• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chip In Tire

monty

Question

Hi Guys,

One of the tires in my car has a slight chip of around 1cm in its side wall. The tires have done only 7000KM and are the stock ones that came fitted to the car when I imported it. The chip was not noted in the auction sheet possibly because it looks superficial and doesn't look deep. No cords are showing up either.

If I'm to replace this tire with a new one, should I look for a stock tire that has done close to the same mileage or will fitting a brand new one of the same or a different make have a slight impact since the other 3 tires have already done around 7000KM, thus comparatively worn out.

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Action depends of how deep the crack is and where it is on the tire. If it is not severe you can put the tire on the rear and go on using it but keep an eye on the crack to see if it develops further, or you can change two tires and use the new ones on front for sometime, or why not try to strike a deal with this guy http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/16062-where-i-can-buy-used-japan-tyres/#entry261709 :D ?

• Like 2

If the side wall continues to chip off like this it has to be due to a manufacturing defect. You'd never know how bad the defect is. If it continues to chip off any further than this, better to get it changed ie get two tires changed. You do not have much of a choice here I'm afraid.

If the side wall continues to chip off like this it has to be due to a manufacturing defect. You'd never know how bad the defect is. If it continues to chip off any further than this, better to get it changed ie get two tires changed. You do not have much of a choice here I'm afraid.

Why two tires to be changed?.

That actually looks quite deep in one spot. You can probably still drive in the city (while regularly checking the tyre as Rumesh88 said), but I guess this damage is too severe for excess speeds (especially expressways) IMO.

Why two tires to be changed?.

It is better to change two tires and use them on the front than changing just one of them. It would not look nice when you use one new tire along with three used ones. Also your wheel alignment will be better with two identical tires on either side.

• Like 1

This damage is risky. Highway and fast driving is a big no no. Consider replacing two tyers and put the new ones in the back (best practice, new tyers in back as Under steer is easy to correct than your tail goes for a spin).

The previous good year tyres I have also had this issue on the front left tyre, at first i thought somebody cut it off or the dog had a go at it. Had to change it anyway for the new tyres.