• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Car Stops Suddenly, Need A Help - Mitsubishi C62A (Asp Model)

Iroshw

Question

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is an electrical issue or mechanical issue. I have a Mitsubishi C62A 1991 car (ASP Model). It has 4G15 powerful 1500cc Petrol Engine. There is a small water leak in the radiator and sometimes the heat goes up (not full but little more than the normal temp). I tried to close the leak but the guy who did make it worse. Now one water line is not working and not sure whether the others working fine too.

From a couple of days there is a huge problem. Car stops without indicating anything. But I feel few misses before it stops. I thought the carb was blocked and cleaned. But still the problem is there. Then another garage guy said the problem is with my plug wires (from the distributor to the plugs). Then I replaced them as well (plugs are not new but working). Nothing helped. There is no petrol block, no carb block. Another said my Gascut should have gone due to the heat. When the heat goes up the Radiator fan starts. True that the radiator core is bad now.

Another thing, After 30 minutes the car starts again. But sometimes not, then need to push to start the car. My battery also good.

Guys, please help me to identify this issue. I showed the car to electrical and mechanical guys. They asked me to do this and that and I did all but the problem is still there.

Irosh

21 answers to this question

Friend,

As vvti said you must fix your cooling problem first. It's the first priority. And then check the gasket. If you flush the radiator, be ready for the worst. A good radiator guy should be able to seal the leak but make sure that it functions as supposed to. Worst thing could be to replace the radiator. Search here in the forum about radiator and flushing where you will find a lot of information.

If you use normal water then there's a higher possibility that the radiator is having corrosion. Hope that you will update the thread with what you have done so far . thanks.

Thanks guys for the info. Just noticed another thing. After stopping the car I checked whether the power is coming into the engine or not. There is no power when trying to start the car. Means there is no power to the plug from the distributor. But my battery is good also the starter motor. One guy said the problem with the distributor coil. I'm scared to do anything since I have replaced a lot of parts as of now and spent some money too.

Help....

Thanks guys for the info. Just noticed another thing. After stopping the car I checked whether the power is coming into the engine or not. There is no power when trying to start the car. Means there is no power to the plug from the distributor. But my battery is good also the starter motor. One guy said the problem with the distributor coil. I'm scared to do anything since I have replaced a lot of parts as of now and spent some money too.

Help....

Connect a spare but good plug to one of the plug wires and observe the spark while keeping the plug body in contact with the car chassis. You can do it once when the engine is cold and then when the car stops. If the spark is weaker or absent when the car is hot then the problem is most likely in the ignition coil which is built into the distributor. I hope this is what you meant by your comment above. If that is the case then you don't have much options left except to replace it. Power to the distributor must have been already checked I guess.

How many mechanics have you taken the car to? Sounds like a lot of cooks have spoiled the soup. Find a good mechanic first and diagnose the ACTUAL problem. Seems like no one is getting to the root cause.

Totally agree machan. I went to three guys. Since the car stopped near Maligawatte junction on last Friday. It was very hard to find a Mechanic at that time. I went to Panchikawatte and found a guy. He did clean all plugs and then replaced plug wire set too. The car started with a hard push but could run only few KMs. As per him there is an electrical issue. I had to keep the car at Panchikawatte (Ambesekararama Road). Then on Saturday could start the car with another push but stopped at Darly Road. Another guy checked the petrol pipes carb but couldn't find any issues there. He asked me to replace the Distributor coil. He asked to stop the car when I feel the first miss. I could drive the car to Moratuwa (had to stop three times)... Yesterday the car started in the morning but could run only a few KMs. The starter motor is running but there is no power to the engine through plugs.

Connect a spare but good plug to one of the plug wires and observe the spark while keeping the plug body in contact with the car chassis. You can do it once when the engine is cold and then when the car stops. If the spark is weaker or absent when the car is hot then the problem is most likely in the ignition coil which is built into the distributor. I hope this is what you meant by your comment above. If that is the case then you don't have much options left except to replace it. Power to the distributor must have been already checked I guess.

I did this but couldn't see any sparks from the plug to the chassis. As you said the ignition coil has gone. But how come the car starts after cooling?

Machan any idea about the prices of Ignition coil? Is it possible to repair in case?

I did this but couldn't see any sparks from the plug to the chassis. As you said the ignition coil has gone. But how come the car starts after cooling?

Machan any idea about the prices of Ignition coil? Is it possible to repair in case?

This is common in ignition coils. I can remember when Morris minor gave us ignition coil trouble driver used to keep a wet cloth on top of the coil to cool it down. we used to call it "Una bassanawa".

If it an insulation failure in the ignition coil, then it can happen when it is hot. As peugeot407 has pointed out above those ignition coils had coils immersed in transformer oil but in your case the coil is sealed with a solid resin type insulator. Both these types are known to fail at high temperatures but operate normally when cold. I do not know a method to repair them except to replace in whole but I cannot advise you on the price i'm afraid. Used ones may be available but you have to take your chances with them.

Update: Didn't start the car for more than 24hrs and tried yesterday in the evening. There were no power through plugs, couldn't start the car. The battery was ok and the starter motor worked too.

Still the ignition coil issue? As most of you all said, can be started when the engine is cold. But didn't work. Any idea?

Get some assistant from a good electrician or mechanic who knows what he doing and what he needs to do. Starting problem might be due to ignition coil.cant u find a similar one from a known shop just to confrim this before you replace as u have already replaced few parts?

How to identify the ignition coil? This is 4G15 Mitsubishi Lancer engine.

If your ignition coil is built into the distributor as Rumesh88 said, then you have to remove the distributor cover to locate the coil. The distributor is where all your high tension leads (plug wires) are attached to.

If the coil is in the distributor, you will find only 4 high tension leads connected to the distributor whereas if the coil is external, there will be five high tension leads (4 for the plugs, the other goes to the coil). Follow the fifth lead and you'll end up finding coil.

If your ignition coil is built into the distributor as Rumesh88 said, then you have to remove the distributor cover to locate the coil. The distributor is where all your high tension leads (plug wires) are attached to.

If the coil is in the distributor, you will find only 4 high tension leads connected to the distributor whereas if the coil is external, there will be five high tension leads (4 for the plugs, the other goes to the coil). Follow the fifth lead and you'll end up finding coil.

There are only 4 high tension leads. I have removed the distributor cap but can't see any coils inside. There is another wheel inside of the distributor which can't remove. Hope the Ignition coil is inside of the distributor. There is no way to remove the wheel, no nails.

I don't think taking apart a distributr is a task for the light hearted. You couple unintentionally mess up the ignition timing, cause damage to interanl components etc. Please enlist the help of somebody who is familiar with this type of work/ follow a detailed technical manual or enlist the help of a skilled technician

In this case it could be the coil or distributor that has failed though with your overheating issues its likely to be the coil.

The easiest fix is to buy a used unit and replace. You might need to remove the old unit as a sample.

There are only 4 high tension leads. I have removed the distributor cap but can't see any coils inside. There is another wheel inside of the distributor which can't remove. Hope the Ignition coil is inside of the distributor. There is no way to remove the wheel, no nails.

If you are looking for something that looks like a coil, then no, you won't find one because the coil is insulated and since yours has the coil in the distributor, its the black surface you see inside the distributor.

I agree with The Don here and think you should get a mechanic to remove the ignition coil to avoid messing things up.

Guys, I have removed the Ignition Module then found the coil inside. Already removed the coil and seems it has burnt. :)

Will try to replace this with a used one and check.

Hey Iroshw its probably sound like the ignition coil..You could find a reconditioned one usually we call it "Bothal Coil" which is good or you can replace it with an electronic one..But using the latter is recommended. Also I guess your distributor has "Contact Point" (Usually found inside the distibutor). See if the "Capacitor" is good. Otherwise even you change the coil thisg would come up soon after.. let us know the progress.. Cheers Bro... :)