• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Little Project - Bmw E30

MkX

@esdeez were you in E34 .. I have faded memory looking at another beemer or a merc at NTB.

@Alfisti there must be many shots of this car roaming around the net I guess :)

This pic shows some possible corrosion in the cluster. What you think guys. should try to bypass this area with some wires or try to solder these lines again? Anyway I will check the both ends for continuity with a multimeter before any attempt.

12459311524_bda8debc12_o.jpg

@esdeez were you in E34 .. I have faded memory looking at another beemer or a merc at NTB.

This pic shows some possible corrosion in the cluster. What you think guys. should try to bypass this area with some wires or try to solder these lines again? Anyway I will check the both ends for continuity with a multimeter before any attempt.

Nope, was in the white company Mazda, I was Nimal's transport back to office after he parted with the E30 :)

Car is looking good, making me miss my old touring. :/

Before you do any work on the board, I suggest you check if the trace is really damaged. By the looks of it, I think it's just the white protective paint coming off.

If the circuit is damaged, I'd prefer soldering the lines again. You can sand down the white paint using a fine grit sandpaper and then try etching the trace using Lead. This way you can re-paint the surface (in white, as it is now) so that it doesn't look like someone has messed with the board.

You may also want to do a bit of searching on eBay for "Conductive Pens" which are specifically available for PCB trace repair. This is much less difficult than trying to etch the trace using a soldering iron and Lead.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Got it.. Davy. Did I mention that this is an extra cluster I got. Today I spoke with one of my friend who is specializing on iPhone repairs. He has equipments it seems & asked my to bring the circuit board in a free time.

Gathering missing pieces. Got this windscreen washer pump. Previous one wasn't working.

12479086653_199cd3f2cd.jpg

12459311524_bda8debc12_o.jpg

If your attempt fails, I might be able to sort you out with a replacement cluster... Let me know. The pic says it's a VDO, does it have the RPM ?

Cheers and all the best with the restoration..

Edited by Bugatti

Well it's originally came with the clock. However this cluster has RPM meter fixed.

Today when the distributor cover opened I noticed there is a broken sensor. There were two wires coming under the throttle body one is crank position sensor, other wire goes to 4th spark plug wire near the distributor. This is kind of a pulse sensor. It's just a wire ended as coil around the spark plug wire. And it's broken. What is this wire and what it does? The mech said it's for the RPM meter, but I doubt it because RPM meter gets the same reading from crank position sensor.

What could be this sensor/coil?

EDIT : Is there a cam position sensor? Because Every time 4th spark plug ignites a this sensor will generate a signal.

Edited by MkX

If your attempt fails, I might be able to sort you out with a replacement cluster... Let me know. The pic says it's a VDO, does it have the RPM ?

Cheers and all the best with the restoration..

Today removed the cluster and did soldering for all contacts. removed both fuel and temp gauges cleaned grounding contacts, also cleaned the grounding point for cluster which is under to glove box. But not luck. Every thing is same.

The cluster ground point.

12555864735_d835682742.jpg

Once I mistakenly short circuit two pins in blue connector (right hand side) fuel gauge showed the correct position.

I did it again for left hand side connectors. My left hand side turn signal indicator also didn't work. However hand break light started to blink according with left turn indicator. Do you think it's some thing to do with lose connections?

• 1 month later...

Guys I need to find a completely working cluster. Either it could be an issue with my cluster or a problem with wiring. Or could be both. So decided to go for entire cluster. Anyone knows where I can find one is SL?

Edited by MkX

• 5 years later...