• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Little Project - Bmw E30

MkX

It’s been a while I was thinking of getting a BMW E36. But finally I end up getting an E30. The car has not been abused, but it has accumulated work over the period that needs attention. My intention is to gather up all missing bits and pieces together and build the car back to its original glory.

This might not be a big project comparing to some ground up projects and restores. But all help and suggestions are welcome.

Here are the things I will have to attend immediately.

1. Complete restore of the instrument cluster. Meters worked for few days after me getting the car, except for the Odometer. However stopped working due to a shudder while I was reversing the car.
  2. Coolant leak occurred last week. It’s coming from the water pump. Will be taking it out at the local garage.
  3. AC fan seems working even at “0” position. And the AC switch is broken so it’s in the on position all the time.
  4. There are small works remaining in rest of the car. For example broken winders, shaky door looks, some interior parts, and a good paint job.

Until I update few pics in the evening thought of updating the story so far.

I went on searching E30s for about 4, 5 months. Checked almost every advertised E30. Search went from Maharagama to Matale and Mount Lv to Ambilipitiya. Finally I got this which had least amount of body work. Paint is still original in some places so it’s faded with the time.

However I came across another car which had sunroof, all disk brakes, ABS and roof mounted engine check control panel. However car was very badly treated. It needed full wiring done, newly painted with very lowest quality of work and petrol pump is nearing its end of the life, cracked dash, etc. Owner quoted 1M for the car. IMO it would take another 0.5M to bring it back to good condition. So I had to move. Then this car came out of the blue. This car in other hand had no body corrosion, just a bit under the battery. However it does not carrying any service history. The owner claimed it was personally maintained and not been to any reputed places last so many years.

My biggest moment was when I took my father on shopping. He is been always criticizing my choices and these are exact words came “Meka shok car eka.. tika tika hadala ganna” and those words came from a person who gone through left hand to right hand drive conversion in his VW beetle and who had to push his Bug Fiat in his Honeymoon trip with newly wedded bride.

Enough the story.. coming back to the car, its mainly in stock condition except for wheels which are original “MB Racing” wheels, K&N air filter and lowered suspension. Car handles really well in bends in the Kandy – Colombo road. My first drive took only 2.5 hrs without pushing the car too much, because it negotiates with those bends really well. However I might move back to original springs because Its too low for my road near the home. And I hear a noice coming from left side front wheel, a noice that tyre or something rubbing. Most probably the tyre rubs the wheel arch.

• Like 1

Paint is similar to Navy blue. Its a solid paint, it shines really but needs a a respray. Haven't thought about paint yet. Needs sort out engine issues and cluster panel.

12436231813_3febc1ab4f_o.jpg

Here its coming after quick ride to Nuwara-Eliya. You can see the fuel door is open. The fuel door lock operates with the central locking system. If I don't lock the doors It will kept open. Here you can see how much it's lowered. However there is small height difference in left and right hand sides.

Here is the additional cluster I got, all meters removed contacts cleaned. Need to solder the all contacts before put things together. Also planning to order odo meter gear set from ebay.

12436827694_d1e1ee9cef_z.jpg

Edited by MkX

Paint is similar to Navy blue. Its a solid paint, it shines really but needs a a respray. Haven't thought about paint yet. Needs sort out engine issues and cluster panel.
1.6 ltr i see, from the looks of it even a good cut& polish will bring back. not sure about the rear suspension though

Actually the "i" has fallen off. Its 316i with EFI engine. Water pump will be taking off this saturday.Then only I can figure out it need total replacement or not. What are the OEM brands for these engine parts? These are available in ebay as well.

Edit : @simplelife, yes took it to pinnacle coule of times :)

Edited by MkX

I had no idea it was THIS E30! That is a good car, was driven as BMW intended for most of it's life and was mechanically taken care of. Cosmetics are another story of course.... Good to see this go to an AL member, best of luck man!

I had no idea it was THIS E30! That is a good car, was driven as BMW intended for most of it's life and was mechanically taken care of. Cosmetics are another story of course.... Good to see this go to an AL member, best of luck man!

Thanks SN.. Yep it was well driven indeed. And I didn't bothered too much about not having any service records, because the Gentlemen who owned it wanted space to park his new Alfa and Defender. And he quoted a reasonable price, exactly what I had in my mind too. After a quick word he reduced one hundred thousand for the remaining work.

Edited by MkX

Ah Nimal's old car is in good hands then! Hoping to see more updates from you!

Also since you use Flickr for your images, right click on the image, select copy image and just paste in the text box here! Would make it easier for us to check out your pics through the thread itself! :D

Good Luck :)

12436827694_d1e1ee9cef_s.jpg

Thanks OH for the old pics. The cluster panel taken out and cleaned. The circuit board has little damge in the bottom. And some corrosion is there. Need to check if the current still passes through those lines. If not my plan is to solder a small copper wire to bypass the corroded area. Don't know if it will work. But wanna try and see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/citizen1/12436827694/

Edited by MkX

Oh wow, didn't realise you were on AL. I believe we met briefly whilst the car was handed over to you, at NTB. Glad to see a thread on this car, it became somewhat of an identifying mark of the previous owner, hehe. Welcome to life of BMW ownership :)

• Like 2