• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Headlights On At Daytime

coolcar

And in fact I've noticed that quite a few bikes don't have a headlight on/off switch either. Just a high/low beam switch. I have overridden it with an additional on/of switch, cos I don't wanna strain the battery when cold starting.

You're right machan, I don't think any new non-indian bike has a On/Off switch for the headlight. Mostly because the markets they are built for has regulations in place to have the low beams on at all times.

I don't have a switch to turn off the low beams either but mine turns on when the key is turned and cuts off when the starter button is pressed and the starter motor starts working. Then it stays on as long as the key is in. Not sure why you need a bypass?

You're right machan, I don't think any new non-indian bike has a On/Off switch for the headlight. Mostly because the markets they are built for has regulations in place to have the low beams on at all times.

I don't have a switch to turn off the low beams either but mine turns on when the key is turned and cuts off when the starter button is pressed and the starter motor starts working. Then it stays on as long as the key is in. Not sure why you need a bypass?

Hoonigan,

Please send me a Email how I can contact you. If you want that to be fitted.

I WILL GIVE ADVICE HOW TO DO SAME, fixed on to your vehicle free of charge.

With minimum cost.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hoonigan,

Please send me a Email how I can contact you. If you want that to be fitted.

I WILL GIVE ADVICE HOW TO DO SAME, fixed on to your vehicle free of charge.

With minimum cost.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Sylvi,

I believe you misunderstood my post. I was merely wondering why Watchman needed a bypass switch to turn the low beam off, as my bike automatically cuts off the headlight when the starter motor is engaged. I assumed that there is a similar set up on his bike.

Thank you for the offer but I never felt the need to bypass the headlight circuit.

Mr. Sylvi,

I believe you misunderstood my post. I was merely wondering why Watchman needed a bypass switch to turn the low beam off, as my bike automatically cuts off the headlight when the starter motor is engaged. I assumed that there is a similar set up on his bike.

Thank you for the offer but I never felt the need to bypass the headlight circuit.

Members and Hoonigan,

Since S/L this was a rule thing for M/B. I have seen in out of Colombo , most Motor cyclists use this light during the day.

Never seen Motor cars unless they want to warn That Police are armed speed guns. To nab the driver's Driving over the specified Speed Limit.

Only flash once or twice for in coming Vehicles.

I was stoped by Police once for the reason to find out the reason I flash lights.

I was smart to say, that was a friend of mine was driving in his vehicle to other side.

I was driving my friends Vehicle. So that he will look at other side. T find out who is on the driving seat.

Hoonigan,

Answer to your post is he is only a watcher, Not qualified to give advice on technical matters.

I am a born as a blue color worker. Try to help A/L members whatever the way I can.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hoonigan,

Answer to your post is he is only a watcher, Not qualified to give advice on technical matters.

I am a born as a blue color worker. Try to help A/L members whatever the way I can.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Sylvi,

With all due respect, I was asking for Watchman's opinion biker to biker. And I believe he is more competent around a bike than I am so his opinion has validity, at least for me.

Mr. Sylvi,

With all due respect, I was asking for Watchman's opinion biker to biker. And I believe he is more competent around a bike than I am so his opinion has validity, at least for me.

Hoonigan,

I do not know your first name. I hope you will understand.

One reason I use Sylvi is my Christian name is Sylvester. Because internationally I am known as Sylvi.

Therefore I use Sylvi, on all forums on the internet.

Please you will pardon me addressing you as "Hoonigan"

Opinions differ from person to person. It is left to you to decide.

Thank you for your reply post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Sylvi,

Well, in my case, the headlight doesn't go off, when the starter motor engages. And when you need more than just a few turns for the engine to get going, every amp saved matters. So I decided to install a bypass switch so that I can turn off the lights when starting up, and turn them once running.

This is a 12 year old bike. It might be a different story on current/newer DRZs. On my XR too (which is even older), the headlight doesn't go off, but there IS a stock on/off switch.

OT:

The DRZ being more a weekend bike it doesnt get used that frequently, and in the last couple of months I hadn't been riding it much, and cold-starting was a bitch. Thrice I was cranking the thing till the battery went flat. In the end I said that's enough and sent it to the bike shop. Apparently there's no compression build-up. Suspected cause; the last time the plug was changed (under my ownership), the wrong spec plug was used. Apparently the spark was too hot and over the months messed up the valves. I didn't know bikes had heat-specs for the plug. I sure learnt an expensive lesson on spark-plugs. Then again, what do I know, i'm just a watcher..

Edited by Watchman

Well, in my case, the headlight doesn't go off, when the starter motor engages. And when you need more than just a few turns for the engine to get going, every amp saved matters. So I decided to install a bypass switch so that I can turn off the lights when starting up, and turn them once running.

This is a 12 year old bike. It might be a different story on current/newer DRZs. On my XR too (which is even older), the headlight doesn't go off, but there IS a stock on/off switch.

OT:

The DRZ being more a weekend bike it doesnt get used that frequently, and in the last couple of months I hadn't been riding it much, and cold-starting was a bitch. Thrice I was cranking the thing till the battery went flat. In the end I said that's enough and sent it to the bike shop. Apparently there's no compression build-up. Suspected cause; the last time the plug was changed (under my ownership), the wrong spec plug was used. Apparently the spark was too hot and over the months messed up the valves. I didn't know bikes had heat-specs for the plug. I sure learnt an expensive lesson on spark-plugs. Then again, what do I know, i'm just a watcher..

In that case I see why you need a switch. Mine doesn't take a lot of effort to start when in use but now that it sits away for months on end it takes a lot of effort to start it for the first time.

That's a nasty lesson to learn. How bad is the damage on the valves? Where can I find the right rating for my specific bike?

The reason for this is because once their battery is down they do not bother to replace for the bike can be started and run (Not applicable to self-start though). They seem to think that it only results in flickering lights at low RPM but they are wrong. Without the battery what happens is that the charging system goes out of balance and the excess power ends up in a load resistor. The load resistor is not rated to dissipate this additional power and after sometime it burns up. Then the system voltage goes up particularly during the day and the brake light and the tail light fails. Headlight is not affected to the same extent for it provides somewhat a higher load load sufficient to bring the system voltage down. This is why as you say you do not see tail lights and even brake lights in a majority of bikes.

Thanks for the detailed explanation mate. Really informative.