• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4X4 Recovery Kills Two

Duncan

Hi guys

Not sure if this happened sometime back or recently.

A video is doing the rounds on the net. 4x4 recovering going wrong and killing two spectators. Seems this happened in SL.

Anyone know more about this?

They seem to be doing all the wrong things. Recovering on the tow hitch, pulling at an angle, having an audience so close to a recovery. Don't they have safety rules in these competitions?

Warning!! - graphic scene.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec7_1341527931#dcHQ9xcrR8xJDP3U.01

• Like 1

very careless of the organisers to let so many spectators near a recovery.

don't they know not to recover on a two hitch??

yep this was in negombo from what i remember. strangely on 4WD action aussie had posted on fb today that one of the shows on tv will be showing a towing gone wrong and two people dieing wonder if its the same.

Welcome back Duncan!

Hi bro

Been caught up with "life" the past couple of years. Not been spending enough time in the forum. Meet up with MADZ now and then we I am in Melbourne. AL always is part of the conversation.

Must make an effort to spend time in the forum.

Take care macho.

I think this happened more than a year ago. As I remember two people died but the article i found says one died :

http://sports.dailymirror.lk/2012/07/01/racing-fan-killed-in-4-x-4-challenge-kochchikade/

from the newspaper article it seems the organizers were quick to place the blame on the victims.

Having said that, this kind of grand stupidity is not uncommon even among the so called 'veterans' sometimes. If I remember correct, Clarkson, May and Hammond winched one of their 4WDs up a steep slope while standing right in the firing line, when they did that Top Gear episode in South America. Lucky the tow points and shackles held.

from the newspaper article it seems the organizers were quick to place the blame on the victims.

Having said that, this kind of grand stupidity is not uncommon even among the so called 'veterans' sometimes. If I remember correct, Clarkson, May and Hammond winched one of their 4WDs up a steep slope while standing right in the firing line, when they did that Top Gear episode in South America. Lucky the tow points and shackles held.

In a Christmas special (in africa I think) May was standing next to a rope/strap which when puled smacked him right in the face and had him pinned between the strap n ground.

Top Gear is done purely for TV ratings and entertainment. They did a trip through Botswana in three cars (where even 4x4s are restricted). They drove through a prehistoric salt pan, tearing up the landscape. I blame the authorities for allowing this sort of behaviour.

This lankan video did the rounds here in Aus the last few days. Mainly to illustrate to people the importance of safe recoveries. Some leading magazines did not attach the video in respect to the deceased.

Hopefully the motor sports governing body in SL has improved safety since this incident.

Out of curiosity, are clubs in SL compelled to carry public liability insurance during events?

Top Gear is done purely for TV ratings and entertainment. They did a trip through Botswana in three cars (where even 4x4s are restricted). They drove through a prehistoric salt pan, tearing up the landscape. I blame the authorities for allowing this sort of behaviour.

Yeah, remember that - and half way thorough when their cars started digging in, they tore off doors. seats, windshields and what not from the cars to reduce weight and left all the junk behind. It did not appear anyone was cleaning up after them. It was an insult to avid explorers and adventurers who do not even leave as much as a banana peel behind in natural environment.

Yeah, remember that - and half way thorough when their cars started digging in, they tore off doors. seats, windshields and what not from the cars to reduce weight and left all the junk behind. It did not appear anyone was cleaning up after them. It was an insult to avid explorers and adventurers who do not even leave as much as a banana peel behind in natural environment.

We in the 4x4 community and other environmental groups were up in arms, because eventually the entire responsible 4x4 community will get blamed for being a bunch of gun-ho types. But sadly the BBC had so much clout, the authorities turned a blind eye.

During the Top Gear visit, we tried to get Clarkson to make an appearance at one of our local 4x4 fund raising events. Thought, being in the country, he might be happy to help the local community out. Clarkson's management wanted GBP25,000 for a 15 minute appearance.

We in the 4x4 community and other environmental groups were up in arms, because eventually the entire responsible 4x4 community will get blamed for being a bunch of gun-ho types. But sadly the BBC had so much clout, the authorities turned a blind eye.

During the Top Gear visit, we tried to get Clarkson to make an appearance at one of our local 4x4 fund raising events. Thought, being in the country, he might be happy to help the local community out. Clarkson's management wanted GBP25,000 for a 15 minute appearance.

Explains why the more recent seasons have lost the charm of the show. It's too obviously scripted and some of the segments are boring to say the least and don't even feature as many cool cars as they used to. And what's with the 7 episode season???

BBC is cashing it in. Makes sense but still it's kind of sad.

Hopefully the motor sports governing body in SL has improved safety since this incident.

Out of curiosity, are clubs in SL compelled to carry public liability insurance during events?

Hi Duncan Hope all is well .

This was an unfortunate incident where proper rescue equipment was on stand by (JCB) to recover with hydraulic arm, but a few impatient competitors who were waiting to run took matters into their own hands as they did not want to wait till machine to weave through the crowd.

There is no point blaming anyone, but surely it was an eye opener for those who organize these type of 4x4 events. It went to show that how things could go wrong within seconds and the consequences of the same.

In Sri Lanka, the motor sports governing body (SLAS) permit need to be applied to have an event where it is open to the public, and with this document you have to apply for police permission, and with this approval you can get public liability insurance. The Governing body has regulations for the meet, so Insurance, Ambulance, Fire Fighting Squad, are mandatory. Further a representative is sent to ensure the conditions are safe especially to ensure the spectator area and track area is clearly demarcated. This system is in place for registered clubs only, and will be penalized or banned if this procedure is not followed. Only 2 such 4x4 clubs are registered in Sri Lanka.

Sadly, the rest by pass the system and continue to organize such unsafe meets through political influence, and often get away with it.

• Like 1

Hi Duncan Hope all is well .

This was an unfortunate incident where proper rescue equipment was on stand by (JCB) to recover with hydraulic arm, but a few impatient competitors who were waiting to run took matters into their own hands as they did not want to wait till machine to weave through the crowd.

There is no point blaming anyone, but surely it was an eye opener for those who organize these type of 4x4 events. It went to show that how things could go wrong within seconds and the consequences of the same.

In Sri Lanka, the motor sports governing body (SLAS) permit need to be applied to have an event where it is open to the public, and with this document you have to apply for police permission, and with this approval you can get public liability insurance. The Governing body has regulations for the meet, so Insurance, Ambulance, Fire Fighting Squad, are mandatory. Further a representative is sent to ensure the conditions are safe especially to ensure the spectator area and track area is clearly demarcated. This system is in place for registered clubs only, and will be penalized or banned if this procedure is not followed. Only 2 such 4x4 clubs are registered in Sri Lanka.

Sadly, the rest by pass the system and continue to organize such unsafe meets through political influence, and often get away with it.

That is sad. these idiots paint a bad impression of the entire motor sports community.

Been away from the forum for too long. Got caught up with "life" :) Must try to be more regular here. I quite miss the place.

Explains why the more recent seasons have lost the charm of the show. It's too obviously scripted and some of the segments are boring to say the least and don't even feature as many cool cars as they used to. And what's with the 7 episode season???

BBC is cashing it in. Makes sense but still it's kind of sad.

+1

yeah most of those "mishaps" are way too cliche to be true, and certainly leaves a bad taste in your mouth on the cheapness.

• Like 1

Three guys from panadura area had set out to watch the races that morning. Only one of them came back. He had survived because he left his two friends & went to take photographs. some of you guys must have seen a page called autoyouth on FB the guy who does that is the third guy who went & survived that day. the other two died on the spot.

I attended both the funerals it was a very sad scene since they were both huge motorsport fans. I hope nothing like that ever happens to anyone.

the awesome month of the year "JULY" is gonna start with different kinda experiences since the morning. Malaka u have us a huge gift early in the morning, IResh , Oshan and me hoping to continue it through out the day

That was one of the boys that passed away. he had updated his Fb status before he left to watch the event in the morning.

Edited by Chooti Putha

I agree with you'll regarding Top Gear.Some times the "jokes" are cringe worthy now.I blame the new found popularity for it.They've had to dumb the show down to appeal to the masses...

And also Clarkson especiially has been uttering mildly racist stuff lately under the guise of it just being crude british humour...