• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are Air Coolers Any Good ?

Dinukap4

Planing on buying a Air cooler, are they any good ?

This is the cooler I'm planing on buying I know its bad for electronics due to high humidity so other than my laptop and a mobile Phone there are no other electronics in the room I can just keep them in the next room and the room is not closed the door is open and the Windows as well.

Edited by Dinukap4

Have one at home... Its not completely useless, if you're directly in the air flow it's certainly quite a bit cooler than a standard fan (And if you go to the bother of loading ice, significantly cooler for the short period the ice lasts!) . If you're expecting it to work like an airconditioner or anywhere close to it you'll be disappointed.

Think of it as a slightly more efficient standing fan.

Totally agree with Supra_Natural

Fixing an exhaust fan might also be a good option (if it is practical for the place) if you are trying to lower the room temperature during the night time. I have fixed one to my bed room (DIY)(since I can’t afford a AC :) ) and can feel a definite temperature drop when I enter the room after about 9.00-9.30 p.m. Cons - During day time I do not notice any difference, tend to become unbearably cold in early mornings during cold days

• Like 1

Totally agree with Supra_Natural

Fixing an exhaust fan might also be a good option (if it is practical for the place) if you are trying to lower the room temperature during the night time. I have fixed one to my bed room (DIY)(since I can’t afford a AC :) ) and can feel a definite temperature drop when I enter the room after about 9.00-9.30 p.m. Cons - During day time I do not notice any difference, tend to become unbearably cold in early mornings during cold days

Thanks for the Idea mate I will give that some thought :)

Have one at home... Its not completely useless, if you're directly in the air flow it's certainly quite a bit cooler than a standard fan (And if you go to the bother of loading ice, significantly cooler for the short period the ice lasts!) . If you're expecting it to work like an airconditioner or anywhere close to it you'll be disappointed.

I was expecting cooling close to a Air con that is what the Singer people advertise, its no use because there are 2 separate beds in the room and having it turned facing me and cooling only me will cause issues.

Edited by Dinukap4

Main reason why one feels "comfortable" in an air conditioned environment is because the a/c reduces humidity.

A water/ice air cooler, while they may reduce the air temperature a bit, considerably increases the humidity and if you're already in a humid environment, is likely to make matters worse.

Main reason why one feels "comfortable" in an air conditioned environment is because the a/c reduces humidity.

A water/ice air cooler, while they may reduce the air temperature a bit, considerably increases the humidity and if you're already in a humid environment, is likely to make matters worse.

Yeah that's the main concern with the air cooler, its like 90> Humidity here in Colombo

Edited by Dinukap4

Got to agree with you, my cousin has one. its only useful if you are sleeping right in front of it

Planing on buying a Air cooler, are they any good ?
This is the cooler I'm planing on buying I know its bad for electronics due to high humidity so other than my laptop and a mobile Phone there are no other electronics in the room I can just keep them in the next room and the room is not closed the door is open and the Windows as well.

Got to agree with you, my cousin has one. its only useful if you are sleeping right in front of it

Bought one recently from Singer (Symphony - 32 litre) and as Supra said Magnum said it much better than the fans, you can fill up cold water or ice cubes then you can get mych cooler air. Anyway it's not like A/Cs and you need to be in the air way to feel cool. Humidity problem didn't cause me any trouble. I have a lap and several electronics at my room, but you need to make sure the windows and the door is open when air cooler is on. You can start it like a normal fan or with the air cooler mode. Wanted to try this first before go for a high expense like A/Cs, and my decision was right at that time. This consumes 170Watts and that means much more saving that comparing with >2000 watt AC.

Guys the most effective ways of keeping your house cool during the day are

1. Grow some trees around, particularly around the windows which provide shade

2. If at all possible switch to roof tiles vs asbestos sheets. Apart from the obvious health benefits they are cooler

3. Install thermo reflective film over your ceiling

4. Don't block the louvres on top of your windows (cover them with fine nets if they let in mosquitoes) so that warm air moves out of the room and drags cold air in....

2. If at all possible switch to roof tiles vs asbestos sheets. Apart from the obvious health benefits they are cooler

4. Don't block the louvres on top of your windows (cover them with fine nets if they let in mosquitoes) so that warm air moves out of the room and drags cold air in....

5. Have a pond inside your house

5. Have a pond inside your house

As a guy in the construction field I whole heartedly agree with the above points...Also I say that cement plastering is way over-rated,and the exposed bare gadol brick provides extra cooling...

I have actually put these methods in to practice...checkout the links to my 2 albums.Both are my houses and both stay really cool even during the height of summer without AC or fans...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1120644626655.2018847.1543230364&type=1&l=3d575e4416

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1831478797065.2104049.1543230364&type=1&l=b37d84e959

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

I concur about his place in Kiribatjgoda. The brick trick actually works.also remember that win/air moves more or less in a straight line and if you keep windows/doors open in such a way that air has a clear path, it really helps in cooling. The tunnelling effect.

I am thinking of putting those industrial ventilators on the roof. A no power solution.

industrial-ventilators-250x250.jpg

Being using the same thing, which dinukap4 has pointed, for more than one year. mainly at Mahiyanganaya which is quite a dry area. Though not like a AC machine, It does a reasonable job. I am Quite happy with the purchase.

Edited by nadisha