• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Ek3 Rpm Of 3500

sira

Dear Friends

Few weeks ago i checked my Honda engine specification and it does feel me that best power and torque at RPM 4000-5000 (D15Z4). So i drove my car at around 3000-3500 RPM and shift the gear that RPM. I feel little bit comfortable with this RPM. Car pulls very well and the important thing is fuel consumption also good. it was normally 10 Km per litre and now around 12 km in the .someone told me if you drive under 2000RPM you can get more fuel economy. But i had to depress the accelerator to and need to shift the gears very frequently. So now running around 3000-3500 RPM and just little bit depress the accelerator and performing well. What do you think of running 3500 RPM? Dose it burn more fuel

Please let me have your comments

sira

The 2000 rpm rule is not a rule per say. Its just good practice to keep the revs down in most engines to preserve fuel economy. But all engines don't behave in the same way. The Honda engines generally have a higher rev range so its fully possible that its happy being reved a bit more and it has no adverse effect on fuel economy.

Most variable valve systems from the old DOHC to the newer electronic systems like VTEC, VVTI, VVT, MIVEC etc have a number of valve management profiles, sometimes referred to as stages. (Like 2 stage, 3 stage etc). Each of these profiles usually operate the intake valves to match engine performance with driver expectations. So if the driver pushes the accelorator hard to rev up the engine, the variable valve systems push the cam shaft in to a profile that opens the intake valves a bit more, and advices the ECU to deliver more fuel.

The guide on keeping the revs under 2000 rpms or so is to avoid this shift up. In some engines you can really feel this extra power come through. But the cut off is different from engine to engine. So what applies to one does not necessarily apply to another.

What do you think of running 3500 RPM? Dose it burn more fuel

sira

Just tried different method and share with others. definitly i'm not auto expert!!

No No, no need to be an expert, i just focused on fuel figures you mentioned (10kmpl was improved to 12kmpl). based on that observation , conclusion is obvious(3500 RPM burn less fuel).

then in the same post you raised a question which make some contradiction with your own observation.

I also thought that cruising at 70kmph in 4th gear consumes more fuel than in 5th gear. according to your observation 4th gear is more economical.

that is why i am interested on your experiment and observation.

Edited by MV-5

Dear Friends

Few weeks ago i checked my Honda engine specification and it does feel me that best power and torque at RPM 4000-5000 (D15Z4). So i drove my car at around 3000-3500 RPM and shift the gear that RPM. I feel little bit comfortable with this RPM. Car pulls very well and the important thing is fuel consumption also good. it was normally 10 Km per litre and now around 12 km in the .someone told me if you drive under 2000RPM you can get more fuel economy. But i had to depress the accelerator to and need to shift the gears very frequently. So now running around 3000-3500 RPM and just little bit depress the accelerator and performing well. What do you think of running 3500 RPM? Dose it burn more fuel

sira

So this is a Vti V tec auto machine ?