• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Breakdowns On Toyota Aqua

kamal_bandara

I dunno how to make this any clearer: you are NOT going to get better mileage with a hybrid.

Also, does getting yourself into so much debt to buy a new car justify the petrol savings, if any?

You're better off keeping the alto. IMHO

amen or buy a diesel workhorse like CE106, CE110

• Like 2

I dunno how to make this any clearer: you are NOT going to get better mileage with a hybrid.

Also, does getting yourself into so much debt to buy a new car justify the petrol savings, if any?

You're better off keeping the alto. IMHO

I second this. What exactly are your reasons for switching to a new vehicle? If it's fuel savings only you are better off keeping the Alto.

In my case I had lots of other reasons, fuel saving wasnt even the top priority.

If you are indeed buying the Aqua, check the hybrid battery condition. From what I have heard the toyota hybrid system and batteries are generally pretty reliable and durable. But check the hybrid battery condition because this will set you back all your savings in case you need to prematurely replace it.

• Like 1

Watchman sorry about that.. yeah.. i use a Maruthi Alto at the moment for daily commute which will runn round < 2500Km per month. and around 20K petrol . I guess a its good time for a Hybrid now.

2500kms with 20K petrol,,, your car already does 20 per litre ne machan.

Let’s assume your Alto worth 1.7m & Aqua 3.6m. So you gonna have to pocket out another 1.9million cash which according to you are saved in a bank or other financial institution. Considering current interest rates (7.5% PA) you will lose Rs.11,875 monthly interest income just by investing that 1.9 in the Aqua. So you dont have the 1.9million cash as well as its interest income in your assets lit anymore.

Also do you think maintenance of Aqua will be cheaper than of the Alto? I mean you have to put Toyota oil & all that shit that these new car need and how about a little mechanical issue?

Simply, if your main intention is savings and if you are going to achieve it by means of extra gas mileage, whether it is aqua or faqua you are not gonna achieve it.

• Like 8

2500kms with 20K petrol,,, your car already does 20 per litre ne machan.

Let’s assume your Alto worth 1.7m & Aqua 3.6m. So you gonna have to pocket out another 1.9million cash which according to you are saved in a bank or other financial institution. Considering current interest rates (7.5% PA) you will lose Rs.11,875 monthly interest income just by investing that 1.9 in the Aqua. So you dont have the 1.9million cash as well as its interest income in your assets lit anymore.

Also do you think maintenance of Aqua will be cheaper than of the Alto? I mean you have to put Toyota oil & all that shit that these new car need and how about a little mechanical issue?

Simply, if your main intention is savings and if you are going to achieve it by means of extra gas mileage, whether it is aqua or faqua you are not gonna achieve it.

You have not taken in to account the Bragging rights and the acceptance by the Thel Hinganna fraternity.. :) They can get together and compare their fuel figures... who cares about the other minor losses.

• Like 2

Other factors for me are Safety ,comfort , and also i believe i can use a Jap vehicle longer than a Indian (My family own a CR27 for last 18 years and still no issues).

Alto most of the time runs about 15kmL but i think for a Aqua its about 25KmL which i believe better considering the above factors (alto don't have at lest a driver air bag. even if we drive 20Kmph one idiot A** h*** is enough to ruins many life's ) and i intend to use a Aqua for al least 10 years which will be a profit for me IMHO.

I haven't done a details cost analysis but considering the safety and comfy rides and the fuel cost cut down 1/2 per month and considering the maintenance intervals for a new Jap ride I say its a benefit compared to a Indian ride.

will it not be?

I like the experience opinions.

Other factors for me are Safety ,comfort , and also i believe i can use a Jap vehicle longer than a Indian (My family own a CR27 for last 18 years and still no issues).

Alto most of the time runs about 15kmL but i think for a Aqua its about 25KmL which i believe better considering the above factors (alto don't have at lest a driver air bag. even if we drive 20Kmph one idiot A** h*** is enough to ruins many life's ) and i intend to use a Aqua for al least 10 years which will be a profit for me IMHO.

I haven't done a details cost analysis but considering the safety and comfy rides and the fuel cost cut down 1/2 per month and considering the maintenance intervals for a new Jap ride I say its a benefit compared to a Indian ride.

will it not be?

You seem to be lost among two key concepts basic to the theory economics. First, on the investment that you are going to make and hence you are trying to make your decision based on the "opportunity cost" (buying a Aqua as opposed to keeping your Alto or buy a diesel car like CE110 etc and financial benefits of each choice). On the other hand, you are trying justify your purchase of a Aqua on its "utility" (comfort, safety, durability, look etc). You cannot put these two things into a single formula and get a result. If a majority of car users in your category (Let's say Altos, 10 year old Vitz etc) believes that they can make a profit buying an Aqua, running for 10 years (ie around 250,000km at your usage), they all would sell their cars tomorrow and queue up for Aquas. But this is not the reality. You cannot make an investment with zero opportunity cost nor that you will be able to get better utility for the same price. Just forget about all these mundane things and IMO go for your Aqua as long as it gives you better utility (keeping in mind that the utility is constrained by the price and your income, hence if you can afford it). Hope I did not confuse you more :D

• Like 3

will it not be?

IF you consider both the cars last the same duration (say 10 year for this), and in that 10 years you replace the hybrid battery once, routine maintenance, you are still probably ahead with keeping your car.

Not to mention the insurance cost of a more expensive car, the cost of service at these rip off hybrid service joints (or Toyota Lanka), etc.

Or you could try to not service it properly and have it get stuck climbing a hill somewhere like your initial question.

Yes i got the point..i know the cost will be high..may be double the cost of a aqua.but i believe this good option at the moment. so i made my mind to go for a Aqua L grade i know its with less options but i guess for 3.4mil or less its a good option too unless i get a S grade for my budget 3.5mil. which can use around 0.1mil for other Insurance ,registration ect.. this may be a idiotic idea too.... :speechless-smiley-004:

Well, you tried, peri, Ruma, trinity and all the others. You tried. I commend your efforts.

But Darwin won.

You had already bought the car before you asked no?

Or did we not consider the all important "show off CAC-xxxx plate to mr&mrs Perera next door" factor?

Would love to see you prove us wring in 10 years. Good luck with your car. If you ever need any more good advise which you will completely ignore, we're right here.

• Like 3

oh no not yet.. I'm still looking at the depth of the well...

I don't mind getting a KX-XXXX plate and has winders in the back doors of my car even next door Perera's has 9 air bags and full auto door visors unless i can run my car long drives without any frequent breakdowns which im intend to avoid by doing the maintenance well and better than others. even for my current car its same scenario ( i have changed even my clutch plates and fuel filter according to there instruction manual.)

And hay.. I start driving 4 years back and has run 47K Kms under my name so i'm still new driver. never ignore a advice from a experienced

driver ..

I wish there is a segment in AL as " ownership-reviews" so each user can maintain a log about there rides so every one can share ideas and ask questions.

Edited by kamal_bandara

Yes i got the point..i know the cost will be high..may be double the cost of a aqua.but i believe this good option at the moment. so i made my mind to go for a Aqua L grade i know its with less options but i guess for 3.4mil or less its a good option too unless i get a S grade for my budget 3.5mil. which can use around 0.1mil for other Insurance ,registration ect.. this may be a idiotic idea too.... :speechless-smiley-004:

Wow, good luck with insurance and other costs for LKR100,000. :) Great if you plan on spending it only once for your 10 year plan..... :)

• Like 1

Cost of insurance is considered too. For Indian cars insurance is not cheap i value mine for 1.6min and cost is 40000. all say its because they don't have reconditioned parts .i tried every known way to get a less price but could not get a one. so guess spending that amount is ok.

BTW i'm 30 now. why ?

See, a good Euro Diesel, like a well maintained A4 or a Merc C or E will give you gas mileage that will be as good as your Aqua, with less initial costs and far less depreciation and easier maintenance in the long run. If I were you, and had money stashed in a FD and is on the lookout for some safety, comfort and reliability, I would go for one of them.

Enough reputed local mechanics who knows their way around those barges in SL, parts are plenty and enough and more great examples to choose from. 10 years down the road, someone will still want to buy it, unlike a 10 year old Jap car with depleted batteries.

But that's me.

Asked your age cos you sound like a 16 year old boy with a man crush on Justin Bieber.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 4

LOL.... i have a crush on any hatchback anything that has not run more than 75K and has a good mileage and plenty of spare parts ( i intend to save some money for my kid so he wont have a hard time like me) that why i'm planing to go for a long term vehicle with less maintenance cost ( means less time spend in garage) not the regular service.

I have one concern only if a car is giving trouble every day and i have to spend about 10-15K per month for repairs.

LOL.... i have a crush on any hatchback anything that has not run more than 75K and has a good mileage and plenty of spare parts ( i intend to save some money for my kid so he wont have a hard time like me) that why i'm planing to go for a long term vehicle with less maintenance cost ( means less time spend in garage) not the regular service.

I have one concern only if a car is giving trouble every day and i have to spend about 10-15K per month for repairs.

Hey Askhole!

Can't you comprehend what the others are telling you? The Aqua will cost you MORE in the next 10 years than your current car And don't drag your kid's sad story into this; it's just a pathetic excuse!

You just want a flashy car; end of story. You can try argue it however way you want but "your kid" will have less money at the end of the day. If you just want a pat on your back for being noble and selfless goto your wife. You came here for objective advice, you were given it, but you're still here being stubborn for no reason.

• Like 3

Look mate, I used to own a 1994 Starlet which was owned by four people before me & I did not even spend the amount you have mentioned for repairs at least once a year. You can buy a well maintained hatchback if you look around well.

Hi all,

I'm in a very much confusing state as i was moving for the final phase of buying a TOYOTA AQUA and few of my friends are buying FIT since they say they have seen many breakdowns on AQUA. can some one share there experience on this matter please ? i have red some forums on US but every one is happy with the car and no one has said about breakdowns after buying them.

Also i cant find any details about in SL too about a AQUA breakdown on middle of the road.

I know since AQUA is a true hybrid if the battery is down can want start but since they are around 2 years old its highly unlike to go down and i met couple of car sellers who sell AQUA by changing the Japan auction sheets ( i have proof of a such auction sheet) to a auction grade 4 or 4.5 from a "R" (parts replaced or repaired) they are prone to have problems obliviously sine we don't know how much is damage done to other parts from a accident.

Can some one please give me some opinion on this ?

Changing Auction sheets?? Brother, before this big boom in the local car market (2007), couple of well known Importers were dominating the market. They used to do these for years. Some of them have their own vehicle yards in Japan where they repair so called 'R' grade vehicles & export to Sri Lanka.

Close your eyes & buy a Panda or Viva Elite. Non Hybrid & does more than 15kmpl isn't it? You're a fool if you listen to those kind of people who spread different kind of rumors about cars. You like a car.... buy one & just drive it.