• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Eg8 Single Carb To Vtec Conversion

derickreaper

Hi All Members,

I was wondering if it is possible to convert a 1992 Honda Civic EG8 Single Carb to a Good Vtec engine ??? or any conversions possible to get a good fuel milage and power ?? if possible any recommended engines.....Please advice me with your thoughts and experiences,.....

post-55670-0-98015200-1392388930_thumb.j

post-55670-0-81863500-1392388997_thumb.j

Komi is correct........ but OP would not be getting both the expected economy and power of an EG8 because a local makabaas meddled up with the fuel delivery system (the carb and associated valves). Am I right?

There it is. You'd need 3 stage vtec for economy. 2 stage for power. I can't see whether the vtec solenoids are there or not in that photo.

But Kelum knows best. But the question is would you benefit from a good tune-up/maintenance more than an engine swap is gas mileage is your only goal? It's like spending money to save money no?

Like Rumesh said if someone has ruined the carb, it will drive like a tractor. Usually these D15B3 single carb motor gives 105BHP with 120 odd Nm of torque which is more than enough for daily running. Only issue is its a bit complicated carb with lot of vaccum lines and most makabases tends to block or bypass them. Its basically economy oriented setup . But you get a power valve which opens up an extra fuel passage in a sudden acceleration and it needs proper vaccum connection to work. So my advice is to check the condition of the existing carb and correct the simple ones like vaccum lines first. Im having similar setup in my car and most of the work including tuning done by myself at home thanks to the service manual and the great advices by Rumesh. So as Komi said rebuild the existing one properly and decide.

Like Rumesh said if someone has ruined the carb, it will drive like a tractor. Usually these D15B3 single carb motor gives 105BHP with 120 odd Nm of torque which is more than enough for daily running. Only issue is its a bit complicated carb with lot of vaccum lines and most makabases tends to block or bypass them. Its basically economy oriented setup . But you get a power valve which opens up an extra fuel passage in a sudden acceleration and it needs proper vaccum connection to work. So my advice is to check the condition of the existing carb and correct the simple ones like vaccum lines first. Im having similar setup in my car and most of the work including tuning done by myself at home thanks to the service manual and the great advices by Rumesh. So as Komi said rebuild the existing one properly and decide.

will check my carb and get a full diagnostic, H.C whats that alloy you got in ur car??? whats the sizseand where did you bought it??

will check my carb and get a full diagnostic, H.C whats that alloy you got in ur car??? whats the sizseand where did you bought it??
Its Advanti Racing ultra light monoblock alloys (refurbished) , , bought from Amila tyre , Dehiwala. They said its a Japanese one but not sure about it. It was originally silver and repainted with gun metal grey. They are 15 inch in size & running with Maxxis maz1 victra 195/50/15.

What about dham*ika fern*do at kotta rd & carburetor Ban*a at grandpas?? are the good for repairing and tuning of eg8 carbs?? guys need your advice??

I found a gr8 guy who lives in piliyandala called Mahesh (working @staffords)who works only on Honda and he does carbs I went there to get a quote for my cars engine tuneup and that place was like heaven.. Lots of eg's ek's..☺ drop me a pm I'll give the number..

Awesome! Do keep the forum posted on how you get on and the results.

and guys whats this EFI conversion i hear and i've seen you tube clips about it, and one of my fried said that his friend does efi conversions and he can do for my car too.. but i dont wanna messup my original car setting so i said no...

EFI stands for electronic fuel injection. An EFI conversion in the context of your engine is to take the carburettor off and transplant a electronic fuel injection system probably from a compatible engine (as it is very expensive to do a complete custom system).

Now whether you can do this easily or not depends on the way the EFI is integrated into your engine. If all you require is a new intake manifold, fuel rail, fuel pump, air intake, intake manifold, injectors, piping, wiring loom, ECU and associated electronics, you are doing pretty well. (thats more like a swap from an engine that has EFI). But its still quite a bit of work.

It becomes more complicated if you also need a new head as well.

Some simply switch to a new engine to save the hassle of conversion, but you would still need a new ECU, wiring loom and possibly air intake with a MAF sensor .....

• 3 months later...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="derickreaper" data-cid="257766" data-time="1393426840"><p>

I found a gr8 guy who lives in piliyandala called Mahesh (working @staffords)who works only on Honda and he does carbs I went there to get a quote for my cars engine tuneup and that place was like heaven.. Lots of eg's ek's..☺ drop me a pm I'll give the number..</p></blockquote>

Hi bro,

Can you pm mahesh nmuber ,adress and how much did it cost for tuneup??? I fedup of serching a good tuneup guy.. Still my eg8 does 7kmpl...

• 2 years later...

HI guys, long time no see...... So finally my lease is 1 month away from done and after 3 1/2 years of driving a carb I decided to do a complete vtec conversion...starting with a full paint job (blue to gunmetal), total body alignment, new jdm heads, depo tails, new dash, disk break conversion and finally a vtec engine.... So I have 3 engine choices, 3 stage d15b  vtec, b16a vtec, or stage 1 vtec.... Any comments and suggestions about the setup "????  Can someone recommend a place to buy an engine with the above specs I'm focusing on power than the mpg.. :)

• Like 1

Hello,

I am sorry I don’t know about sourcing an engine in SL.

I am sure you`ve done your research, but I am just adding my 2 cents worth. Think a little bit about ‘torque’ when building a Honda engine, as this makes a massive difference in day-to-day drivability.  A b18C for example, has got a longer stroke, therefore producing more lower end torque.  A b18 vtec head on a b20 block on the other hand, can be built to produce 200hp reliably and with enough torque to make it an extremely enjoyable drive.

The way I would approach is that I would do the research and list all the parts required, rather than just focusing sourcing an engine from somewhere. If you can find a complete kit that suits your requirements, that’s a bonus. But if you can`t find, you can always collect all the parts required over some time. It`s not too hard to put a Honda engine back together (i.e. rebuild), but the hard bit is to be patient and to source components that work well together.  Even if it takes an year or two, if you can build that engine right (together with proper engine management, preferably an LSD diff with matching transmission, matching header and exhaust) it will be worth the wait.  I know it all depends on the budget as well, but if you initially spend the money on the essentials (head, block, engine management) then other things can be added later on (exhaust, LSD, etc…)

I`ve driven only one properly built Honda in my life (a Civic Ek9, 2 door) so far, and the way that thing delivers power, grip around corners and the way the car rotates around (at corner entry and exit) is truly exhilarating. I don’t see why the same cannot be achieved with an EG8, good luck..!