• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw And Reliability

Magnum

So i was having a chat with a fellow autolanka member who is keen on E34, and i suggested him the E39 and E46 but we both ended up arguing. He said the earlier ones and latest ones, that is E34, E30, F10 and F30 are reliable and E39 and E46 arent. I was like they cant be famous if they aren't reliable.

So we need the inputs of past, present BMW owners and experts

To save any future embarasement it was me.

as i have heard The earler less electronic generations of bmw's are a bit more reliable (not talking about japanese reliablity)

and also a fact that there are lot of E46's in SL that arnt maintian how they are supposed to.

in the case of F10 and F30 ive heard that the newer BMW's are reliable.

well if you wanna know the argument occured coz magnum is Anti anything else that arnt made in japan. and has a beliefe that every BMW will break down everytime -__-"

To save any future embarasement it was me.

as i have heard The earler less electronic generations of bmw's are a bit more reliable (not talking about japanese reliablity)

and also a fact that there are lot of E46's in SL that arnt maintian how they are supposed to.

in the case of F10 and F30 ive heard that the newer BMW's are reliable.

well if you wanna know the argument occured coz magnum is Anti anything else that arnt made in japan. and has a beliefe that every BMW will break down everytime -__-"

You could say thats partly true, anwyay i still like E39 and E46,

bdw theres a damn nice blue E39 530D in kandy

You could say thats partly true, anwyay i still like E39 and E46,

bdw theres a damn nice blue E39 530D in kandy

if you are reffering to the one at ambatanne. yeap i saw it that day i came to your place. it was for sale in AL classifieds like 2-3 years ago

I think it is all relative. No car is bullet proof and they are as reliable as the owner who is prepared to look after them.

I have had 2, a E39 and a E36 and both were as reliable as any Jap car. The newer ones are too new to comment yet, only time will tell.

But I know of a few E39s and E46s that are in good hands that are quietly purring away, as well as any Toyota.

if you are reffering to the one at ambatanne. yeap i saw it that day i came to your place. it was for sale in AL classifieds like 2-3 years ago

only bad thing about it is, he has changed the color of the angel lights to blue, that looks kinda rice

I think it is all relative. No car is bullet proof and they are as reliable as the owner who is prepared to look after them.

I have had 2, a E39 and a E36 and both were as reliable as any Jap car. The newer ones are too new to comment yet, only time will tell.

But I know of a few E39s and E46s that are in good hands that are quietly purring away, as well as any Toyota.

oh! so comparing the E39 and E36 which was more reliable?

Seeee. Magnum.

Im sort of (not officially yet) in the hunt for a good E34, and magnums waiting(wishing) that it will break down everyday -__- .

Its high time u get this silly stereotypical thoughts of alll europian cars are unreliable. Its all down to how u maintain it. And how much TLC you are giving it.

• Like 1

only bad thing about it is, he has changed the color of the angel lights to blue, that looks kinda rice

oh! so comparing the E39 and E36 which was more reliable?

E39 had slightly more electronics loaded, hence it had a few inherent issues. Such as warning lights popping up for this and that, but nothing that grounded the car. But I used one for about 2 years with no issues. Meaning despite some heavy running, I was never stranded on the middle of the road. Which for was the main reliability factor.

I guess it all boils down to teh amount of money you are willing to spend on preventive maintenance. You cant own a BMW with a Corolla state of mind, which sadly is what is happening in SL a lot these days. People are moving from EE91s to E36s or from At170s to E39s due to the price factor..... but the two cars are worlds apart in maintenance.

Talking of bmw reliability, saw an e60 coming to a halt right in the middle of rush hour traffic :)

Had an e39 myself and gave it much tlc but had little niggles time to time

I saw a E60 smoking away on the E03 the other day. :)

Fatten him up! Take him on dates to BK and Macs or even Shanthi Vihar. Samaposha will also work.

bae bung, this guy spends his entire life in KFC but still look like a chicken bone

Jokes aside, ive been telling you for ages now. Do Not think that Europian cars are notoriously unreliable.

There is a something more than reliability and fuel economy when it comes to owning a car.

• Like 1

Fatten him up! Take him on dates to BK and Macs or even Shanthi Vihar. Samaposha will also work.

I prefer staying fit -_-

bae bung, this guy spends his entire life in KFC but still look like a chicken bone

Jokes aside, ive been telling you for ages now. Do Not think that Europian cars are notoriously unreliable.

There is a something more than reliability and fuel economy when it comes to owning a car.

Thats because i go to this place called "gym" bdw i went to KFC today also :D

anyway i saw that blue BMW again today

2qbveyp.jpgi dont know if it had changed owners it wasnt that "neat," there were stuff hanging from it and some parts of the tint was peeling off

Again, I have to reiterate that reliability is a relative thing and depends on how much care and attention you put on the car. I do not use cars in the vain hope of making a buck on it. I have bought and used cars, spent a packet on them and sold them off for a song, with the new owner benefiting from my toothpick and tooth brush levels of care on the car.

I have used a Alfa Romeo 164 in ways that would make a diesel Nissan Caravan driver pucker his asshole. I have used the two BMWs like a sales executive uses a rented Toyota Corolla. but in all cases, I have maintained the cars using only the original parts and used only people who knows what they were doing for repairs and maintenance, and most of the time, all work was done by myself, Not a single car has stranded me on the by ways and the highways of Sri Lanka.

But I know of people whose Mazdas and Hondas and Corollas were towed, carried or had mechanics travel 200Kms to bring back due to some issue.

So it all comes down to how you use the car and how far you are willing to spend on the car and maintain it in the best mechanical condition it can be maintained.

It applies to every brand of car. There is no 100% reliable car.

• Like 2

VVTi is right. There is no 100% reliable car, though some cars take punishment a bit better than others.

The ease of maintenance is inverseley relative to the technical sophistication of the motor vehicle. Spare part cost is inversely relative to availability, but having said that genuine BMW, Mercedes, Audi spare parts are relatively expensive even in places where they are plentiful.

Also you need individuals who understand these vehicles and know how to pull them apart and put them together again. They also need the diagnostic equipment to find out whats going on (though there are some lovely PC based products).

But we don't always own cars because it makes financial sense. Somebody who has driven a BMW will tell you out of all the mainstream brands it provides the best overall driver experience and something can't just be measured in money.

And in the end why do we earn money? To play accountants at home......?

And in the end why do we earn money? To play accountants at home......?

to pay bank loans and credit card bills :)

Yes, as VVTI said , reliability is not a "YES" "NO" thing and it is not measurable.

But still reliability can be converted to a "comparable quality" if we can come up with a mathematical model.but unfortunately we don't have facts to do that.

What kind of facts???

need to go through all records in consumer reported problems (probably within warranty period) based on models and based on equivalent models made by other manufactures.and problem should be categorized based on a functional area and technical area.

NOTE : I am just kidding...............because i feel so sleepy :)

But we don't always own cars because it makes financial sense. Somebody who has driven a BMW will tell you out of all the mainstream brands it provides the best overall driver experience and something can't just be measured in money.

Amen to that,

as some members might remember i was anti BMW when i joined AL

all because of some owners i know who i have now understood treat them as a tata nano.

but i got to drive a X1 and a E36, It completely changed my view on bimmers.

There is always something more to owning a car than reliablity and economy. and thats puting a smile on your face.