• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi,

Kindly post your comments if you have ever used a super hydrophobic spray such as Nikwax.

Ex: http://www.kitwizard.com//nikwax-txdirect-spray-300ml-p-292.html

They say that this kind of products can make the fabric to be water resistant and working as a water repellent with nano technology. However I could not find any of this item in Sri Lanka yet but if you know a place that can buy, please reply.

Also if you have used it for your vehicle or any other, please share your experience. Thank you.

6 answers to this question

Hi,

Kindly post your comments if you have ever used a super hydrophobic spray such as Nikwax.

Ex: http://www.kitwizard.com//nikwax-txdirect-spray-300ml-p-292.html

They say that this kind of products can make the fabric to be water resistant and working as a water repellent with nano technology. However I could not find any of this item in Sri Lanka yet but if you know a place that can buy, please reply.

Also if you have used it for your vehicle or any other, please share your experience. Thank you.

A couple of friends have tried similar items, i dont remember all thier names, but i remember one was neverwet. Yes, it works as a hydrophorbic surface. They used it on their motorcycle boots and one even dared to use it on his phone. They DO work as they claim, but they arent very durable. It wears out fast. On a riding shoes, the area that contacts with the gear was the first to wear out. Then the rest starts to peel off when the boot flexes with movement. But worst part is that it isnt 100% transparent. So it leave a foggy/white layer, which is a bug turn off for me.

Edited by Watchman

A couple of friends have tried similar items, i dont remember all thier names, but i remember one was neverwet. Yes, it works as a hydrophorbic surface. They used it on their motorcycle boots and one even dared to use it on his phone. They DO work as they claim, but they arent very durable. It wears out fast. On a riding shoes, the area that contacts with the gear was the first to wear out. Then the rest starts to peel off when the boot flexes with movement. But worst part is that it isnt 100% transparent. So it leave a foggy/white layer, which is a bug turn off for me.

Yes. The brand "Nikwax" testing videos at youtube does not show any foggy/white layer after applying. But some claims that it does on some of those forums. Just ordered one "Nikwax Tx Direct Spray" from ebay and waiting to see how it goes. :) Thanks Watchman for the reply.

Yes. The brand "Nikwax" testing videos at youtube does not show any foggy/white layer after applying. But some claims that it does on some of those forums. Just ordered one "Nikwax Tx Direct Spray" from ebay and waiting to see how it goes. :) Thanks Watchman for the reply.

Spraying that stuff is an art just like any other type of spray painting. The guys doing it on the adverts would have done it 100s of times before knowing the exact way of doing it. So don't go spraying something too expensive in your first try.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to use this on?

Spraying that stuff is an art just like any other type of spray painting. The guys doing it on the adverts would have done it 100s of times before knowing the exact way of doing it. So don't go spraying something too expensive in your first try.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to use this on?

There are some fabrics that I like to be water repellent as seen on such promotional videos like the Canopy of my jeep. Also want to try out on the windshield and other side glasses. As you said, before everything I am going to try this on a sample to see how it needs to spray and how it works after that. Another DIY project and hope it will turn out to be a good one.

Edited by Nishan.dj

There are some fabrics that I like to be water repellent as seen on such promotional videos like the Canopy of my jeep. Also want to try out on the windshield and other side glasses. As you said, before everything I am going to try this on a sample to see how it needs to spray and how it works after that. Another DIY project and hope it will turn out to be a good one.

OK this sounds a bit silly, but isnt the jeep canvas water proof already?

As for the glasses this might not help cos the wiper movements will scratch it right off; The side windows will have the same issue as the beading will scrape off the thin film. Why don't you just use something like rainX which is meant for glass?

OK this sounds a bit silly, but isnt the jeep canvas water proof already?

As for the glasses this might not help cos the wiper movements will scratch it right off; The side windows will have the same issue as the beading will scrape off the thin film. Why don't you just use something like rainX which is meant for glass?

:D yes it looks like so. And the canopy is already water proof but not water repellant. Therefore better trying this out. And I think for windshield also it won't work as supposed because of the wiper and stuff. Anyway lets try something different.