• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Digital Camera Photography

Magnum

Live demo on bypassing slow shutter speed with a speed light.. This video was created for a friend who wanted to learn this technique on another forum. Hope this will find use full to you. .

Q - So how this can be used in the subject of vehicles? A - How about a night time race event where the shutter speed will be very slow and you can use a speedlight (Flash) without distracting the competitors..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCVkS64q1Ng

So it's been almost a year since I picked up a DSLR. And I haven't shot as half as many shots as I told myself while convincing myself of the purchase :)

Below are the two pictures that I have been the most happiest with so far. What do you guys think? The camera is a Canon 60D and both these were shot with the 18-200mm standard lens. Editing was exclusively on Lightroom.

_MG_1719_zps6f0a1ca6.jpg_MG_3232_zps98615da1.jpg

• Like 1

So it's been almost a year since I picked up a DSLR. And I haven't shot as half as many shots as I told myself while convincing myself of the purchase :)

Below are the two pictures that I have been the most happiest with so far. What do you guys think? The camera is a Canon 60D and both these were shot with the 18-200mm standard lens. Editing was exclusively on Lightroom.

Damn.. First of all congrats for having the 60D. The price you paid will be well worth when shooting low light conditions like birthday parties and stuff indoors.

To my taste pic 1 looks very nice. Nice composition to my taste.. Pic 2 look very artistic with the glare from the sun. I believe these kind of sun glare can be taken only with standard lenses and i guess the "L" grade lenses reduce glare from sun. Really like to see more pics from the place in pic2. Sound like super fun in sand..

Hope if Peri can comment on this. I guess he has lot of photography knowledge.

• Like 1

Insurance -

Its a little different here machan. I don't know much details but some of the main points are;

1. Insurance are issued to a driver for a particular car identified by the VIN number. (Unlike in SL i cannot just give my car to a friend to use it without adding them to my insurance).
  2. Out of pocket amount - This is the amount we have to pay from our pocket if we claim insurance. This can range from like $500, $1000, etc.. But when you have extended warranty & maintenance plans typically this out of pocket amount is covered by the manufacturer (in this case Toyota).
  3. Discounts given for having multiple cars & home insurance from same insurance company.
  4. Max limit for liabilities and some other factors like Bodily injury per person and per occurrence, Property damage, Road side service, Rental reimbursement, blah blah blah.... (Eg- if your limit is $100K and you hit a Bugatti Veron the insurance company will pay $100K and the rest you pay with your salary for the rest of your life.. :speechless-smiley-004:) Anyways i have limited idea about these things and i might be wrong on this point.
  5. Discounts given for not having tickets and clean driving history.
  6. Number of drivers in the same policy. And their driving history. (Eg - when i add my wife as a second driver to this car it increase the premium a little)

Photography -

This is a 2014 Toyota Venza. Will put some pics sometime. And you are correct. This pic was taken with a slow shutter speed of 3 seconds. Tripod was mounted on rear passenger seat. Below are the settings i used if anyone want to try this..

• Equipment used - Nikon D5100 with 24 - 85mm lens mounted on Manfrotto BeFree tropod (reason to use this tripod for this one is; the camera has to be steady while the car is moving. Otherwise inside will be blury). I could have tied the tripod to something to get more steady.
  • Focal length - 24MM
  • Aperture - F 22
  • ISO - 100
  • Shutter speed - 3 Seconds

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasunmeegahapola/

KMeeg.

Still one dude thinks owning a car in a foreign country is easier :D

_MG_1719_zps6f0a1ca6.jpg_MG_3232_zps98615da1.jpg

That pic you posted of this Wrangler taken from behind was nice

Ya that guy is in a total dream world.. :speechless-smiley-004:

Life won't be that easy if some one plan to work in a supermarket. On top of that buying a Nissan GTR. First thing is its not that easy to even find a super market job when you are new to the country. On top of that you don''t get 8 hours. So you have to do at least 2 jobs to survive even with a shared room. And it could get even worse where you live. If talking about cars your insurance going to be sky high when your driving licence is new and it get worse buying a sports car as your first car.

But if someone get a work visa life is not going to be that tough. Specially in the field of IT you get a fairly good pay. But what ever job you do you have to pay a higher insurance at the start since your license is new. (for eg Insurance for a $ 9K used 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander could cost about $175/month for a new licensed driver)

Finally all i want to tell is i didn't mean to discourage anyone. Everything is possible with better planning. But don't come thinking everything is easy from the start. Also it all depends on the field.

KMeeg.

• Like 1

Damn.. First of all congrats for having the 60D. The price you paid will be well worth when shooting low light conditions like birthday parties and stuff indoors.

To my taste pic 1 looks very nice. Nice composition to my taste.. Pic 2 look very artistic with the glare from the sun. I believe these kind of sun glare can be taken only with standard lenses and i guess the "L" grade lenses reduce glare from sun. Really like to see more pics from the place in pic2. Sound like super fun in sand..

Hope if Peri can comment on this. I guess he has lot of photography knowledge.

Thanks mate :) That trail was one of the better trips I had off road. The group was exclusively Jeep and this particular one was modded to the teeth.

That pic you posted of this Wrangler taken from behind was nice

Actually owning and running a vehicle is a breeze over here to be honest but like I said in that thread, that's not all there is to when deciding where you live ;)

About the pic you're referring to, I think it's the Wrangler that makes that one awesome rather than my skills with the camera :)

Thanks mate :) That trail was one of the better trips I had off road. The group was exclusively Jeep and this particular one was modded to the teeth.

Actually owning and running a vehicle is a breeze over here to be honest but like I said in that thread, that's not all there is to when deciding where you live ;)

About the pic you're referring to, I think it's the Wrangler that makes that one awesome rather than my skills with the camera :)

Thats cuz you're in middle east, where people throw away vehicles :D

Ya that guy is in a total dream world.. :speechless-smiley-004:

Life won't be that easy if some one plan to work in a supermarket. On top of that buying a Nissan GTR. First thing is its not that easy to even find a super market job when you are new to the country. On top of that you don''t get 8 hours. So you have to do at least 2 jobs to survive even with a shared room. And it could get even worse where you live. If talking about cars your insurance going to be sky high when your driving licence is new and it get worse buying a sports car as your first car.

But if someone get a work visa life is not going to be that tough. Specially in the field of IT you get a fairly good pay. But what ever job you do you have to pay a higher insurance at the start since your license is new. (for eg Insurance for a $ 9K used 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander could cost about $175/month for a new licensed driver)

Finally all i want to tell is i didn't mean to discourage anyone. Everything is possible with better planning. But don't come thinking everything is easy from the start. Also it all depends on the field.

KMeeg.

But the man who owned the GTR will think 10-20 times than he deicide to buty the 1st GTR when a requiremnt arice to fill a teeth which cost $ 2500 :sport-smiley-004:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interest in battery grips for your DSLR? I found a cheap Meike Battery grip and it’s been working for me quite well and even looks exactly like the Nikon Battery grip. Got it off Ebay and way cheap than Nikon. Here is a small video about it..

http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=715591531860625&set=vb.702509986502113&type=2&theater

PS - Had to do this video in English as some of my friends does not understand Sinhala.

Edited by kmeeg

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Here is a few from me. :)

Young, Wild and Free.

19766439994_1cb7f42734_b.jpg

Shooting star.

18963337649_5362a7c7da_b.jpg

Eye candies

19775483354_d0a4c38416_b.jpg

Dark Side of the Moon.

17348023304_c4f878fa0f_b.jpg

Dude those are dope pics! Where was the first pic taken at?

and what lens did you use to take the moon and the stars?

Dude those are dope pics! Where was the first pic taken at?

and what lens did you use to take the moon and the stars?

1st pic was taken at Polhena beach, Matara. If you look closely, you would notice only a portion of the pic is in focus. I had my aperture low as I was taking some portraits. Lens was 50mm f1.8 II

Last pic was taken with a canon 55-250 STM lens. Pic was cropped close to 100% as I remember.

Since I saw few pics of cats in this thread, here goes one of our cats :)

Fluffy

18828822808_b886a262d4_c.jpg

Edited by NRX

1st pic was taken at Polhena beach, Matara. If you look closely, you would notice only a portion of the pic is in focus. I had my aperture low as I was taking some portraits. Lens was 50mm f1.8 II

Last pic was taken with a canon 55-250 STM lens. Pic was cropped close to 100% as I remember.

Since I saw few pics of cats in this thread, here goes one of our cats :)

Fluffy

Yeah I saw that the first time I looked it, I though you wanted it that way lol

Edited by Magnum

Yeah I saw that the first time I looked it, I though you wanted it that way lol

Yup, a part of me wanted it that way so focused on the leftmost guy keeping the same aperture, though the distance between the guys wasn't enough to create enough shallow depth of field.

Star pic was also taken with the 50mm prime btw.

Yup, a part of me wanted it that way so focused on the leftmost guy keeping the same aperture, though the distance between the guys wasn't enough to create enough shallow depth of field.

Star pic was also taken with the 50mm prime btw.

What camera are you using? and what the lenses you have?