• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Place To Buy Coal

Ripper

Does anybody know where to buy coal from?

The type used in furnaces, steam trains etc not the charcoal variety that goes in grills n stuff.

Ripper,

This was available in Pettah shops some time back. I don't think now it is available.

CGR is the only place to try. Do you want a large quantity.

Can you use Coconut cell burnt and processed black stuff. I buy for my large fish tank to use as a water filter.

Above is still used by linen wash men laundries for ironing cloth.

I had a furnace which early my late father use to heat with charcoal. It was given free to a blacksmith for his Iron bending requirement.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Sylvi for the response.

I'm looking at coal for some blacksmith work.

In the process of making a fire pit with an electric blower

And I've been told coal is the best

So if I could get like a 50kg bag i would be happy.

I've been told due to costs blacksmiths use coconut shell charcoal

• Like 1

Thanks Sylvi for the response. I'm looking at coal for some blacksmith work. In the process of making a fire pit with an electric blower And I've been told coal is the best So if I could get like a 50kg bag i would be happy. I've been told due to costs blacksmiths use coconut shell charcoal

try at leading supermarkets, i dont think there are 50kg bags but you could find large packs used for BBQ

Thanks Sylvi for the response. I'm looking at coal for some blacksmith work. In the process of making a fire pit with an electric blower And I've been told coal is the best So if I could get like a 50kg bag i would be happy. I've been told due to costs blacksmiths use coconut shell charcoal

Ripper,

Coconut shell charcoal, can add little Oxygen from a cylinder. Which will give more temperature for melting.

To my knowledge this is not used by any one in SL today. Most people who do casting use LP Gas blowers or Diesel injected with a air blower.

Once I tried out LPG on a Bread making Fire brick oven about 30 years ago in Colombo, for a leading bakery. The cost was about 20% more than fire wood.

If you are in Colombo I have my Oxygen cylinder can give you for few days to use. Please don't hesitate to contact me.

I used to do castings during my Automobile Electric work shop time. To cast Aluminum for Simcar Starter motor Brush holder end plates.

As well as for bronze bush rods to turn out Bushes for them.

This was done by a very experienced person who worked with my late father. He lived for 80 years till end of his life, he used to do castings.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Xxx

Heh heh. Nothing major machang. My little diy steel work stuff is getting limited without a way to heat metal effectively to high temps.

So gonna build myself a brake drum furnace lit by coal. I got a big centrifugal blower with me do can use that to aerate.

Building a barrel bbq that can be taken apart for transporting and also a pit barrel smoker type smoker unit.

Both will look better if I can bend and deform metal.

I got a barrel grill made by a welding shop but aesthetics are poor.

Sylvi

Thanks again. I dint intend to melt metal. At least not right now. Need to get metal heated enough to bend, shape on an anvil. Need to get an anvil too :)

Not too hot on gas bottles due to safety concerns. My workspace is quite tight. Got a very curious 5yo son and two Rottweilers who can run through virtually anything.

If I get a gas bottle it'll only be co2 or argon to run the future mig machine I intend on getting

I assumed coal will be available in SL cos we do have a running steam train still and one coal fired power plant.

Will keep on looking.

Thank u all for replies

Ripper, you remind me of my childhood when I used to do this sort of things. I used to have the same set up with a hand operated leather bellow. Sylvi is right. You can very well bring steel to its melting point even with coconut shell charcoal. However, still if you need real coal you can buy it from Quarry Road, Colombo 12 (Galwala) from a place called Lanka Brass at a rate of Rs. 125.00 per kilo but it comes in 25kg and 50kg bags. You need to collect it from their stores then. If you cannot locate the shop you can ask from nearby "Dedigama &Co., 57, Quarry Rd" (It is they who told me too). They will direct you to the above shop.

Does anybody know where to buy coal from?

The type used in furnaces, steam trains etc not the charcoal variety that goes in grills n stuff.

Try the Norachcholai area ought to get it very cheap there. ;)

Thanks rumesh. Much appreciated :)

Shall pay a visit and see.

Not at all experienced in this but I read coal is the best as it stays for longer than coconut she'll charcoal. Also gives higher temps with enough aeration.

Thanks rumesh. Much appreciated :)

Shall pay a visit and see.

Not at all experienced in this but I read coal is the best as it stays for longer than coconut she'll charcoal. Also gives higher temps with enough aeration.

You are most welcome. In fact the choice between coal and coconut shell charcoal depends on the size of the work piece. If it is more than 1cm solid cross section and longer than 10cm then coal is better.

Ripper, you remind me of my childhood when I used to do this sort of things. I used to have the same set up with a hand operated leather bellow. Sylvi is right. You can very well bring steel to its melting point even with coconut shell charcoal. However, still if you need real coal you can buy it from Quarry Road, Colombo 12 (Galwala) from a place called Lanka Brass at a rate of Rs. 125.00 per kilo but it comes in 25kg and 50kg bags. You need to collect it from their stores then. If you cannot locate the shop you can ask from nearby "Dedigama &Co., 57, Quarry Rd" (It is they who told me too). They will direct you to the above shop.

Ripper,

I know the said shops very well. I have dealings with them. I did not know they deal with Charcoal. Will get more information on Monday.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Ripper,

I know the said shops very well. I have dealings with them. I did not know they deal with Charcoal. Will get more information on Monday.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Lanka Brass seems to be a supplier of foundry items.

chances are they'll have coal :) and other foundry related stuff too...

Ripper,

There is a place (but I forgot the name) at Srimath Bandaranake Mawatha, Colombo 12.

Very close to the girls' school situated there.

Try with this place.

LLoyds,Steel,

147 Bandaranayake Mawatha, Colombo 12.

Hotline: 011-4991400

011-2328203 , 2470206

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Ripper,

Try with this place.

LLoyds,Steel,

147 Bandaranayake Mawatha, Colombo 12.

Hotline: 011-4991400

011-2328203 , 2470206

Sampath and Ripper,

When I tried at Quarry Road (GAL WALA).

I was send to the place Sampath had informed. They have the cost is around 100.00 to 125.00 Rupees. Depending on the buyer's quantity.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sampath and Ripper,

When I tried at Quarry Road (GAL WALA).

I was send to the place Sampath had informed. They have the cost is around 100.00 to 125.00 Rupees. Depending on the buyer's quantity.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

thanks sylvi...gotta wait till the weekend to go that side. i should be ok with about 20kg for the moment :)

Xxx

Heh heh. Nothing major machang. My little diy steel work stuff is getting limited without a way to heat metal effectively to high temps.

So gonna build myself a brake drum furnace lit by coal. I got a big centrifugal blower with me do can use that to aerate.

Building a barrel bbq that can be taken apart for transporting and also a pit barrel smoker type smoker unit.

Both will look better if I can bend and deform metal.

I got a barrel grill made by a welding shop but aesthetics are poor.

You and your quest for build the perfect meat roasting machine makes us fellow meat lovers look like vegans lol.

Try the Norachcholai area ought to get it very cheap there. ;)

Good point. You may get a special discount on the days that dam things broken which is prety much every day lol.

You and your quest for build the perfect meat roasting machine makes us fellow meat lovers look like vegans lol.

heh heh...

progress stalled since my chop saw packed up. commutator in the motor was damaged with brush debris i think and it has busted a coil pack.

so hunting for a new armature these days..

if that aint working it's a rewound...

joys of diy :)