• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airfix And Other Model Builders Thread

Supra_Natural

Aha! Now we're talking! What kits do you build? Aeroplanes? Cars? War dioramas? I'm an avid aeroplane modeller in 1/72 scale.
And Komi; that 8880 was my dream as well. But what really caught my attention back in 1998 (among other sets) was this-

Lego Technic Competition 8257

lego-technic-8257-foto-bild-71838742.jpg

(shamelessly borrowed from the internet)

Mum, being the thoughtful parent that she is, saw both my sister's and my enthusiasm for the kit in the catalogue and managed to get one down through a friend. We received it on the 1st of January 1999...What better way to start the year! :sport-smiley-004: I still have both and mine (the purple machine) is almost complete. Sadly, my late dog managed to get hold of the green machine's operator and chewed the helmet to a pulp. I'm looking at ordering the missing bits and making them complete again.

I also remember drooling over the LEGO Model Team planes and helicopters. The coolest was the big red flatbed with a red F14-ish jet loaded on the back. A quick search reveals that complete examples of this set sells for $200+..darn!

EDIT: to avoid going OT on the lego thread, the Airfix posts have been moved here.. Use this thread for discussion of airfix and other related model kit building... Cheers!

Airplanes machan, just recently got back into it, used to build loads of kits as a kid but unfortunately then proceeded to recreate great air battles with them lol... So as you can imagine none of them survived, I built at least 20 I think over the years. :(

Started again with a 1.72 scale Supermarine Spitfire Mk1 and then did a North American Mustang in UK squadron colours. The latest two were the first ones I painted properly, the ones i built as a kid were not painted... Well when I say properly I mean the spitfire looks like a wartime field paintjob! The mustang was painted by my better half so it ended up looking nice. We are planning to do another kit this month maybe, Nastars had a massive warship kit, a world war II county class cruiser from the Royal Navy I think and we thought about being ambitious but that had sold when I went to get it, probably a good thing!

Edited by Supra_Natural

Airplanes machan, just recently got back into it, used to build loads of kits as a kid but unfortunately then proceeded to recreate great air battles with them lol... So as you can imagine none of them survived, I built at least 20 I think over the years. :(

Started again with a 1.72 scale Supermarine Spitfire Mk1 and then did a North American Mustang in UK squadron colours. The latest two were the first ones I painted properly, the ones i built as a kid were not painted... Well when I say properly I mean the spitfire looks like a wartime field paintjob! The mustang was painted by my better half so it ended up looking nice. We are planning to do another kit this month maybe, Nastars had a massive warship kit, a world war II county class cruiser from the Royal Navy I think and we thought about being ambitious but that had sold when I went to get it, probably a good thing!

I can relate! My first kits weren't painted either and only a handful still survive. I've got a nice selection of acrylic paint now so I should start painting the built models before starting new kits. You should probably order online and look at Hasegawa's 1/72 offerings for realistic kits.

This F4F-4 Wildcat was built in 2005 and I had painted it with poster paint... :sad-smiley-058: cleaned that gunk off in 2009 and used it as my test bird. I tried my hand at weathering her too...I think I overdid it! :sport-smiley-004:

Academy172GrummanF4F-4WildcatStage3.jpg

Edited by Jaliya48
  • Like 1

As there seems to be interest (well at least Jaliya and me lol), opened the thread for airfix and other model kitbuilding discussion...

Here's a pic of the spitfire with its "field expedient" (I.e. piss poor) paintjob

7fk6.jpg

And heres the 'stang

eecw.jpg

Edited by Supra_Natural

I'm not sure if any of you were able to watch James May's series Toy Stories. They made a 1:1 scale spitfire just like Supra's. Sadly the series has been taken off Youtube.

But all of those who have a child at heart SHOULD watch it. There's lego, scaletrix, meccano and a few more...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if any of you were able to watch James May's series Toy Stories. They made a 1:1 scale spitfire just like Supra's. Sadly the series has been taken off Youtube.

But all of those who have a child at heart SHOULD watch it. There's lego, scaletrix, meccano and a few more...

Watched the airfix one, think i downloaded it as well... didnt get around to watching the rest though, must torrent.

As there seems to be interest (well at least Jaliya and me lol), opened the thread for airfix and other model kitbuilding discussion...

Here's a pic of the spitfire with its "field expedient" (I.e. piss poor) paintjob

7fk6.jpg

And heres the 'stang

eecw.jpg

Not bad! What paints did you use? Humbrol enamel? Enamel paints are not so easy to work with, unfortunately. They're ideal for brush painting, but it takes ages to dry and generally smells nasty :sad-smiley-058:

@Komi; thanks! If you're interested, here's what it looked like before being redone-

DSC02327m.jpg

and now, this-

Academy172GrummanF4F-4WildcatSta-2.jpg

still need practice with spraying white! :speechless-smiley-004:

The last model I built has still not been completed. I spent a long time on accuracy and realism on it though and I always think of completing it but it gets pushed back :sport-smiley-004: I'll post some photos of it later today.

I saw some guys with remote control model air crafts on sunday near J'pura hospital road (Thalapathpitiya) when i went for walking. So i talked to one of them and there seems to have a RC flyinng club at Madiwela. They import parts and assemble here according to the guys. I searched google and got their web site:

http://rcflyingarena.com/

But the plains were not painted as many of them were some "Rigiform" like material

Jaliya I have a book which has directions for making ww1&2 planes from paper and wood. I'll bring it by sometime. I tried my hand at it when I was around 11-12, but obviously the results were not exactly upto scratch. It's really difficult. I remember some models like the spitfire, sopwith pup, the fokker triplane, the one that made the first transatlantic flight being there.

Maybe you and I could try our hand at it one Sunday.

• Like 1

Jaliya I have a book which has directions for making ww1&2 planes from paper and wood. I'll bring it by sometime. I tried my hand at it when I was around 11-12, but obviously the results were not exactly upto scratch. It's really difficult. I remember some models like the spitfire, sopwith pup, the fokker triplane, the one that made the first transatlantic flight being there. Maybe you and I could try our hand at it one Sunday.

DUDE! Bring it over! Or better yet, I'll drop in on a Saturday or Sunday!

If you guys are hot for old war planes (or any subject for that matter, ie. cars, bikes, ships, buildings, bridges etc) you can find models you can build completely out of paper. Google "spitfire paper model" for example and you can find templates you can download. These templates usually come as .pdf files that prints on to A4 paper. you cut out the parts, form them and glue together to build the model.

The level of realism increases with the difficulty of the particular kit and scale. Some kits are free, some needs payment (though not nearly as expensive as a plastic kit). Most of them come in colour so no painting is needed if you print them out in full colour.

I never managed to finish a plane though mate. I haven't had the same drive about planes for me to see through to the end. I remember attempting a jet fighter and a WW2 plane. I think I only managed to finish the WW@ plane but cannot find a pic of it for the life of me.

I built a Red Arrows spec BAF. I had a go at painting, but was a kid at the time so made a bit of a hash of it, as too where the very hard to apply decals. I was amazed at the level of detail in it though, and always loved building em, especially as I got a second BAE Hawk quite coincidentally from a friend. That of course remained unpainted, and I do recall building a VW bug or at least part building it....

Can't remember for the life of me what happened to it. Is there anywhere locally that sells airfix? Really need to to start again!

Used to buy and build Tamiya kits when o/seas. had a fairly large collection of WW2 fighters and bombers. 1:72 scale stuff like a Junkers Ju87 and 88, P57 Mustang, B17 Flying Fortress and a Spitfire and favourite a P38 Lightening whose Superchargers on the engine nacelles required me to glue the turbines one piece at a time.

Largest one I had was a scale model of the Russian carrier Kuznetsov complete with her fighter complement. Took 4 days and nights without much sleep to complete

Fun times.

A completed Kuznetsov. The pictures do not do justice to the amount of detailing it has.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34697&start=90

Edited by VVTi