• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Viva Elite Engine Trouble

kalingabd

Posting this on behalf of a friend of mine. :)

This is regarding a perodua elite 2009 model.

When the car slows down, the engine light on the dashboard gets switched on and the engine is turned off. This has happened only a couple of times and did come up when i was driving the car once as well. However, the car starts up normally again and seems to run smooth after that. :speechless-smiley-019:

Guys any idea what the issue can possibly be?

Any idea of a place to go to? is the agent the best place?

Anything more we can do to know the root cause of the issue? :speechless-smiley-019:

Searched around the forum..Could not find a similar post. Apologies if I missed an existing similar topic.

Edited by kalingabd

Go to a workshop where a diagnostic scan can be done. The actual error code that resulted in the check engine light to come on will still be stored in the ECU's history. The scanner will pick the error code up. You will then be able to address the actual issue.

• Like 1

Check the car, may be Viva Elite Hybrid version. :P

Since it is 2009 model, are you sure it is a Viva or Viva Elite?

If Viva, it has 660cc, 800cc & 1000cc variants.

Is it A/T or M/T? (If it is A/T, definitely 1000cc only.)

What is the mileage?

If you go to agents, go to Unit#d Mot#rs Orugodawatta and contact Mr.Randika (077-2663670)

Did you check the battery wire terminals are properly tightened? I experienced somewhat similar situation with my previous Alto, due to poor battery terminal connection.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Go to a workshop where a diagnostic scan can be done. The actual error code that resulted in the check engine light to come on will still be stored in the ECU's history. The scanner will pick the error code up. You will then be able to address the actual issue.

May be you have to go to Un*m@. B'cos Viva / Viva Elite data port is not OBD2. So most of the diagnostic places wont be able to check the issue. May be Un*m@ have diagnostic for Viva. (Not sure, thats what i think.) I had a OBD2 scanner but did not work for Viva. But that port exactly matched the OBD2 scanner but did not give any reading..

But as Sampath said it would be helpful to check the battery terminals.

Kmeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

Before going to anywhere, check the battery terminal as suggested in a earlier post. A few years back in my Ek3 had a same kind of issue due to the loose battery terminal. While car is on running, engine switched off and all indicators turned on, then it starts up normally and run. But in my case, it lighted up all the indicators like, check engine light, oil and break indicators.

Its is an VIVA. Apologies for the blunder. Did not knw the difference. All of them look same to me :speechless-smiley-004:

And it is A/T. Mileage is 40K.

Slows down and stops. period. I opened the bonnet the last time when it happened. Everything seems cool as normal.

To think of it it happens only when the car is at a standstill in the traffic, not while its moving. So basically when the car is driven, this issue doesnt come up.

In addition to this, the RPM is over 01 since a fortnight back. always. Need a tune up as well I believe.

Edited by kalingabd

@Ferio and @sampath. Will check the battery terminals. But the curious thing here is only the engine light comes up when this happens. Not the other indicators.

@Dinuka No the car runs smooth. acceleration normal.

Thanks for all the info regarding the agent. Will keep you guys updated.

Its is an VIVA. Apologies for the blunder. Did not knw the difference. All of them look same to me :speechless-smiley-004:

And it is A/T. Mileage is 40K.

Slows down and stops. period. I opened the bonnet the last time when it happened. Everything seems cool as normal.

To think of it it happens only when the car is at a standstill in the traffic, not while its moving. So basically when the car is driven, this issue doesnt come up.

In addition to this, the RPM is over 01 since a fortnight back. always. Need a tune up as well I believe.

If the mileage is 40,000km, as per manufacturer, .

(1) Need to change ATF. (ATF change at every 40,000km)

(2) Need engine tune up (Engine tune up at every 20,000km)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys..

thanks.

problem solved.

took the car to unimo and like @sampath said had a chat with ranjith, who advised doing exactly the same thing suggested here.

1/ Engine tuneup

2/ ATF change

While doing that, during some checkup they identified that the sparker plugs were faulty and replaced them.

No issue now. No idea what exactly resolved the issue. but the car runs fine now as per my frentho :sport-smiley-004: thanks a lot.

One small query tho.

The rpm with AC on is at 1000. Is this normal?

these are small engine cars 1000cc. So doing service on time , Tune up on time (every 20000km) and AT change (40000km) is must. Not like japanese car.

the rpm with AC on is at 1000. Is this normal?

i think this is normal. But the when you drive your car for better fuel consumption best rpm level is 2.5

these are small engine cars 1000cc. So doing service on time , Tune up on time (every 20000km) and AT change (40000km) is must. Not like japanese car.

the rpm with AC on is at 1000. Is this normal?

i think this is normal. But the when you drive your car for better fuel consumption best rpm level is 2.5

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile.... How does the fact that they are 1000cc cars make doing the service on time "is must"? And how come Japanese cars are not like that? What about Japanese 1000cc cars, what happens then?

Do elaborate, I'm sure everyone is curious to know..

Edited by Supra_Natural