• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiator Leak Fixed, But Still Leaking - Mitsubishi C62A 1991 (Asp)

Iroshw

Question

Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi C62A 1991 car (ASP Model). There was a small leak in the radiator and tried to get help from a Mechanic to close it. But unfortunately thing got worse. The small leak has become a huge mess. The leak was in the mid of a water link (corner). So the mechanic guy tried to weld it but it opened 10 times bigger. Anyhow, he closed the huge hole by welding the area (totally messed the thing). I took the radiator home and checked, there was a big leak. I used a hard glue (mixing two tubes together - Gray and black and becomes hard when mixing, can't remember the name) close the entire place. It worked for a few days, but again can see a small leak from the same place (can't figure the exact place due to the large area with glue).

Please let me know, is it ok if I close the relevant water line by closing it from both ends? I mean by removing the line? Will it affect the car heat? And, will it be a problem to apply a lot of glue and close the half of the water line?

Even now I see sometimes the heat goes up (little) and the water also reducing when drive long way. I don't think that finding the leak and close since the place is a messed now. I can't go for a new CORE now and looking for a way to repair this and use.

Please help.

Regards,

Irosh

18 answers to this question

I do not want you to take a chance with your cooling system but you don't seem to have much of a choice do you? You can close one water line in the core and still run without much issue provided, all the other water lines in the core are working, you do not run in heavy traffic conditions, you don't use the car everyday, you run without the AC and you use a coolant not plain water. It is a trial and error thing but still keep a close eye on the engine temperature and the water level even if the trial succeeds.

Edit: Please note if the leaky water line failed due to rust, you may have other water lines too on the brink of failure and you may be running your car on borrowed time. If so go for a replacement as soon as possible.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 4

I do not want you to take a chance with your cooling system but you don't seem to have much of a choice do you? You can close one water line in the core and still run without much issue provided, all the other water lines in the core are working, you do not run in heavy traffic conditions, you don't use the car everyday, you run without the AC and you use a coolant not plain water. It is a trial and error thing but still keep a close eye on the engine temperature and the water level even if the trial succeeds.

Edit: Please note if the leaky water line failed due to rust, you may have other water lines too on the brink of failure and you may be running your car on borrowed time. If so go for a replacement as soon as possible.

+1. Couldn't have put it into words better myself.

Guys,

I drive my car every day (40-50 Kms) and there is a huge traffic as well (its Galle Road). The temp goes up a little and sometimes I see the extra water tank (linked to the Radiator) boiled too. The A/C is broken too but I use the fan. Also, I have a concern about other water lines, is there a way to check whether core water lines are working or not? Is it ok to use an air compressor to the radiator to open any blocks?

Edited by Iroshw

Guys,

I drive my car every day (40-50 Kms) and there is a huge traffic as well (its Galle Road). The temp goes up a little and sometimes I see the extra water tank (linked to the Radiator) boiled too. The A/C is broken too but I use the fan. Also, I have a concern about other water lines, is there a way to check whether core water lines are working or not? Is it ok to use an air compressor to the radiator to open any blocks?

Iroshw, if it is you who is pocketing out the fuel cost, get a loan, replace the radiator, use public transport (not much of a difference in terms of convenience given it is Galle road these days and no AC) for two months and settle the loan from savings. If it is your company or the business paying for the fuel cost, again get a loan, replace the radiator, USE the car and SOMEHOW settle the loan. I'm afraid now that you have explained the position better, I do not see any other way to get you out of the rut!

BTW you can clean a radiator with compressed air and/or pressurized water but it would not guarantee clean up of all the water lines. The top tank can be removed to clean it but may not be advisable in this case if the water lines have become corroded and mechanically weak.

• Like 4

The cooling system is not something to take a chance with. It should be working properly or else may result in severe damage to the engine and related components. Glue in a cooling system will not work for long. Suggest to get it professionally repaired or replaced as it will definitely save a lot of money and trouble in the long run.

Iroshw, if it is you who is pocketing out the fuel cost, get a loan, replace the radiator, use public transport (not much of a difference in terms of convenience given it is Galle road these days and no AC) for two months and settle the loan from savings. If it is your company or the business paying for the fuel cost, again get a loan, replace the radiator, USE the car and SOMEHOW settle the loan. I'm afraid now that you have explained the position better, I do not see any other way to get you out of the rut!

BTW you can clean a radiator with compressed air and/or pressurized water but it would not guarantee clean up of all the water lines. The top tank can be removed to clean it but may not be advisable in this case if the water lines have become corroded and mechanically weak.

Kudos Rumesh.. couldn't have said it any better. Man you really are a gift to the forum. Keep up the good work.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, as you all said, I'm planning to replace the core. I found a great place at Panchikawatta (Alahakoonwatte) and they are reconditioned radiators as well. Planning to repair it on Saturday.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Irosh

Hi guys, would appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on a reliable radiator worksop nearby to Kalubowila, Hill Street, Nedimala or Galle Rd (Dehiwela). Today after about a 20Km drive the Temp meter almost reached the upper end and upon reaching the destination water was leaking. On inspection I felt that water has reversed back to the spare tank as it was almost full. An urgent response would be appreciated as I am compelled to get it fixed before Thursday - thanks and cheers.

NB: Car is Mitsubishi Colt 1987 Hatch - 1300CC

Hi guys, would appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on a reliable radiator worksop nearby to Kalubowila, Hill Street, Nedimala or Galle Rd (Dehiwela). Today after about a 20Km drive the Temp meter almost reached the upper end and upon reaching the destination water was leaking. On inspection I felt that water has reversed back to the spare tank as it was almost full. An urgent response would be appreciated as I am compelled to get it fixed before Thursday - thanks and cheers.

NB: Car is Mitsubishi Colt 1987 Hatch - 1300CC

Go to lional radiators at Panchikawathe main road. They will give you the best cost for a new radiator.

radiator

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Go to lional radiators at Panchikawathe main road. They will give you the best cost for a new radiator.

radiator

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you Sylvi.

Given the time constraints, I will look for a nearby place for the moment however will definitely note down Lional Radiators shoudl I have to replace a new one.

There's that place in Stratford avenue. Just opposite the road to gandhara, with a sunset orange disco 3 parked there all the time. They did a repair on my civic top tank and it lasted forever.

Thanks Komi for this nearby referral.

Unless I find any other nearer than this, will defa visit this place.

Cheers!

Ela. Let us know what happens, so we hae a record of whether the place did a good job.

Sure mate, will keep the thread updated ;)

If water came to researve tank and not went back to radiator, there is a high possibility of malfunctioning pressure cap. Just check that as well.

Hey MkX, thanks for this tip. Will check that too.