• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Delica 4D56 Engine Issue

SLA

Question

My van (Mitsubishi Delica PO15) engine has the below issue.

When I start the engine and check the oil pipe removing the oil stick, I can see some white smoke is coming out with some oil drops.

Is this an indication of an engine fault? How long would I be able to use this engine without a repair?

I checked same about 6000Km before and this issue was not there.

If I need to do a repair, how much will it cost for me to do it?

I am planning to sell this vehicle in near future, so need to fix this before selling.

8 answers to this question

I am no expert machan.

Seems like ur engine is under compression.

My dad owns a pajero with 4d56, the engine was under compression but we never received any issues with starting the engine in the morning and stuff. Only symptoms were smoke from the oil "pipe" and less pulling power :sad-smiley-067:

4d56 lasts long. You say this was not visible prior to 6000kms.. So possibly u can run about 25-35K or even more (saying that since we did so with the pajero..if the engine has not been bored before I think the life of the engine is more then).

As to the expenses, we did the engine cylinder boring at wi@k@m. Spent about 125-130 on that..and about 50 more for other stuff (turbo service, etc,,)

180 - 200 should be a good target.

Mind you I am no expert, and the experts here would help u more on this. :action-smiley-035:

Dad is using 4D56 for about 15+ years now and this was one of the trusted engine

- As Kalingabd pointed its showing the wear and tears also this is a sign of under compression BUT still you will be able to drive without any issue if its a non turbo model

- On turbo model you will see oil start leaking from turbo unit but on non turbo engine just keep going but less pulling power

Better repair the engine now and you can prevent some other damages i guess

Cheers

JC

4D56 is a very reliable and trouble free engine but little under-powered for Pajero.

If there is no overheating , no difficulty in starting and no significant drop of pulling power, there is no need to overhaul it immediately. Anyway it will slowly develop oozing oil from sump packing, breather hose and oil seals.

However you have to prepare for a overhaul in future if you are going to keep it for long.

Thanks all for the replies.. one more thing to add. I do not see any oil burning in the engine. I service every 4000Km, and do not see oil level drop even at 4000km.

Also, I checked with a well known spare parts shop and they say the ring set and the overhaul kit costs only around Rs.12000 (twelve thousand).

Thank you all.. I showed the vehicle to a mechanic(he is a technically qualified guy).

He said that I do not need to bother much and engine is still in average good condition. He told me it is normal to come oil drops out of the pipe of this engine model(I have to accept this is not a brand new engine:) :)

As he mentioned, engine is about 50% in condition and I can use it further without bothering about it.