• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Corolla Ke20 Modification

Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a KE 20 car and modify it with a engine swapping. (Hope to fix a turbo unit also). So i need some expertise ideas regarding this upgration.

Actually i like the shape of the car and its pretty cool look. It also a budget project.

So pls advise me with

x. A suitable powerful engine

x. A place where i can do the engine swap and other refurbishings.

x. Is it a good idea to proceed.

Thank You.

Try to find a two door coupe,massive fun even in stock guise.

1.34Exx should be pretty adequete.Any bigger and you'll have to strengthen chassis and upgrade most of the drivetrain,suspension...

A good garage can handle the swap.And Sacha can boost it out...Can be costly.Be very aware of what you're getting yourself in to.

You're the one who should decide if it's a good idea or not...It can be done....Just don't expect to sell it off for absurd prices like some deluded jap classic car owners out there...

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

The black and orange one?

What about a 4age? That's sacha's bread and butter as well so it should be monstrous.

I've read that most retro nuts in Malaysia swap out to an sr20det or ca18det because it's easier to maintain. 4age can be difficult. Lu.

All depends on your budget, patience and attention to detail.

Like md said, only you can decide whether it's a good idea. It's all hoo-ha at the onset but takes a lot out of you eventually to see it through. Why don't you give us a proposed breakdown if what your plans are for the various aspects? Then we can give you a better idea of how to approach/cost etc

Hmm...well most of these projects are projects from the heart so I don't know how anyone can assess if it is a good idea or not part from you.

May I ask why you want a turbo in it as opposed to keeping it as a nice clean stock example? or even a modest NA engine swap ?

Depending on what you decide to drop in the engine bay (engine and turbo wise) you may have to do some additional changes further down the drive train, suspension and brakes. So map out how far you would be willing to go.

On the modest side I have seen a KE20 with a 3TC engine and a bit more on the wild side there is a KE20 dragster with a 2JZ engine :)

EDIT: Link to the latter : http://www.sucksqueezebangblow.co/2012/02/drag-ke20-corolla.html

Edited by iRage

Agree with Rage.it all depends on how far you're willing to go...People here will suggest some very exotic engine swaps with high capacities cos it is not their car or money,hell i can even let you have a Chrysler V8 if you really wanna kill yourself...But you're the one who'll end up with an undrivable car IF you do not do proper upgrades and strenghthenings...As the saying goes, only bite off what you can chew...

• Like 2

The black and orange one?

What about a 4age? That's sacha's bread and butter as well so it should be monstrous.

I've read that most retro nuts in Malaysia swap out to an sr20det or ca18det because it's easier to maintain. 4age can be difficult. Lu.

All depends on your budget, patience and attention to detail.

Like md said, only you can decide whether it's a good idea. It's all hoo-ha at the onset but takes a lot out of you eventually to see it through. Why don't you give us a proposed breakdown if what your plans are for the various aspects? Then we can give you a better idea of how to approach/cost etc

4AGE is not actually sachas Bread and Butter, that would be the 4E-FTE, the starlet GTs 1.3 liter turbo motor. Since it was only set up in FWD cars, dunno whether it can be adapted to RWD but sacha would know for sure.

The 4AGE is the NA 1.6 16V/20V twin cam that's in the Trueno, Corolla/Carina GT , MR2 Mk1 etc.. Even the 4AGE CAN be turboed but it is quite a job.. for a KE20, even a decent stock 4AGE should do fine, especially the late black top 20V.

Edited by Supra_Natural

I'd go with a 4AGE too. It's been done everywhere and there're plenty of resources, documents, etc out there to make it happen. What will be hard is to track down a nice KE20/25 in decent condition. Coupes (KE25s?) are a bit rare. Either way, please keep us posted; I love vintage Corollas and restomods in general! :sport-smiley-004:

Hi Chathura, Welcome to the forum!

What exactly do you plan to do as modifications? Is it something retaining it's authenticity or out of the box? or god forbid, with bodykits. spoilers and a sound system?

If I'm not mistaken, the car in question never had turbos so you might want to look at swapping in a bigger engine that came for the car. You might find some helpful ideas on the thought process in this path if you look at "1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)" by Komisiripala.

There is another thread by Similarnames; Project Capri (The Second) where he is swapping in a 1JZ motor into a MK1 Capri. Which might help you get an idea of what you may be looking at.

Unfortunately, I'm not seasoned enough to recommend a place yet but there are many members here who have multiple restorations under their belts who might be able to point you in the right direction.

Is it a good idea? all depends on your perception of the whole thing. If you think you will enjoy doing it, then yes :)

Good luck and do keep the forum updated on your progress!

@ Hoonigan

here i need not only the outer look or the appearance of the car... I like it's classic look.. but at the same time i need a speedy car.

"with bodykits. spoilers and a sound system?"

Yes I need these .....

Apart from these i need some other modifications to engine....

Final outcome what i am hoping is a pretty decent well looking car, with comfort and good performance......

Do you know a exact place for this stuff.....

Can any one share a contact number pls......

You need a garage guy who really understands what you are aiming for to do this project right. Try Komis guys Indika or maybe Sabry at Raptor performance...

One thing you need to know though, to do this right you will need a pretty huge budget, by the time you sort everything out you will probably end up spending close to 1 Million on the project, probably more. So it's not going to be a "budget" project at all.

@ iRage

here i need not only the outer look or the appearance of the car... I like it's classic look.. but at the same time i need a speedy car.

This what i need ..

:) :)

Which takes me back to my original question,,,,why do you need a Turbo.

These KE20 things are small and light...you might be surprised with what you might gain by putting in just a slightly larger NA old school engine.Personally I would go with a old school engine like a 3T (also saves a lot of headaches of trying to wire up the EFI, do up the fuel pumps, etc...)

Seems like you are swaying your mind towards a 4A-GE presumably a 20v ? Would be an interesting and fun build :)

You are missing a gearbox (t50) and hydraulic clutch. Also search the web about FWD - RWD conversion of a 4A-GE...it is pretty straight forward. You will have to make custom engine and gearbox mounts (you might even have to do some panel work to house the gearbox..not sure). If you are doing a brake upgrade look in to a booster and M/C as well. So when you are making up the engine mounts etc give spacing for those some consideration too. Also, you might want a radiator upgrade.

In regards to suspension maybe something like a Celica A60 series or AE86 suspension setup might work ?

Places....well there are hardly any one shop fits all kind of places (one or two exist)

EDIT: Annoying word swaps !! Anyone else having the same problem when using an Android phone to post ?

Edited by iRage

@ Supra_Natural

Thanks....

As you mention the rough cost for this project is around 1 Million, i am just asking to know whether is it worthy (Out come) ? (worthy in the sense comfort and performance)

By the way i am having a mini cooper, 4 Sri xxxx one. I have swapped the engine 1000 cc metro. So all the breaks upgraded. (Front Disk). Newly painted

So i was just planning to sell that vehicle and go for the new project.

Is that good???

Do you think that if i will do all these stuff modifications and the upgradings to mini is worthy than going for the ke20 project????

BUT the Problem is it is very small (Mini)... I am little BIG :)

What you suggest???

Any others....?? { Selling mini and go for the new project .... or .... Do modifications to this mini }

@ Hoonigan

"with bodykits. spoilers and a sound system?"

Yes I need these .....

Apart from these i need some other modifications to engine....

Final outcome what i am hoping is a pretty decent well looking car, with comfort and good performance......

Keep them either subtle or period specific. This way you will retain the "classic look".

Do more research online and maybe show us at least the look you're going for.

I will echo what has been told, if you do it properly, it won't be a budget project.

Alternatives,

Rebuild the existing engine with maybe a slightly bigger bore and replace with better parts where possible.

Research and find what other modifications have been done to enhance performance of this particular model - suspension, brakes and intake wise

Being a small and light car, you will still end up with a quick car without breaking the bank.

BTW, I remember seeing a gentleman on that popular facebook page for classic cars, trying to flip a yellow KE20 (or KE25) for some time but not beeing able to. might be worth a call.

I could recomend you the garage that is doing my car but without seeing my car through, I cannot vouch for them. They do have a turbo intercooled box Lancer and multiple Land Rover modifications under their belt but mine is still too early to vouch for.

PM me your email address I'll send you a rough draft of what you need to be looking at.

Your question on whether it's worth it can't be answered by us. It's not our car, life or money as md rightfully pointed out. And what you can do with that car has nearly no limits, except of course, the budget.

BTW, I remember seeing a gentleman on that popular facebook page for classic cars, trying to flip a yellow KE20 (or KE25) for some time but not beeing able to. might be worth a call.

That yellow coupe seems like it is one of the few remaining "stock" clean examples around. If it is going to be a rebuild of the existing engine then maybe,but if it is a full out swap it might actually be a shame to see it happen to that car. If that car actually is as clean and stock as it looks in the pics...personally I would be sad to see it even get transformed to a full factory spec Levin (TE27).

@ Supra_Natural

Thanks....

As you mention the rough cost for this project is around 1 Million, i am just asking to know whether is it worthy (Out come) ? (worthy in the sense comfort and performance)

By the way i am having a mini cooper, 4 Sri xxxx one. I have swapped the engine 1000 cc metro. So all the breaks upgraded. (Front Disk). Newly painted

So i was just planning to sell that vehicle and go for the new project.

Is that good???

Do you think that if i will do all these stuff modifications and the upgradings to mini is worthy than going for the ke20 project????

BUT the Problem is it is very small (Mini)... I am little BIG :)

What you suggest???

Any others....?? { Selling mini and go for the new project .... or .... Do modifications to this mini }

The only person who can answer that question is you, my friend. If you want to know whether you will be able to sell the car at a massive profit after you do the work then its almost certain that you will not be able to, hell you probably won't even recover the cost....

If you want to do this build, do it because its something you really want to do (and can afford to do)... Don't do it in hopes of making money, that is not going to happen.

That yellow coupe seems like it is one of the few remaining "stock" clean examples around. If it is going to be a rebuild of the existing engine then maybe,but if it is a full out swap it might actually be a shame to see it happen to that car. If that car actually is as clean and stock as it looks in the pics...personally I would be sad to see it even get transformed to a full factory spec Levin (TE27).

That's true. If I remember right, the car was with it's first owner up until very recently. The second owner who was also a frequent on that page picked it up only had it for a matter of weeks I think before the current owner bought it off him. The fact that the current owner only had it for a few months only and is having trouble selling it, can be evidence of one of those over-the-top asking prices which are all too frequent nowadays. Nevertheless, that does look like a neat little specimen.

I remember seeing another KE20 in my bike garage. It was barely more than just a body shell but might do just about perfect for complete redo. If OP is interested, I can PM the number of the guy,

• Like 1

That's true. If I remember right, the car was with it's first owner up until very recently. The second owner who was also a frequent on that page picked it up only had it for a matter of weeks I think before the current owner bought it off him. The fact that the current owner only had it for a few months only and is having trouble selling it, can be evidence of one of those over-the-top asking prices which are all too frequent nowadays. Nevertheless, that does look like a neat little specimen.

I remember seeing another KE20 in my bike garage. It was barely more than just a body shell but might do just about perfect for complete redo. If OP is interested, I can PM the number of the guy,

I believe the first owner of that KE20 sold it for a song (closer to 100k than 200k) to the kid who bought it, he flipped it to the guy who currently has it at a tidy profit and now that chap is trying to make a massive margin on the car and failing as evidenced by the steadily dropping price.

That page has its plus points but the sheer number of people looking to make a quick buck is very unfortunate and drags down the overall quality of the page.

I believe the first owner of that KE20 sold it for a song (closer to 100k than 200k) to the kid who bought it, he flipped it to the guy who currently has it at a tidy profit and now that chap is trying to make a massive margin on the car and failing as evidenced by the steadily dropping price.

That page has its plus points but the sheer number of people looking to make a quick buck is very unfortunate and drags down the overall quality of the page.

I guess it didn't take long to attract the wrong crowd :(