• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Digital Camera Photography

Magnum

Dear friends, I have a Nikon D90 and now it shows Err message sometimes. As in the internet I cleaned the contacts in thelens also but no improvement. Do you know some place or method to rectify this? Preferably nerr Kandy.

Thanks

First of all i sorry don't know how to correct this issue. I just came across some videos on youtube with same issue with D80 & D90.

But as you said i would first try 1 to clean inside of the camera with an 'Air Duster' (cans with compressed air which is great for cleaning dust inside the camera) to make sure its free of dust inside and out of the mirror. I found that Air duster is more effective than a rubber air blower. 2. Then would try to upgrade the firmware (Not sure if there is a way to reset the firmware as i haven't done a reset other than upgrade). 3. Clean the contacts of the camera for lens contacts.

• Try to IM 'Pericles' and try to get some advice as he is in the photography field.
  • Try to contact 'Photo Technica' see if they can repair this and get a rough estimate. (Contact info - http://phototechnicasl.com/). Not sure if there is any good places around Kandy.

Also i would advice since your camera is an expensive pro level camera better to give to a well reputed place.

Hope at-least this info will help rather than nothing.. :)

KMeeg.

Is this the exact issue you have?

Nikon D80 Err fix -

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

Edited by kmeeg

First of all i sorry don't know how to correct this issue. I just came across some videos on youtube with same issue with D80 & D90.

But as you said i would first try 1 to clean inside of the camera with an 'Air Duster' (cans with compressed air which is great for cleaning dust inside the camera) to make sure its free of dust inside and out of the mirror. I found that Air duster is more effective than a rubber air blower. 2. Then would try to upgrade the firmware (Not sure if there is a way to reset the firmware as i haven't done a reset other than upgrade). 3. Clean the contacts of the camera for lens contacts.

• Try to IM 'Pericles' and try to get some advice as he is in the photography field.
  • Try to contact 'Photo Technica' see if they can repair this and get a rough estimate. (Contact info - http://phototechnicasl.com/). Not sure if there is any good places around Kandy.

Also i would advice since your camera is an expensive pro level camera better to give to a well reputed place.

Hope at-least this info will help rather than nothing.. :)

KMeeg.

Is this the exact issue you have?

Nikon D80 Err fix -

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

Thanks KMeeg for your helping hand.

BTW D90 is not a pro camera. I think its mid level DSLR.

Dear friends,

I'm thinking of buying a telephoto lens like Tamaron 150 - 600mm or Sigma 150 - 500mm as my current Nikon 70-200 one does not have much reach for outdoor events (I have attached an example below where i have to crop the images to get the picture nice and full). Also don't have a budget to go for a pro level zoom. But i have a second doubt of camera bodies, which body should i use with these kind of lenses.

Option 1 - Telephoto lens + current D3200 - So that i have a crop factor when i fix a 600mm i get around 900mm.

Option 2 - Telephoto lens + Get rid of D3200 and get a D3000 or D5000 as they have a slightly bigger image sensor but stay in crop factor. (Thinking that i can get more ISO to get high shutter speed). <I guess i can sell the D3200 at a good price and go for D3000 / 5000.. But D90, D300s, D7000 is unreachable / off my budget>

Option 3 - Telephoto lens + current D610 - Since its a FF body i won't get the extra reach but can get extra ISO for a higher shutter speed.

Eg - Of using D610 with 70-200 where i have to crop the image. I was on the first row but still 70-200 does not have the reach to fill the frame -

14211438824_e595b97584_b.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think. Which option works well for a casual shooter or a person who earns Rs 0.00 taking photos. :)..

KMeeg

Adding the link for those who missed to see this which i posted these pics some time back - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasunmeegahapola/sets/72157644726343214/

Edited by kmeeg

Dear friends,

I'm thinking of buying a telephoto lens like Tamaron 150 - 600mm or Sigma 150 - 500mm as my current Nikon 70-200 one does not have much reach for outdoor events (I have attached an example below where i have to crop the images to get the picture nice and full). Also don't have a budget to go for a pro level zoom. But i have a second doubt of camera bodies, which body should i use with these kind of lenses.

Option 1 - Telephoto lens + current D3200 - So that i have a crop factor when i fix a 600mm i get around 900mm.

Option 2 - Telephoto lens + Get rid of D3200 and get a D3000 or D5000 as they have a slightly bigger image sensor but stay in crop factor. (Thinking that i can get more ISO to get high shutter speed). <I guess i can sell the D3200 at a good price and go for D3000 / 5000.. But D90, D300s, D7000 is unreachable / off my budget>

Option 3 - Telephoto lens + current D610 - Since its a FF body i won't get the extra reach but can get extra ISO for a higher shutter speed.

Eg - Of using D610 with 70-200 where i have to crop the image. I was on the first row but still 70-200 does not have the reach to fill the frame -

14211438824_e595b97584_b.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think. Which option works well for a casual shooter or a person who earns Rs 0.00 taking photos. :)..

KMeeg

Adding the link for those who missed to see this which i posted these pics some time back - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasunmeegahapola/sets/72157644726343214/

Or you may get the lens now and upgrade the body later.

Or you may get the lens now and upgrade the body later.

Ya that's true. Anyways this is what i think that might be good for my case. Pls feel free to comment against this option..

Camera body - D5100

Why D5100 over D3200 for a third party lens ?

· Slightly lower noise at high ISO 1,183 ISO vs 1,131 ISO (So at-least i can go ISO 800 with confidence)

· Larger sensor APS-C 23.6x15.6mm vs APS-C 23.2x15.4mm (Hope this would slightly help the noise it high ISO)

In addition D5100 comes with flip screen so i can do some videos pretty easily. And of cause the crop factor will give the extra reach over the FF D610.

Lens - Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3

Why Tamron 150-600 over Sigma 150-500?

· Very fast autofocus at 150mm and slightly faster auto focus at 600mm

· extra 100mm for a slight price difference

· Tamron 150-600 is moisture-resistant.(So i can use it with D610 in bad weather)

Why third party lens?

Obviously because i cannot afford a Nikon lens which has more than 400mm of reach. (Unless you earn something from photography)

I'm posting all these info i found while hunting for a budget package for good zoom, thinking that it will help all who likes photography. I don't think you can shoot a racing event if you have to stand back in a stadium with entry level zoom lenses with 200mm or 300mm. And of cause these kind of zoom lenses will help you to take wildlife photos too..

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

Ya that's true. Anyways this is what i think that might be good for my case. Pls feel free to comment against this option..

Camera body - D5100

Why D5100 over D3200 for a third party lens ?

· Slightly lower noise at high ISO 1,183 ISO vs 1,131 ISO (So at-least i can go ISO 800 with confidence)

· Larger sensor APS-C 23.6x15.6mm vs APS-C 23.2x15.4mm (Hope this would slightly help the noise it high ISO)

In addition D5100 comes with flip screen so i can do some videos pretty easily. And of cause the crop factor will give the extra reach over the FF D610.

Lens - Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3

Why Tamron 150-600 over Sigma 150-500?

· Very fast autofocus at 150mm and slightly faster auto focus at 600mm

· extra 100mm for a slight price difference

· Tamron 150-600 is moisture-resistant.(So i can use it with D610 in bad weather)

Why third party lens?

Obviously because i cannot afford a Nikon lens which has more than 400mm of reach. (Unless you earn something from photography)

I'm posting all these info i found while hunting for a budget package for good zoom, thinking that it will help all who likes photography. I don't think you can shoot a racing event if you have to stand back in a stadium with entry level zoom lenses with 200mm or 300mm. And of cause these kind of zoom lenses will help you to take wildlife photos too..

KMeeg.

I can not see a huge difference in ISO and the sensor. Note: I did not refer any litrature .considered just the facts you mentioned. Please disregard if I am wrong.

Video is the least priority for me with a DSLR as It is difficult me to hold it steady even at low shutter speeds :speechless-smiley-004: .And if you are in double hearted to go for a still or motion you will miss precious moments while you are thinking.

On ebay there is a huge difference between sigma and tamron. But moisture proof is an option that you should never turn down.If you know a good offer/joint for tele lenses pls let me know.

Totally agree with you. Nikkor things will cost you arm and a leg.

I can not see a huge difference in ISO and the sensor. Note: I did not refer any litrature .considered just the facts you mentioned. Please disregard if I am wrong.

Video is the least priority for me with a DSLR as It is difficult me to hold it steady even at low shutter speeds :speechless-smiley-004: .And if you are in double hearted to go for a still or motion you will miss precious moments while you are thinking.

Thank you for the advise and i will definitely think about that point too. BTW i have PM you the lens order details.

KMeeg.

14956739115_67d9b61eb8_b.jpg

If possible like to see this with the D5300 with a macro lens.

Personally i don't own any macro lens but i really like macro lens photos and macro lens is one of the items in my wish list.. Too expensive even though the limited usage for a casual shooter.. :sad-smiley-002:

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

If possible like to see this with the D5300 with a macro lens.

Personally i don't own any macro lens but i really like macro lens photos and macro lens is one of the items in my wish list.. Too expensive even though the limited usage for a casual shooter.. :sad-smiley-002:

KMeeg.

But i dont have a D5300 :P

• 4 weeks later...
That grill looks different from what we get here

Yeah.. I guess this is the only grill we get in USA for 2013s. Only difference that other trims have is fog lights and rear spoiler. In addition to my taste 2013 was better than 2014 / 2015 trims available here.. But they also come with 1.8L. But in addition to 4 speed auto a CVT is available too in 2014 / 2015..

BTW, photos didn't came out well than i expected. Took this photos near my neighborhood which is a peaceful place where i walk often. But the trees and leafs are distracting the photo alot (that's what i think). Next time i should find a plain / clear location for car photos. Lets see if i can get some time tomorrow for cars photography.. :sport-smiley-004:

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

Yeah.. I guess this is the only grill we get in USA for 2013s. Only difference that other trims have is fog lights and rear spoiler. In addition to my taste 2013 was better than 2014 / 2015 trims available here.. But they also come with 1.8L. But in addition to 4 speed auto a CVT is available too in 2014 / 2015..

BTW, photos didn't came out well than i expected. Took this photos near my neighborhood which is a peaceful place where i walk often. But the trees and leafs are distracting the photo alot (that's what i think). Next time i should find a plain / clear location for car photos. Lets see if i can get some time tomorrow for cars photography.. :sport-smiley-004:

KMeeg.

Yeah the dark and light spots on the car is annoying. How much is a brand new Corolla there? and the insurance?

Yeah the dark and light spots on the car is annoying. How much is a brand new Corolla there? and the insurance?

Price of this version was just under $19K. But my one is not a fully loaded one. Means no fog lights, rear spoiler, alloy wheels, leather interior, navigation or sun roof. Corolla "S" fully loaded would be around $23K. Some time i regret not going to the "s" knowing that its just a slight difference.. :speechless-smiley-004:

For me the insurance for the Corolla is $75/mo. Here its not only the value of the car that determine the insurance premium.

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg

Price of this version was just under $19K. But my one is not a fully loaded one. Means no fog lights, rear spoiler, alloy wheels, leather interior, navigation or sun roof. Corolla "S" fully loaded would be around $23K. Some time i regret not going to the "s" knowing that its just a slight difference.. :speechless-smiley-004:

For me the insurance for the Corolla is $75/mo. Here its not only the value of the car that determine the insurance premium.

KMeeg.

I assume the insurance is similar to our full insurance. what else determines the insurance premium?

Too lazy to do a photoshoot today.. How about this one for now.. :medium-smiley-037:

15239222681_4185e7fa3d_c.jpg

Nice pic! slow shutter speed? and what car is that?

I assume the insurance is similar to our full insurance. what else determines the insurance premium?

Nice pic! slow shutter speed? and what car is that?

Insurance -

Its a little different here machan. I don't know much details but some of the main points are;

1. Insurance are issued to a driver for a particular car identified by the VIN number. (Unlike in SL i cannot just give my car to a friend to use it without adding them to my insurance).
  2. Out of pocket amount - This is the amount we have to pay from our pocket if we claim insurance. This can range from like $500, $1000, etc.. But when you have extended warranty & maintenance plans typically this out of pocket amount is covered by the manufacturer (in this case Toyota).
  3. Discounts given for having multiple cars & home insurance from same insurance company.
  4. Max limit for liabilities and some other factors like Bodily injury per person and per occurrence, Property damage, Road side service, Rental reimbursement, blah blah blah.... (Eg- if your limit is $100K and you hit a Bugatti Veron the insurance company will pay $100K and the rest you pay with your salary for the rest of your life.. :speechless-smiley-004:) Anyways i have limited idea about these things and i might be wrong on this point.
  5. Discounts given for not having tickets and clean driving history.
  6. Number of drivers in the same policy. And their driving history. (Eg - when i add my wife as a second driver to this car it increase the premium a little)

Photography -

This is a 2014 Toyota Venza. Will put some pics sometime. And you are correct. This pic was taken with a slow shutter speed of 3 seconds. Tripod was mounted on rear passenger seat. Below are the settings i used if anyone want to try this..

• Equipment used - Nikon D5100 with 24 - 85mm lens mounted on Manfrotto BeFree tropod (reason to use this tripod for this one is; the camera has to be steady while the car is moving. Otherwise inside will be blury). I could have tied the tripod to something to get more steady.
  • Focal length - 24MM
  • Aperture - F 22
  • ISO - 100
  • Shutter speed - 3 Seconds

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasunmeegahapola/

KMeeg.

Edited by kmeeg