• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Engine Noise Inrcreased After Injector Pump Cleaning

Hi guys.

The last time I came here was when I had the instrument cluster issue with my Bluebird SU14. That issue however, got resolved after I took it to CN Electronics in Hendala, Wattla as I stated in my previous thread.

Today, I've got another minor issue with my SU14 again. I was planning to sell my SU14, so I thought I'd give it a proper sellable value since it had a some black smoke coming out. Thus, I took it to Kaduwela to service the diesel pump and injectors, which went quite well. However, thats where the issue starts. After the service was done, which took 4hrs and 9000 bucks (replaced diesel filter as well), the engine noise increased. Like as if an increased tappet noise. The more gas you give, the faster the noise sounds. So I took it to a guy who is close to my place (trustworthy fella) and he said that it wasn't a tappet noise, thus, clearing the cost of adjusting/replacing the shims (which I hear is quite expensive for a DOHC engine).

This happened only after the service of the diesel pump. On an additional note, the black smoke wasn't there right after the service but, now it has come back again. The pulling power also has a vague difference (negatively of course). They did some adjustment on the injection system (not sure if im saying it right). If I'm right, they adjusted the advance/retard of the diesel injection.

Now, I hope I have explained sufficiently and if anyone understood the entirety of the issue, could you please be kind enough to let me know how I should resolve this.

Thank You

It may be the sound of diesel being injected through the nozzles that you hear ( a kind of a hissing sound). If that is the case it indicates a job well done rather than a fault. It may also be because some one adjusted the pump incorrectly (advance or retard). An experienced mechanic should be able to sort it out without much fuss.

Edited by CNX

Peugeot407 - I think the timing was right. Not sure though. How do you check that?

CNX - I hardly think it is a hissing sound but I will check it out anyway with another guy again then. Thanks

Could it be, if the amount of diesel pumped into the cylinder is reduced? I'm not sure if that guy did it when he serviced my car's diesel pump, but he said that it should do better in fuel. Confused.

In older Diesels, if you press the accelorator hard, you will always get some black smoke, particularly under load. That is normal. If the pump is retarded the engine would obviously have less power which might have caused you to adjust by pressing hard to accelorator. The SU14 is a heavy car and the engine isn't quite up to the job, so pulling powe is never going to be that great.....

looks like the adjustment (advancement and retarding) of the diesel (injector) pump has gone wrong. Your issue looks like too advancement of the pump. This is what usually causes black smoke and the sound you mention is the sound of diesel igniting slightly before the TDC (as a result of advancing the injection timing). best is the take it back to them and show that it sounds rough and the black smoke.

having said that, advancement of the diesel pump should add little more responsiveness to the engine but it may not be the case if it's too advanced.

Hmm, as harshansenadhir said the technician must have over advanced /wrongly calibrated the injector pump.The injector pump may be advanced by slightly turning when fixing to the engine or by making the adjustment in the advancing cylinder inside the pump.

Before blaming about the advancement make sure that your technician has calibrated the pump correctly using the injector pump test bench.Then make sure that he has not wrongly adjusted timing cylinder or he has fixed it in the wrong direction.

Also check whether your injectors were serviced properly and the injector do open at the pop up pressure.

To re calibrate the injector pump,it has to be removed from the vehicle and fixed to a test bench.Then has to be calibrated with correct data sheet.I thick your car is having an electronic injector pump.So better to take it place where electronic injector pump can be tested.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nipun Tan - Good call on the electronic pump. It is indeed an electronic pump and I'm glad to say that I got it fixed just now.

I took it to CN Electronics (yes, the same place I took it last year to repair my instrument cluster) and this guy is properly equipped and talented. He said that there was a leak inside the pump for which he had to replace a part and charged me 3500/= bucks. Now, the car sounds like a petrol vehicle and pulls as it was supposed to and also has very little black smoke. I should say that I am very pleased with this guy's work and I would recommend it to anybody with issues related to electrical, mechanical and electronic issues (no pun intented).

The place I took it earlier didn't do it right. But, according to my dad, that guy is good for manual/non-electronic diesel pumps, as he as serviced all my dad's old cars to perfection. Anywho, I would suggest CN Electronics (Chaminda) to anybody with relevant issues.

Thanks again guys.

CN Electronics - 0714898606

No.11/5/5 Weliamuna Road Hendala, Wattala, Sri Lanka

If you need introduction, just say owner of a bluebird su14 from wellawatte.

They have a website aswel. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post website links, but here goes:

http://efirepairing.com/

Normally we don't allow but I think we should make an exception in this case since I've been in the same situation as you, and its very difficult to find people who understand auto electronics well. Most guys just go through trial and error without understanding what they are doing.

I'm going to start a good mechanics/ workshops thread where everybody can post their POSITIVE experiences with mechanics/ technicians/ workshops, and others can second that.

Please go and post here too

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/15974-good-mechanics-technicians-workshops/

Edited by The Don

True that! Finding the right guy to do the work is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack and I believe I've found my needle. :D

This guy (Chaminda) is good with his work, but some might consider him a bit big headed (which I personally believe, he isn't). Truth be told, he loves to talk. You spend a day with the guy, you might learn some stuff; be it political or automotive. Only issue I found with him is that you might have to leave the car overnight most of the time (safe so for) since the place is always filled. So call and then take the vehicle to him.

Surething, will post it on that thread as well.