• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Important Is The Thermostat?

VVTi

Davy

Thanks for the info machan.. Did receive your text also sorry couldnt reply. Could you ask your friend how long does it took to receive the part. Cuz at the rate i'm burning fuel, i really need to put a solution to this as soon as possible to prevent me from going bankrupt. :P

On a side note, although valve opened till boiling point, i doubt it opened 8.5mm cuz the visible gap was like 4 - 5mms.

My friend (c1nder) says that it takes about a week or so for the parts to land here. I think the packaging contains the thermostat and the thermostat housing gasket as well.

I'd like to agree with VVTi and propose that you DIY this. It's pretty easy, one hose clip and two bolts to be exact. :)

Rumesh

This i wii check today and confirm machan. But on a cold start it took lot of time to kick in (say abot 10 15 mins) as observed after removing the thermostat at the agents. At that time gauge was nearing quarter point.

P.S VVTi I hope you dont mind me highjacking your thread :)

I missed a point - pls do it with the AC off. If your radiator fan starts at the quarter mark on the gauge then either the gauge is wrong or the ECT sensor is wrong. (Both can go wrong but the probability is low). In that case no point in replacing the thermostat. Let's see your observation first.

Bit of an update.

Since the stat and the CTS went in, my fuel figures have improved.

By how much?, I hear you ask.. LOL

Without the thermostat and the old CTS, I was happy with 4-5kmpl in the city, but now, I am averaging 7.5- 9kmpl... as long as I keep to low boost.

Yes, it has made that much of a difference.

Can there be an unequal cylinder wear due to this? This thing came to me after I decided to check my mechanic whether he is a Makabass. He said he doesn't recommend the removal and he has seen conical type piston wearing in vehicles which has removed thermostat because, considerable heat gradient exist from top to bottom for a long time in absence of a thermostat. Is it that bad?

Small update..

Rumesh I checked how the fans kick in and they started operating when the gauge comes to quarter point. It took about 15 minutes in the cold start.

Further last week came from kalutara to kaduwela via expressway and gauge went up only few millimeters from the cold point. Anyway I went ahead and bought a thermostat from panchi yesterday . Genuine cost me 6000. Only 2 shops had it and only one accepted credit cards.

Just FYI currently car does about 5kmpl in city and out 10. Earlier it did 10 in the city easily. Figures somewhat matches with VVTis findings..

Small update.. Rumesh I checked how the fans kick in and they started operating when the gauge comes to quarter point. It took about 15 minutes in the cold start. Further last week came from kalutara to kaduwela via expressway and gauge went up only few millimeters from the cold point. Anyway I went ahead and bought a thermostat from panchi yesterday . Genuine cost me 6000. Only 2 shops had it and only one accepted credit cards. Just FYI currently car does about 5kmpl in city and out 10. Earlier it did 10 in the city easily. Figures somewhat matches with VVTis findings..

Good that you bought an original for we can us it as a reference now. But as I pointed out earlier if the fans kick in earlier than they are supposed to they may bring the temperature down a bit earlier. However, now that you have good thermostat in hand get it fixed and see how long it takes for the temperature to come up to the quarter mark and then whether the fans kick in at that point. Even so the temperature should go closer to midpoint after sometime. If it takes more than 1/2 km of driving in low country conditions to get to the mid point then you will have to change the ECT sensor. In case if the temperature still remain at 1/4 mark continually then of course you may have to suspect the gauge. Let's see your observations again.

@Charith - What your mechanic told you may be a distant possibility for some block designs but to me it sounds like a bit of an overstatement.

ooohhhh Magnum..... I TOLD YOU.. Put your damn thermostat back on and stop bragging about your engine not getting heat up

My thermostat is working fine, the temperature gauge is working. I have a big radiator and a really good engine which is my engine temperature stays at cool most of the time

My thermostat is working fine, the temperature gauge is working. I have a big radiator and a really good engine which is my engine temperature stays at cool most of the time

After reading through this article what I feel is, even though how big the radiator is engine Temperature should stay normal instead of cold if the thermostat working isn't it Magnum? :)

After reading through this article what I feel is, even though how big the radiator is engine Temperature should stay normal instead of cold if the thermostat working isn't it Magnum? :)

My thermostat works fine, i once revved my engine at around 3000k RPM for around 20-30min(without A/C) the temperature gauge came up to middle and went a bit past it, then the radiator fan turned on and brought it back to middle. When i turn on the A/C both my radiator fans work then the temperature stays at cold the whole time unless if im going up a really steep hill in 1st or 2nd gear for a long time.

I replaced my radiator sometime back, its a radiator made a for automatic diesel Bluebird as my car is a manual its bigger than what it needs. Before i replaced my engine somewhere in early 2013 it used to be in warm and then heat up at times..

My thermostat works fine, i once revved my engine at around 3000k RPM for around 20-30min(without A/C) the temperature gauge came up to middle and went a bit past it, then the radiator fan turned on and brought it back to middle. When i turn on the A/C both my radiator fans work then the temperature stays at cold the whole time unless if im going up a really steep hill in 1st or 2nd gear for a long time.

I replaced my radiator sometime back, its a radiator made a for automatic diesel Bluebird as my car is a manual its bigger than what it needs. Before i replaced my engine somewhere in early 2013 it used to be in warm and then heat up at times..

If your engine does not come to operating temperature then you have an issue in the system. Its quite simple, if you've fitted a different radiator as you say then you will need to fit the appropriate thermostat. Running an engine cooler than operating temp is not good for it either.

If your engine does not come to operating temperature then you have an issue in the system. Its quite simple, if you've fitted a different radiator as you say then you will need to fit the appropriate thermostat. Running an engine cooler than operating temp is not good for it either.

Its not a different radiator, its a radiator made for my model, but its for an auto tranny, mine is manual and even before replaced the radiator it was pretty much the same. Its the new engine which takes ages to warm up

Davy machan,

Could you check the workshop manual and see whether what you observed yesterday regarding the thermostat temp figures. (I dont have the manual here in my office pc machan.) Model goes as CS1ASNDR.

Here you go trinity. I think you should be looking for a thermostat between 86.5 and 89.5 temp as per the manual. I checked with CS1ASNDR and there are two main thermostat part numbers which are compatible with your car. They are: MD170031 and MD337408. There are many substitute part numbers as well, but these two are main.

Thermostat_zps74271530.jpg

What's the part number of the thermostat you got?

Edited by Davy

Here you go trinity. I think you should be looking for a thermostat between 86.5 and 89.5 temp as per the manual. I checked with CS1ASNDR and there are two main thermostat part numbers which are compatible with your car. They are: MD170031 and MD337408. There are many substitute part numbers as well, but these two are main.

Thermostat_zps74271530.jpg

What's the part number of the thermostat you got?

Thanks bro..

So this means that i can use the thermostat which i bought rite?

Thanks bro..

So this means that i can use the thermostat which i bought rite?

That was 88c right? If so, you can absolutely use it. Can you tell me the part number of the thermostat you got?

Its MD337408 machan

Guess you have picked up the correct thermostat.

For others' info:

The thermostat that was on trinity's car was a 75.5 Celcius one. This explains why his car was running cool (since the stat would open sooner than it's supposed to). A previous owner might have replaced the thermostat without actually checking for the specified temperature. The new one is 88C and is according to the specs. Once the new thermostat is installed, the engine should reach operating temperature soon. Let's wait and see.

• Like 2

Okay..

New thermostat went in today.

Observations, gauge started to move quicker than before and went tad bit above the quarter point in about two minutes. After about 10 minutes drive in normal traffic conditions, it reached the half mark and stayed there.

So guess now its working as it should. Rumesh I'lll see how and when the fans kick in tommorow and update you.

Hope everything will be ok.

Fingers crossed!!

Okay..

New thermostat went in today.

Observations, gauge started to move quicker than before and went tad bit above the quarter point in about two minutes. After about 10 minutes drive in normal traffic conditions, it reached the half mark and stayed there.

So guess now its working as it should. Rumesh I'lll see how and when the fans kick in tommorow and update you.

Hope everything will be ok.

Fingers crossed!!

If the temperature goes up as you say then there is nothing to worry about. The fans may kick in a tad bit earlier but since the temperature is now stabilized by the thermostat it should n't matter anymore (unless of course you are a perfectionist and want your car to operate at laboratory standards! :D however, there is nothing wrong in pursuing it further). +1 to Davy for pointing out that you had the wrong thermostat earlier.

Edited by Rumesh88

If the temperature goes up as you say then there is nothing to worry about. The fans may kick in a tad bit earlier but since the temperature is now stabilized by the thermostat it should n't matter anymore (unless of course you are a perfectionist and want your car to operate at laboratory standards! :D however, there is nothing wrong in pursuing it further). +1 to Davy for pointing out that you had the wrong thermostat earlier.

I'm not a perfectionist machan,,, :) :) Then i should not worry about it any more. Will keep a close eye of the fuel figures and of petrol smells in coming days. + so many ones for Davy machan, he has helped me a lot in the past as well. Great guy and i'm learning so many things from him.

So VVTi, i'm tankful to you for bringing this topic up and for showing a side that i didn't know earlier. And Davy & Rumesh88 thank you so much for the support and for the information shared, really appreciate it.

Cheers!

p.s. will update any developments in this regard in furture as well.

@trinity. Just an after thought. Now that you found out the thermostat you had was 75.5 one is there any possibility that the coolant temperature sensor was also changed for some reason? Better you keep a eye on when the fans kick in, particularly if you want to optimize your fuel consumption.

adding to what Rumesh said, and ensure you fill up the coolant system with the closest type of coolant you can find locally. NOT that STR shite... either go to UniMo and buy the genuine stuff or Wurth or Valvoline at UniMo.

Avoid the pre-mixed Caltex Lanka Lime crap too...

One more thing Trinity, this a a bit too extreme. but I did just to be sure, wipe the inside of the tail pipe really well with a cloth and ensure thee is no soot. After a few days driving check with your finger to see the level of soot, a light coating is good news! :)

That is more or less a physical clue that the car is not running rich anymore.

Edited by VVTi
  • Like 1

@trinity. Just an after thought. Now that you found out the thermostat you had was 75.5 one is there any possibility that the coolant temperature sensor was also changed for some reason? Better you keep a eye on when the fans kick in, particularly if you want to optimize your fuel consumption.

OK machan.. will check.

adding to what Rumesh said, and ensure you fill up the coolant system with the closest type of coolant you can find locally. NOT that STR shite... either go to UniMo and buy the genuine stuff or Wurth or Valvoline at UniMo.

Avoid the pre-mixed Caltex Lanka Lime crap too...

One question about Wurth, That one litre bottle, is it to be mixed with water or used as is?

• MADZ featured this topic