• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Tires

Archfiend

Greetings All,

Is there any restrictions in importing tires via ebay to Sri Lanka. Have anyone tried this? Is importing 4 tires worth the hassle?

Because of the tire prices these days I got in to ebay and found a good deal from a seller.

Appreciate your responses in advance.

Thanks,

Archfiend

I'm in the process of importing a set myself and I have been told that there are multiple restrictions on importing rubber products to Sri Lanka and a huge amount of tax imposed. So just importing them might not even be possible to begin with.

I'm using the Kapruka service to import the set bought from Amazon due to the following reasons.

1. They deal with customs.

2. Neglegable amount of shipping fees ($15 if I remember right)

3. Overall price after everything is quite low

4. They quote you the ultimate price beforehand inclusive of all charges/fees/taxes.

The not so appealing side

1. They are an extremely uncoordinated bunch and no one seems to know what is going on and service is very very poor. Not picking up phones, endless transfers and no email responses.

2. It takes a long time. I placed my oder with around 50% deposit on the 27th November. They gave a delivery date in first week of Jan then extended it to end of Jan and now have told me it will be middle of Feb. So I don't have complete information on how this is going to play out.

The import issues for tyres were discussed a bit more in the thread "Project Capri". You can find it if you search the forum if you need.

Not a good idea unless it's a VERY rare size.they tax rubber products heavily.I imported two sets of 19" tyres last month and the tried to tax me a whopping 70%.Finally I was able to prove to the officer that they were for an unusual car and the tyres were not available locally...so they reduced it to abt 6%.

Better to buy locally.If it's a rare size A*W and Autrodrome take special orders and bring them down for you.Will be a bit on the expensive side but atleast you're sure get the real thing.

Not a good idea unless it's a VERY rare size.they tax rubber products heavily.I imported two sets of 19" tyres last month and the tried to tax me a whopping 70%.Finally I was able to prove to the officer that they were for an unusual car and the tyres were not available locally...so they reduced it to abt 6%.

Better to buy locally.If it's a rare size A*W and Autrodrome take special orders and bring them down for you.Will be a bit on the expensive side but atleast you're sure get the real thing.

70% to 6%! You drove one hell of a bargain. And 19"s...which car did they go on if you don't mind me asking?

Members,

All depends on the officer at the counter. For duty levy. I do import plenty of my requirements by air and sea freight.

First of all contact the officers at the clearing center. Every thing can be solved without any problem.

With minimum duty.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hey Buddy I guess you don't know about the Kapruka Business quite well. I myself was going to bring a Carburettor for my Cortina back then and I came across this Thread on elakiri.com

http://www.elakiri.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1574384&page=15

elakiri isn't exactly a quotable site to begin with. and yes, I did come across it before I placed the order. And I have heard stories where they have lost their shipments. And clearly they do complete most transactions (judging by the fact their office is intact to date). Given the circumstances, I didn't have that many options and decided to take a small risk. I wasn't in a hurry and worst case, i will get a refund and have to source a different size.

elakiri isn't exactly a quotable site to begin with. and yes, I did come across it before I placed the order. And I have heard stories where they have lost their shipments. And clearly they do complete most transactions (judging by the fact their office is intact to date). Given the circumstances, I didn't have that many options and decided to take a small risk. I wasn't in a hurry and worst case, i will get a refund and have to source a different size.

Cool, just giving you a heads up.

Members,

There are many exporters for small orders very honorable. Have to do research before ordering. because they want the payment before shipment.

I always pay for freight in SL to a reputed shipper like UPS, FEDEX, AREMEX.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.