• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Digital Camera Photography

Magnum

Hi All,

Today I just gave my Nikon D610 & Nikon 70-200 f2.8 vr II for cleaning. My camera is about 7 months old but already got dust spots on the image sensor. (Dust was very visible at F22) I'm not sure whether I’m not too careful with the camera or is it due to a sealing issue. Since both camera and lens is weather sealed I don’t take much care. I just go out in rain / snow / dust. I don’t use any extra care I just put them in my bag after a photo shoot. (Meaning with no moist reduction thing or anything.). I only have a cleaning cloth and a lens pen to clean the lenses. No other cleaning kit. :rolleyes:

So my question is;

1. Do you guys have same kind of issue?

2. Do you guys do anything to take extra care about your camera? – Reason is one of my friends told that he is using sealed bags and silica or something to reduce moist for his camera and lenses.

Let me know if you have any additional info about this topic. Also the reason I gave to an agent is I’m scared of playing with the sensor.

Appreciate your advise or info,

KMeeg.

Yeah, I guess I should use it carefully and not be fooled by the term ‘Weather sealed’. Even on this Saturday I was at a place called ‘Sandia Peak’(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandia_Peak_Tramway) in with elevation of 10378 feet and taking photos with no cover when it was snowing heavily. Since it’s not winter the snow was melting quickly and camera was wet. That might cause the spots I guess. Even before that many times I was out with no cover when it’s snowing / raining. Basically most of the scenic photos taken at F22 are unusable. But the family photos taken at F2.8 – F5 are usable.

This could be a lesson to others also who are having ‘weather sealed’ cameras & lenses. Looks like it’s just a sales thing. We have to be careful with our camera’s. Else beautiful pics taken at a long trip will be wasted.. :speechless-smiley-004:

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

Hi All,

Today I just gave my Nikon D610 & Nikon 70-200 f2.8 vr II for cleaning. My camera is about 7 months old but already got dust spots on the image sensor. (Dust was very visible at F22) I'm not sure whether I’m not too careful with the camera or is it due to a sealing issue. Since both camera and lens is weather sealed I don’t take much care. I just go out in rain / snow / dust. I don’t use any extra care I just put them in my bag after a photo shoot. (Meaning with no moist reduction thing or anything.). I only have a cleaning cloth and a lens pen to clean the lenses. No other cleaning kit. :rolleyes:

So my question is;

1. Do you guys have same kind of issue?

2. Do you guys do anything to take extra care about your camera? – Reason is one of my friends told that he is using sealed bags and silica or something to reduce moist for his camera and lenses.

Let me know if you have any additional info about this topic. Also the reason I gave to an agent is I’m scared of playing with the sensor.

Appreciate your advise or info,

KMeeg.

Probably fungus, not dust. Chances of dust of the sensor are pretty low with modern cams, they have all sorts of static screens and electro cleaners and things in-built. Also, you need to figure out if the issue is the sensor or the lens first.

And to answer your question, no, I don't do much, and yes, you should take care of it..

Probably fungus, not dust. Chances of dust of the sensor are pretty low with modern cams, they have all sorts of static screens and electro cleaners and things in-built. Also, you need to figure out if the issue is the sensor or the lens first.

And to answer your question, no, I don't do much, and yes, you should take care of it..

Thanks for the info. I will check with the agent if its fungus or dust. Also i checked D610 discussions in flickr and many have claimed that D610 has dust problem.. :(

Phone camera comparison between 3 old phones & 1 new phone. Pics were joined next to each other with MS Paint.. Feel free to comment if you have any ideas.. :sport-smiley-004:

PhoneCams_zps24701de0.png

Adding more - All pictures taken in same lighting condition with ISO 100 and everything else Auto. But for Iphone 5S everything is Auto as default camera app does not allow to change any settings.

Edited by kmeeg

Phone camera comparison between 3 old phones & 1 new phone. Pics were joined next to each other with MS Paint.. Feel free to comment if you have any ideas.. :sport-smiley-004:

PhoneCams_zps24701de0.png

Adding more - All pictures taken in same lighting condition with ISO 100 and everything else Auto. But for Iphone 5S everything is Auto as default camera app does not allow to change any settings.

Dude you did this comparison?

Sony W55

14298249576_8454cb9dee_h.jpg

14298248046_3d44651ca8_h.jpg

14310670054_36f153fb7f_h.jpg

Nice pics Schiffer.. I will start a 'point and shoot challenge' over the weekend and post them.. But my point and shoot camera's are pretty old and no way near the quality of your pics, but will give a try.. :sport-smiley-004:

Small question - How to put images from Flickr. When i try to use the image functionality on edit window its giving as Image type not supported error. But when i upload images from 'Photo Bucket' site no probs. Any suggestions for Flickr pics?

KMeeg..

Thanks for the info. I will check with the agent if its fungus or dust. Also i checked D610 discussions in flickr and many have claimed that D610 has dust problem.. :(

Peri is right. Unless you change lenses often, without much care, in dusty places, it's pretty tough to get anyhing on the sensor. dust spots also appear if you have anything on the front element. Which is the easiest to clean. I just have a UV filter on which I clean with a lens pen and lens cloth whenever some dust settles on it. Less often I take the filter out and clean the front element and the inside of the filter. 90% of the pics I take are out in the dessert so I do see my share of dust but (knock on wood) no dust on the sensor so far. And oh, I take a few minutes to get in the car and close the door before changing lenses when needed.

By the sound of it, you may have some fungi which can be a bitch to get rid of. Storing the camera in a closed bag while wet may have something to do with it. I hear that fungi has this nasty habbit of spreading on to other gear so you might be better off getting all your other lenses cleaned in one go. And maybe buy a new bag.

Nice pics Schiffer.. I will start a 'point and shoot challenge' over the weekend and post them.. But my point and shoot camera's are pretty old and no way near the quality of your pics, but will give a try.. :sport-smiley-004:

Small question - How to put images from Flickr. When i try to use the image functionality on edit window its giving as Image type not supported error. But when i upload images from 'Photo Bucket' site no probs. Any suggestions for Flickr pics?

KMeeg..

hahaaa my one is old too machan, 6 years now :)

on flickr, after selecting the picture

*select download / all sized

*then view all sizes

after that right click and "view image" copy that link and paste here

Wanted to get a J1 but went for a E-PM2 instead ;)

ohhhh hows the olympus?

Edited by Schiffer

Peri is right. Unless you change lenses often, without much care, in dusty places, it's pretty tough to get anyhing on the sensor. dust spots also appear if you have anything on the front element. Which is the easiest to clean. I just have a UV filter on which I clean with a lens pen and lens cloth whenever some dust settles on it. Less often I take the filter out and clean the front element and the inside of the filter. 90% of the pics I take are out in the dessert so I do see my share of dust but (knock on wood) no dust on the sensor so far. And oh, I take a few minutes to get in the car and close the door before changing lenses when needed.

By the sound of it, you may have some fungi which can be a bitch to get rid of. Storing the camera in a closed bag while wet may have something to do with it. I hear that fungi has this nasty habbit of spreading on to other gear so you might be better off getting all your other lenses cleaned in one go. And maybe buy a new bag.

Thanks for the info. I have few points on this ;

Filters - I have few filters Hoya HD(52mm Cir-Pl), Hoya HD Pro (58mm UV), Hoya EVO (72mm UV), Hoya HD 2 (77mm lens protector). Out of these one thing i notice the Hoya EVO tend to absorb more dust and i have to clean it very often. But haven't notice much dust on Hoya HD Pro & Hoya HD 2.

Lens pen & cleaning cloth - Lens pen I use was good for only 1 or 2 months. After that the tip was leaving particles on the lens. So I only use the brush. The cheapo cleaning cloth was way better for me in cleaning the lens (I mean the lens protectors which is fixed to the lenses all the time)

Bag - Actually this is a point I never thought of. Basically my bag is not a new one. I got an awesome deal over ebay for a Nikon bag which was a 'Refurbished' one. So i have no idea about the early condition of the bag, meaning it could already come with fungus. Other point is when i shoot in Snow or rain the bag gets wet and I never put it in sun to dry. So there is a chance of foaming fungus. But my camera is normally outside the bag (But right next to the bag in closet). May be its better to buy a new bag.

Changing lenses - I try to be careful as much as possible like keeping the camera pointed down while changing lens or switching off A/C in car if I’m changing lens in car etc.. But I can remember once I was shooting in snow and came inside my house to change lens and notice that mist was foamed inside the lens. But the mist went off after sometime.

Other – I haven’t really try to shoot in a desert place but once I went to a place which is kinda desert which has very soft sand and has lot of dust in the air but did not try to change lens as I was able to see sand particles on my hand and when I wipe still the sand doesn’t not go off. Mostly my shooting places will be more of moist than dust.

Basically it’s kinda disappointing that Nikon D610 been a weather sealed camera but giving all these problems.. Anyways I will be getting the camera tomorrow (Hopefully) and will see what they say. I might have to pay if Nikon doesn’t admit it’s a camera problem. If I have to pay it will be around $100 for a Full frame. And each lens cleaning will cost $18 each.

Hope this discussion helps to all camera users,

KMeeg.

Yes sir...

You use four phones? :o

*then view all sizes

ohhhh hows the olympus?

You can copy the image and paste it straight away

You use four phones? :o

You can copy the image and paste it straight away

Phones -

I have old Pantech Burst (5 mplx cam) & Galaxy S2 (8 mpxl cam) also. Reason is we only pay a small amount for the phone when we buy a mobile connection in contract basis. Eg - Iphone 5S 16gb with contract $199. Best deal was Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is $90 and got a Walmart gift card for $100 also bought Pantech Burst for $1, etc.. But the mobile plans are very high. Eg - I pay around $120 for 2 lines unlimited talk + text + 10gb data. But in that case SL is very lucky to have cheap mobile plans..

I also plan to buy Galaxy Note4 as my current mobile plan is almost completed. Heard the Galaxy Note4 is launching early September. Heard lot of good featured that would come with Note4 over Galaxy S5 (as per Note4 rumors). Anyways not sure yet whether it will be funny looking talking with a big phone. Also Iphone 6 seems to have good improvements too (as per iphone 6 rumors). Anyways what ever 'Home chief minister' = wife says i will buy.. :man_in_love: And prob will wait till Sept for Iphone 6 or Note 4.

<Plz plz don't misunderstand and treat this as a big talk. Just take it as info>

Flickr -

I tried coping the direct URL but gave error something like 'Image format does not support in this forum'. Let me try the steps Schiffer gave when i post my next set of images. Started my Point & shoot challenge with Sony & Canon cameras. Will provide the results probably by this weekend.. :medium-smiley-037:

KMeeg.

*then view all sizes

ohhhh hows the olympus?

Hasn't reached me yet, on the way. Will update when i get it ;)

Hasn't reached me yet, on the way. Will update when i get it ;)

According to sample pics its a very good camera. Link - http://www.pixel-peeper.com/cameras/?camera=1775

BTW, this is the main site i use when i'm buying camera or lens to see the sample pics. I know these pics might be edit (post production) but still gives me a good idea what i can do with that particular camera or lens. I your case looks like your camera support many lenses addition to Olympus. Like Sigma, Panasonic, Pentax, Samyang, etc.. Good luck and hope to see some nice pics from you.

KMeeg.

Phones -

I have old Pantech Burst (5 mplx cam) & Galaxy S2 (8 mpxl cam) also. Reason is we only pay a small amount for the phone when we buy a mobile connection in contract basis. Eg - Iphone 5S 16gb with contract $199. Best deal was Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is $90 and got a Walmart gift card for $100 also bought Pantech Burst for $1, etc.. But the mobile plans are very high. Eg - I pay around $120 for 2 lines unlimited talk + text + 10gb data. But in that case SL is very lucky to have cheap mobile plans..

I also plan to buy Galaxy Note4 as my current mobile plan is almost completed. Heard the Galaxy Note4 is launching early September. Heard lot of good featured that would come with Note4 over Galaxy S5 (as per Note4 rumors). Anyways not sure yet whether it will be funny looking talking with a big phone. Also Iphone 6 seems to have good improvements too (as per iphone 6 rumors). Anyways what ever 'Home chief minister' = wife says i will buy.. :man_in_love: And prob will wait till Sept for Iphone 6 or Note 4.

<Plz plz don't misunderstand and treat this as a big talk. Just take it as info>

Flickr -

I tried coping the direct URL but gave error something like 'Image format does not support in this forum'. Let me try the steps Schiffer gave when i post my next set of images. Started my Point & shoot challenge with Sony & Canon cameras. Will provide the results probably by this weekend.. :medium-smiley-037:

KMeeg.

Oh you are in US, thats why!

No need to copy the URL just right click and choose "copy image" and paste it here

As promised my little Point & Shoot Challenge.. Thanks Schiffer for the tip inserting flickr images to forum..

Click this link to view all images of Point & Shoot Challenge in full resolution - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasunmeegahapola/sets/72157644958821581/

Sony DSC-S980

14356907935_9166777479_c.jpg

14170264518_d26cc38216_c.jpg

14170265018_1b62b18a94_c.jpg

14170323420_a46858b85e_c.jpg

14170230589_f652aa85fd_c.jpg

Canon PowerShot ELPH 500 HS

14363861705_42cc6ee45c_c.jpg

14363859875_a956281e7c_c.jpg

14360542771_d55939055a_c.jpg

Apple iPhone 5s

14170262628_5490057ea6_c.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics & feel free to comment or even criticize. That is good way for me to improve. I enjoyed this 'Point & Shoot Challenge' too, instead of carrying the DSLR carrying a point and shoot around my neighborhood while some giving me funny looks.. :sport-smiley-004:

KMeeg.

• Like 2

Damn! nice pics mate! bdw in SL we get funny looks when we carry a big camera :D

Thanks Magnum. Yeah that's true.. Also i wish the DSLR prices be more reasonable so everyone can afford them in SL..

More pics from Canon PowerShot ELPH 500 HS -

14388453223_f458d51ce7_c.jpg

14367373544_5e6071a291_c.jpg

2 pics of macro attempt and a long exposure attempt but did not came out well..

14345169896_202c8f6f96_c.jpg

14177286000_efc1e0b158_c.jpg

Link for all Point & Shoot Challenge photos to check camera model, camera settings & to view in full resolution -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasunmeegahapola/sets/72157644958821581/

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg