• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reupholstering Interior Panels

Davy

Guys, anybody know what kind of glue can be used to glue the waterproof film inside the door panel to the door? I read in one site to use blue-tac but isn't that expensive? What can I buy locally? Ideally it should be re-sealable.

You can use the substance called no leak which is roughly like the the material used. The problem is you need a glue that is not moisture retaining or reacts with the paintwork.

Personally I'd use spray on contact adhesive (which is not resealable) or blue tac which is not strong but resealable. No leak and the existing bonding agent are both very messy to work with and goes all over the place. Thats why its sometimes easier to cut the waterproof film when you need access, and use tape to tape it back.

You can use the substance called no leak which is roughly like the the material used. The problem is you need a glue that is not moisture retaining or reacts with the paintwork.

Personally I'd use spray on contact adhesive (which is not resealable) or blue tac which is not strong but resealable. No leak and the existing bonding agent are both very messy to work with and goes all over the place. Thats why its sometimes easier to cut the waterproof film when you need access, and use tape to tape it back.

Thanks The Don

Blu Tac would be my recommendation. I don't think you'll have the problem of the seal falling off because it will be firmly sandwiched between the body and the upholstery.

Noleak tends to harden and impossible to remove unless something like kerosene is used. So the plastic will probably tear the next time you need to remove it.

If you want the real thing, it's called "Butyl Tape". Not sure if it can be sourced locally though.

Edited by Davy

Blu Tac would be my recommendation. I don't think you'll have the problem of the seal falling off because it will be firmly sandwiched between the body and the upholstery.

Noleak tends to harden and impossible to remove unless something like kerosene is used. So the plastic will probably tear the next time you need to remove it.

If you want the real thing, it's called "Butyl Tape". Not sure if it can be sourced locally though.

To be honest Davy, I've never head to remove this stuff. I run a slightly sharp flat object around to separate the plastic film from the body to gain access and simply pad it back into place afterwords. I've done it about 6 times in one car and it still works. The only time I think there can be a problem is if the film is removed and somebody paints over the stuff.

To be honest Davy, I've never head to remove this stuff. I run a slightly sharp flat object around to separate the plastic film from the body to gain access and simply pad it back into place afterwords. I've done it about 6 times in one car and it still works. The only time I think there can be a problem is if the film is removed and somebody paints over the stuff.

You're right The Don. I've taken off the upholstery of my CS3 a couple of times to access the central locking actuators and to lubricate the power shutter mechanisms etc. and always ended up putting back the plastic cover as it was. If you're careful when removing, the butyl paste will still be re-usable.

However, the story was a bit different in my 30 year old Lancer A72. Maybe the paste was too old, it was hardened because it just didn't stick in some spots. This is when I tried to find out if I can get this stuff locally. After being unsuccessful, I used dots of black Silicone glue on places that didn't stick.

Edited by Davy

Thanks for the input guys. I think I did the same thing with my previous car with "Butyl Tape" as Davy suggested (was not sure whether that was the correct way to go at it :) that's why I posted here )

Anyway, bought it from an auto paint shop in Kandy. Came in a pizza box shaped package, black tube kinda thing rolled like a mosquito coil. Cost me around 1000 rs as I remember. Can cut small chunks and stretch it to fix the sheet.

Good to know that we can source Butyl tape locally. It'll definitely be of use for restoration projects. Most older cars never came with the waterproofing sheets behind the upholstery.

• 6 months later...

Hi Davy, and fellas

Would anyone be kind enough to advice me with a location/ enterprise where I could get a similar leather / rexin wrap with seam done on the center console armrest as pictured below. Many of the main stream joints refuse to undertake a small job as this and I am perfectly satisfied with my oem leather interior (they wanna redo the seats etc). Just that I tend to use this bit a lot and would like to have refinished.

IMG_0968_zps5779b348.jpg

Hey tiv, have you tried Deans on Havelock road? I remember Komi getting the exact kinda thing done for his Integra from them. You should be able to find contact details on the forum.

Hey tiv, have you tried Deans on Havelock road? I remember Komi getting the exact kinda thing done for his Integra from them. You should be able to find contact details on the forum.

Thanks for the reply davy, I've got a feeling they'll reject it as well cos its a small job, anyways I ll check and get back to you.

Thanks for the reply davy, I've got a feeling they'll reject it as well cos its a small job, anyways I ll check and get back to you.

They do small jobs like steering wheel wraps as well. So there's a good chance that they will accept yours. Worth a try anyway. Prices are a bit on the high side I'm told, but they're work is supposed to be top notch.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
They do small jobs like steering wheel wraps as well. So there's a good chance that they will accept yours. Worth a try anyway. Prices are a bit on the high side I'm told, but they're work is supposed to be top notch.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Reporting back, finally found the time,

I was referred to this place by the name of L*l Cushion Works by a friend, got the wrap done with padding and custom seam. I'd rate it 9/10, Quite satisfied

3539nwk.jpg

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

haha that looks nice man just like how you wanted, how much did it cost you?

PMed as admins would consider it an advert otherwise

edit: dude your pm aint working

Edited by tiv

Reporting back, finally found the time,

I was referred to this place by the name of L*l Cushion Works by a friend, got the wrap done with padding and custom seam. I'd rate it 9/10, Quite satisfied

That actually looks quite good!

That actually looks quite good!

Had to stay there and nag for each and every step, but they did it well, took 3 hours of my life, mind you

If you live close to Nawala, then probably it worth checking N@wala cushion works.. I have seen some of their work and its really impressive.

Gotta say their work is bit expensive :sad-smiley-067: but worth checking :) it's located on the opposite side of where elcardo was before( just in case you need a land mark)

Continuing this thread 'cause this is somewhat related.

This was an experiment I did a while back on my car's door pulls because they were all burnt up and looking filthy. The handles were this way from the day I bought the car and I was meaning to restore them or get a new set of handles altogether, but I thought of trying out the restoration first. Why I called this an experiment is because I wanted to wait a while and see if this really worked. It's been a few months now and it seemed to be holding up well.

This is what I started with:

0Before_zpsfe1016dc.jpg

The original colour of the door handle is gray (there's a little patch still left in the above photo as you can see). The area intact seems to have been in the shade and survived being sun burnt.

Anyway, this is what I needed:

1. Sharp blade

2. 800 grit and 1200 grit water sandpaper

3. Plastic primer spray can

4. Paint to match the door handle (spray can)

Note: Plastidip would have been the ideal choice, I couldn't find plastidip spray cans (matching the colour), so I had to opt for this.

I took both door handles off the car and gave them a good scrub using a sharp blade. It's important to highlight that the plastic does not have a texture, it's just smooth plastic - otherwise I would have lost the texture while doing this. The surface was so brittle that what's scraped away was like a fine dust. After cleaning them, they looked like this (the gray underneath has surfaced):

4SurfacePrepped_zpsddb9fd0f.jpg

Here's the primer and paint:

1Cans_zps248c7b2d.jpg

Took one door handle with me to match the colour and I found a colour that matches the plastic colour very closely.

3ColourMatch_zps3a3ca5db.jpg

Washed the part well to get rid of dust and grime. Then applied two coats of plastic primer. After the primer has dried up fully (I left it for a day), I sanded it well using the 800 grit paper and then moving onto the 1200 grit paper. Since I found some fine scratches here and there, I applied two coats of primer again and repeated the sanding process.

This is the part after sanding it down totally. Super smooth and no more scratches.

5Primed_zps91d7cba6.jpg

Left it for a couple of days more until the primer fully dried up (not necessary), and then moved on to the colour. Applied two coats of colour carefully, without letting it drip.

8TopCoat_zpsb9fdff2d.jpg

9TopCoat_zps7172060e.jpg

Really satisfied with the end result. No more faded door handles! :)

This can be done on most plastic trims and it's pretty easy.

@Davi - I have the same issue in my lancer. Can you please tell me where can we buy these from SL ? I would like to try out this as well. And is there a brand we should look for and roughly the price?

Cheers

@Davi - I have the same issue in my lancer. Can you please tell me where can we buy these from SL ? I would like to try out this as well. And is there a brand we should look for and roughly the price?

Cheers

Sorry for the delay in responding. I got them from Roxy Paint in Wellawatte right opposite the Roxy cinema. A can cost me close to 500 if I remember correctly.

Good luck and do post photos of the results.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in responding. I got them from Roxy Paint in Wellawatte right opposite the Roxy cinema. A can cost me close to 500 if I remember correctly.

Good luck and do post photos of the results.

Thanks for the info machan.. yes defa will do ASAP.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Do ya"ll use any special dashboard cleaning liquid?

I was using 'Britol car interior liquid spray' all these months from arpico...

Recently I sprayed it on the dashboard and cleaned the dash, and later noticed there are some areas where the spray marks are there even though i brushed hard... :/

What should I do? it is not heavily visible, but if someone looks closer into the dash the marks are visible... any idea how i can get rid of even that slight marks?

and what good spray should I use?

Thanks in advance :)