• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Top 5 Things To Do When Car Stops In Road

rameez

guys thought of starting a thread about the top 5 things you would do when your car decides to stall.... My friend who was in aussie said that when they buy a car there is a payment to be made to an oraganisation( similar to AA in sri Lanka) on an annual basis so that if your car stops they will come to the rescuse anywhere in australia. Since over here this is not the practise generally what are the top 5 things you would do.

1. Put car in to a side so that no disturb for others.

2. Try restart yourself. (if starts, go ahead)

3. If step 2 fails, check for nearest mechanic. If starts, pay him a tip & go ahead.

4. If steps 2,3 fail, pull it or with the aid of a carrier, put the car to nearest garage or your regular garage.

5. Get the thing fixed & go home.

Edited by Uditha88
  • Like 1

Helpful topic. Rather than type a top-five list, let me contribute as follows.

1. Keep this number with you. 0777 714 714. It's exide battery-mobile service. If your car doesn't start due to an issue with a battery (usually you know it if the engine doesn't crank). They will come and help you get it started. It's free of charge and pretty much everywhere in Colombo and other major towns in the Sri Lanka are covered.

2. Keep the numbers of some car carrier services with you. I always recommend Jayagiri. 0777 870 870 for good service and reasonable rates. There are plenty of other car carriers in the country. I hope a few members can update the numbers.

3. Keep your tires properly filled before any (long or short) trip. Most of the time, it's the tyres that cause one to be stranded on the road. Jack, wheel brace, properly inflated and periodically checked spare wheel is a must.

4. I always carry a box with the following equipment in the car - Portable air pump, tow rope, jump-start cable, some fuses, some spanners (especially no. 8, 10 and 12) and torch. In addition, a big umbrella, a fuel can, some cotton waste lies in the boot. I contemplated on getting an emergency tyre repair kit like this one, but decided to train my better half on how to change a flat tyre instead (no success yet though!). For vehicles which are lady-driven, a kit like that might be useful.

That's all for now. Will add stuff later, when something comes to my mind...

• Like 8

Good stuff Crosswind :grinning-smiley-003:

By the way here's another carrier contact who claim they operate 24/7 - 0777 411800 / 0727 411800 (505 Motors).

I haven't used their services, but they once quoted 7K sometime back when I made an inquiry (from Mount Lavinia, near the Cop shop to Pepiliyana). Their yard was somewhere down Baseline road hence the charge was for the total Km's)

In contributing to the thread, here are some of my concerns:

1. If you need to leave the vehicle at some point (may be to look for a garage or a mechanic) it is always advisable to leave a clearly visible note with a contact mobile number and a message to say "Breakdown" or something. This will come useful in certain neighbourhoods with security restrictions or certain extra cautious residents. Once I was compelled to leave the car near to Lanka hospitals on Park Rd and was surprised to receive almost 3 calls within a short span of about 2 hrs. And one was from an MSD guy as some V*P has been in the vicinity. I always do have a notepad and a Pen in the car.

2. It is always better to do your own prelimenary basic check up / investigations before calling out a mechanic. Electricals, Engine etc. This way the chances of getting played out can be minimized if you are able to isolate the cause.

3. Smartphone users can have some basic free (torch) apps which provides the Hazard lightings feature on your phone screen. This may come handy specially if the car breaks down in the night in a less visible / poorly lit area. Well, now it does not mean to leave the phone lit in the car, but lets say, you are at a bend and need to work on the front end of the car; then it is safer to leave the phone lit with the Hazard feature and mount it somewhere within the rear head rest/s.

4. Finally, if ladies are in the car and if the destination is somewhat closer, pack them up in a cab and send off ;) - can peacefully attend to the repair.

Edited by Croozer
  • Like 2

Great thread and lots of useful advice. Thanks.

By the way here's another carrier contact who claim they operate 24/7 - 0777 411800 / 0727 411800 (505 Motors).

I haven't used their services, but they once quoted 7K sometime back when I made an inquiry (from Mount Lavinia, near the Cop shop to Pepiliyana). Their yard was somewhere down Baseline road hence the charge was for the total Km's)

I have used 505 motors. They were the only service that responded at 1am in the night when my car was stalled near Kelaniya. As I remember they charged Rs. 9000 to carry it from Kelaniya to Maharagama. This was about 6 months ago.

In addition to the advice everyone has give, I would suggest carrying around an auto jumper.

Good thread !!!

I would like to add some items to crosswind's list.

(1) A pair of cotton gloves , as they are very much helpfull at a tyre pucture while you are rushing to office/any special event.

(2) You can use Reflective Triangle Warning Kit, if needed and if you have.

(3) As I am using a hatchback, I have custom made boot carpet in doboule folded (having preatty surface area and light weight) and in any case, if need to check the underneath the vehicle, can be used.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

our people although come to help...sometimes scorn at you when car breaks down. I have seen this specially from the BMW and Mercs.Felt really sorry for a gentlemen who was in his 60s when his corolla KE72 packed up near DS Senanayake College

For hybrid vehicles,

Hybrid motors 011 2696246

24 hrs towing hotline 0773 233332

These numbers are usefull especially for the Prius drivers as the front wheels will remain locked unless the power supply is restored.

This happened to my wife once when the ICP packed up.The car carrier was useless at this time and she called the above hotline. After that two technicians came, replaced a blown fuse and drove the car to their garage for the repair.

Edited by rover

i had a flat on the highway, mostly due to taking a car that was not maintained at all. here's what i would do (did) in that situ:

1. pull over. don't hit the brakes too hard the car will swerve. try to keep a straight line and let the engine slow you down gently. get tot he shoulder of the road. if you steer too hard, the rubber will come off the wheel and you're in all sorts of horseradish then.

2. put your hazards on. those light sserve a purpose OTHER than to indicate your crossing a 4 way junction! (who came up with that??)

3. call 1969. try to tell them where you are by the nearest marker, and the trouble. if its fixable/a flat, tell them you will try to sort it out, and what you intend to do to sort it out. they will come to help you if you request, but at a price. and you might not need to fork out 2500+ if its a matter as simple as a flat.

4. be very VERY careful when exiting your car. check the lane for traffic. 100kmph (or more, as i see now) is pant-wetting when you're standing on the road.

5. change the tyre with an eye on the road. it'll help if you have one of those hazard traingles which you can set up so that other drivers will see and avoid you.

6. once done, call 1969 and tell them you're ok. they'll take down your details.

7. don't drive more than 60kmph on the donut. your sterring/suspension geometry isn't matched for that tiny little thing at thoes speeds.

• Like 2