• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Beware!......

dpk

This stuff mainly happen when people hand over or transfer the car to a car salesman to sell it behalf of them...I once had this experience when i was in search for a fb14 sometime ago....I arrived their at night this guy had like 5 other cars at home he was a small home car salesman...car was a super saloon ..I somehow contacted the original owner and asked few stuff like what repairs had been done and stuff,I noticed that one of the fog lights were not working so i just asked for the talk why this one is not working,he said he never had fog lights...turned out to be the sales guy has removed and replaced few items as he wanted,according to the owner car had a good sound system with a sub woofer,reverse cam this sales guy has tried to sell it with maximum profit while keeping those items with him...owner has given permission to sell it at any high amount the sales guy could but to give this certain amount to the owner....owner couldn't remember the odo well obviously the odo has been tampered too...If i hurried and didn't ask what items the car had earlier i could have been easily fooled.odo was around 118600..car had a 100000km major full service sticker on door to prove the tempered mileage but owner had no idea about it he has not done a 100000km major service...never go with the odo reading even the car is late 2000..just check the car condition and background of the owner...and yes google the car with number for previous ads on that car....

this is very common thing...i have cn many advertisements like this...one month ago i sold a car Suzuki Swift 2004 Millage around 134 000km the day after it was advertised with the millage of 70 000km.... :D

One reason is people who are looking for cars the 1st question is whts da millage .... so that is why people reset the odo meter it costs only 1500-2000

A friend of mine reversed the ODO meter of his car before selling it (I was totally against it and I tried to stop him, but he went ahead). After selling the car, he bought a newer used car which was absolutely great. For his first service, he decided to take the car to the agents. The agents informed him that the ODO has been tampered before the car has been sold to him because they had a higher ODO in their records than the car currently has. The funny thing was, this friend reversed 40,000km before selling the car and the new one had also been reversed by exactly 40,000km.

Morale of the story: What goes around, comes around

• Like 5

A friend of mine reversed the ODO meter of his car before selling it (I was totally against it and I tried to stop him, but he went ahead). After selling the car, he bought a newer used car which was absolutely great. For his first service, he decided to take the car to the agents. The agents informed him that the ODO has been tampered before the car has been sold to him because they had a higher ODO in their records than the car currently has. The funny thing was, this friend reversed 40,000km before selling the car and the new one had also been reversed by exactly 40,000km.

That is instant karma.... :speechless-smiley-004:

Excellent!

scary,i think AL should ask for vehicle history from sellers to keep them from falling to the same level of other sites.
There will be lot of practical issues I think. Seller can simply say that they don't have them and it's the truth of most of the cars in Sri Lanka but you can ask for last ECO test report. Yet I don't know how they convince buyer (for a registered vehicle) after changing ODO as it is mentioned in ECO sheet. Is it lack of vigilance or are they printing that one too?

This topic has been beaten to death. Only way out of this problem is, is buyers think beyond the odometer reading. Any modern vehicle has the capability of doing well over 500000km. Ignoring the odo reading and doing a proper aseessment on its mechanical condition is the only way buyer can protect himself.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

When you buy a used car, it is compulsory to check the background of the car. Here is my experience a guy advertised http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=148310 for his car @ nugegoda and price was 1975000 and and ODO was 84000 now same car advertised http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=152615 @ dehiwala but ODO is 46000 and price is 2025000.

And for the record, the new advertiser seems to have fixed new tyres, alloys and a dvd setup with reverse camera. That's fair enough for an additional 50k IMO :)