• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Na**ka Wheel Alignment

dilan_randika

Question

12 answers to this question

Simple answer is NO.

The best method to test shocks,you remove the shock and press it manually.

See if it comes out smoothly.

If its not,its time to replace shocks.

Have once got a perfect result for almost gone rear shocks of my car 2 years back from same computer test. .

I'm not sure why cha5 feels a shock test will not show if the shock absorbers are in decent nick.

The so called manual method is effective as well, but the test has to be executed by a person who is familiar with the vehicle, as a lot depends on how the results are interpreted. Most shocks are in grey areas and failure is not black and white. For example my cars front shocks were leaking fluid but to anybody riding the car and doing the supposed manual test they felt normal.

I'll tell you a few black and white scenarios.

1. When you press the front or back of the car down a few times in each corner, if the car comes up nearly instantly after about 3 quick pushes then its likely your shocks are not damping as much as they used to

2. If you inspect the shocks and can see fluid leakage then its definitely time to replace. Unfortunately this test does not always help vehicles wish gas shock absorbers as while they have some lubricating fluid, its not always clear if its leaked or not.

3. If the rear of the car is bouncy particularly after falling into a pot hall to a point you can feel it from the driving seat then the rear shocks need investigation. Unfortunately its not as obvious in the front due to the weight of the engine.

I say for 1000 get the shock test done, but then share the information with a skilled mechanic to interpret the results and inspect manually before making any changes. I've often found peoples opinions on the matter not to be conclusive until you had physical evidence like fluid leakage.

Hi,

Any of you have been there & taken a Suspension Quality Test report?

Guess it costs 1K & Does it really show the existing quality & issues in Suspension System & Shock Absorbers, Struts?

Hi Dilan,

If i'm not mistaken i paid around same amount (Rs1000 - 2000) and they did Wheel alignment + shock-absorber test + break test. Sorry it was sometime back so cant remember the exact amount. But i was really happy with their service. They will provide the report for all these 3 type of test which we can compare the green values vs the values in your car.

They also do headlight focus & alignment which is good too. It was around Rs500 or 1000 or something. They did a great job where i converted the regular headlights to HIDs in one of my Viva's (KL-0259 - not sure who is the current owner) and the light was all over the place. They nicely aligned it to most of the light to be focus on the road rather than on coming traffic.. :)

Bottom line i'm very happy with their service. (I went to the Union place shop)

KMeeg.

Hi,

Any of you have been there & taken a Suspension Quality Test report?

Guess it costs 1K & Does it really show the existing quality & issues in Suspension System & Shock Absorbers, Struts?

Got it done once. According to them, the shock absorber is good if some value on the results sheet is above 0.3. Well for me, both rear ones came below 0.3 and I can say that was more or less correct. Make sure you check whether their printer is working :) cause I had to write down the values manually that time.

But i was really happy with their service.

Me too. Their wheel balancing and alignment was very satisfactory.

Visited this place again for wheel alignment last week. Although the workmanship was pretty good, their management seems to be pretty much neglecting the business now.

The phones lines were out. I had to drive there to find out their mechaic who does the alignment was on leave that day. Imagine depending solely on one baas for their core business?

Came next day again with my fingers crossed and luckily he had showed up. Some of the workers I used to know have left the place.

The printer at the shock testing machine still doesn't work. They don't accept credit cards now - no phone lines remember. Gave me a scribbled receipt off a receipt book which was not even meant for customers.

Sigh.

Hey guys,

Anybody visited this place recently? Please share your view if it is still worth a visit to the place or I better find another place to get a suspension test done. Their phone lines are still out :sad-smiley-050:.

Thanks

Visited this place 5 months back. They had nearly bankrupted at that time too. Do not know the present status.

Onetime a briliiant service estabilishment now at low caliber, since the owner's negligence.

If employees try to position hydralic jacks to non jacking positions for a particular vehicle it is not an alignment center. Alignment eater!!

I saw a nal*ka's employee trying to do a crash center job misleasing an owner and the same person tried to place a hydrolic jack at vulnerable point of lower arm's front fixing point of my car to hoist the vehicle , prevented forcibly with arguments.

Do not recommend this place !

Any car place is only good as their people doing the work and their equipment,..!

1.The employees at this place have no idea on how to use the equipment. - I refer to both alignment and engine tuning.at their HQ and now closed branch at Highlevel Rd Nugegoda.

2. Any employee gaining sufficient skills to do anything even remotely correct leaves for a job overseas paying much more.

so, this place is left with a bunch of monkeys who can't adjust the wheel alignment on a bicycle :-)

.As for the Suspension, it's better to dismantle and inspect / replace all old/worn parts as the SL climate+Roads takes their toll on anything with wheels.

Thanks guys. Any other place you can recommend for a suspension test?

To be honest, this does not require electronic testing. A mechanic with reasonable experience will be able to tell you if your shocks are weak.

As for other components, it requires physical examination, but your wheels being out of alignment is a dead give away of suspension component issues.