• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Do You Put The Handbrake On When In P?

sampathapg

Question

Good to see you around ... :D

AFAIK in UK its illegal to use foot brakes to hold the vehicle in stationary queues of traffic, It's mandatory to use parking brake.

I believe this is the case cos ...if you are with your foot on the brake and there is a rear end collision, and your car is on N, there is a chance for your leg to slip off the brake and result in a collision with the car in front !

Edited by milano340

When you park, the best practice I'd say is to first select 'N", and then apply parking brake, release the foot brake for a second so that the wheels get locked with the parking brake, and then press the foot brake again and shift to 'P'

This way, the weight of the vehicle is off the gear box when you park.

Have you seen, if you just shift to P and then leave the car (with or without parking brake) the car rocks forward and backwards a few cm before settling down. This is not good for the gearbox in the long run if I'm not mistaken.

I have to agree with this. First select "N" apply hand brake and shift to "P". Yesterday I put my 121 directly to "P" and stopped the engine. Today morning the gear changing knob was very stiff. Car was in not in leveled ground. Once I start the engine and released the gear position car moved 1,2cm back even with hand brake on. All that that time the weight was on the gear box.

I had a reason to apply hand-break while gear shift on 'P'. Had a Ford Explorer and if i just put gear shift on 'P' on a down hill / up hill it rolls as it slips the gears on 'P'. (If you stay inside a while you will feel the gear slipping while on 'P'. So had to apply hand-break (in Ford Explorer its kind of foot-break - where the parking break should be apply by your foot).. I guess it would be expensive to fix the gear slipping issue on 'P' as i might had to change the whole gear box.. So hand-break would be the cheaper option.. :smilie_liebe9:

So if you don't know if this kind of issue could happen its safer to apply hand break while your gear shift on "P".

But how about towing scenario. Suppose you have a FWD vehicle and you apply only gear shift on "P". If they tow your car from front you will not have much damage right.? :sport-smiley-004:

KMeeg..

According to best driving practises, when you want to park the car while the the foot is on the break you shift the gear to park and the apply the hand break. When stopped at a trafic light for a long period then while the foot is on the break shift the geaf to neutral and then apply thd hand break the foot can now be taken out of the break peddle. This is what is instructed by the driver trainers in Dubai. Hope there are no typo this time.

Friends,

Internationally accepted method for parking is,

1. shift the gear to N position white footing to brake peddle
  2. Apply parking brake (so called hand brake)
  3. Release the foot brake
  4. Peddle the break again
  5. Shift the gear to P

This is a must in parking a vehicle either in a flat floor or a slope. Otherwise the Driving test result will fail. All these tiny movements & steps are observed in a half an hour driving trial in most developed countries.

• Like 1

Friends,

Internationally accepted method for parking is,

1. shift the gear to N position white footing to brake peddle
  2. Apply parking brake (so called hand brake)
  3. Release the foot brake
  4. Peddle the break again
  5. Shift the gear to P

This is a must in parking a vehicle either in a flat floor or a slope. Otherwise the Driving test result will fail. All these tiny movements & steps are observed in a half an hour driving trial in most developed countries.

Wow.. This is the 1st time i heard these steps. It would be great if you could share the source of these steps. Below is what i've seen in DMV Drivers Manual;

hyq1.png

Rgs,

KMeeg..

oookay, why did this get a thumbs down? :P

Because.......it's Sylvi!!!! :) Sense or no sense any posting from Sylvi gets marked down! :D