in this case.) :)

Nishan, the real issue is not whether the engine has something or not, but finding an engine that does, because all vehicles were not equiped with the same options. For example AC is not standard for vehicles sold in Europe.

Do a tour of the yards and see what they have. Thats the only way you wil find out.

If you want full factory original stuff, you will have to find a late model Jeep made by Mitsubishi, say in 1998 and take all the bits out of it, like dashboard, bits for the AC, power steering etc and make it fit your older Jeep. Even then some fabrication will be required.

Also remember these vehicles are getting old to a point finding factory original parts are now very difficult....