• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Riding With Learners Permit

Grid

So I got my Learners Permit , i know that in order to drive in the road there has to be a person with a DL with me but what about bikes? should there be a pillion with a DL? also do i have to put the "L" board on my bike?

• Like 1

From my understanding you do have to display the L board. I have seen this being attached/hanged near the front and rear licenses plates of the bike.

As for the other rider, I am not sure. I have seen lots of bikers with L boards riding solo.

So I got my Learners Permit , i know that in order to drive in the road there has to be a person with a DL with me but what about bikes? should there be a pillion with a DL? also do i have to put the "L" board on my bike?

You need to display a red "L" on a white background in the front and rear of the bike which must be visible to other motorists from at least 10 feet away. You do not need a pillion rider who has a DL to ride with you. Your Learner Permit must be carried with you at all times when riding.

Edited by CJ5

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
9 hours ago, Arzath said:

Can i drive a motor bike with a person have a approved driving licence for a motor bike or i should drive a motor bike alone ?

@Arzath, welcome to the forum.

Your question has been discussed before. Read this thread. I have merged it with your question. 

For more information, search the forum. 

13 hours ago, Davy said:

@Arzath, welcome to the forum.

Your question has been discussed before. Read this thread. I have merged it with your question. 

For more information, search the forum. 

I couldn't find the answer here can u post the answer here please.. i want know can i ride a motor bike with a person have the DL already for motor bike ?

Edited by Arzath

8 hours ago, Arzath said:

I couldn't find the answer here can u post the answer here please.. i want know can i ride a motor bike with a person have the DL already for motor bike ?

Scroll up and read the post by CJ5. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/14/2014 at 5:04 AM, CJ5 said:

You need to display a red "L" on a white background in the front and rear of the bike which must be visible to other motorists from at least 10 feet away. You do not need a pillion rider who has a DL to ride with you. Your Learner Permit must be carried with you at all times when riding.

@Manoj20030120 If scroll up you must see this reply.

• 3 months later...

Just to sum up in case you guys are lazy to read thru each post

For a cars/Vans and light coaches/lorries : You need to have a person with a valid DL in the front passenger seat next to you at all times of your journey,  You also need to display L boards in both front and back of the car ( Red L board in a white background which will be visible for close to 7M away (not sure, a cop said it). You also have a restriction on the distance you can drive, you cant go touring around the country with your L board, if a cop notices you in Jaffna with a permit from colombo ur gonna have a hard time explaining) 

For Bikes: You dont need a person with a valid DL to ride with you, you are allowed to ride solo but have to maintain slow speeds. You need to display an L board same as the car with a good visual distance of the red "L". Remember to carry your permit and your identity card at all times, and ride safe. If you get into an accident or get caught violating a traffic rule without a DL you are going to have a hard time spending the day at the police station since they cant confiscate your DL like they normally do. 

2 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Just to sum up in case you guys are lazy to read thru each post

For a cars/Vans and light coaches/lorries : You need to have a person with a valid DL in the front passenger seat next to you at all times of your journey,  You also need to display L boards in both front and back of the car ( Red L board in a white background which will be visible for close to 7M away (not sure, a cop said it). You also have a restriction on the distance you can drive, you cant go touring around the country with your L board, if a cop notices you in Jaffna with a permit from colombo ur gonna have a hard time explaining) 

For Bikes: You dont need a person with a valid DL to ride with you, you are allowed to ride solo but have to maintain slow speeds. You need to display an L board same as the car with a good visual distance of the red "L". Remember to carry your permit and your identity card at all times, and ride safe. If you get into an accident or get caught violating a traffic rule without a DL you are going to have a hard time spending the day at the police station since they cant confiscate your DL like they normally do. 

During my accident chaos, the offender was a imbecile with a learners permit. As his stunt nearly killed me and almost took out a house with people, 

I was told by the police that if taken to court he may loose license permanently, And with a strict magistrate or poor defense can end up in jail for 2 years tops. Reason due to endangering lives/ gross negligence 

I cannot comment on the credibility of the above as it was not a lawyers word. My lawyer was like let’s sue him and the Lorry owner and buy a new Jeep lol.

Edited by tiv

1 hour ago, tiv said:

During my accident chaos, the offender was a imbecile with a learners permit. As his stunt nearly killed me and almost took out a house with people, 

I was told by the police that if taken to court he may loose license permanently, And with a strict magistrate or poor defense can end up in jail for 2 years tops. Reason due to endangering lives/ gross negligence 

I cannot comment on the credibility of the above as it was not a lawyers word. My lawyer was like let’s sue him and the Lorry owner and buy a new Jeep lol.

I can respect you being the good guy and actually not sue him....but I believe it has come to a point that people like these exploit such kindness. Then there are plenty of others who see such acts getting passed off that they do not think driving without licenses or anything of the sort is a big deal.

Edited by iRage

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Sesathhh said:

I have a L permitte..i'm driving with a licensed driver on my front passenger seat..what happen when i drive without L board

The L boards work to keep everyone safe so if possible you shouldn't drive without them due to the increased risk associated with that.

For example when I see someone with an L board, I know to give them extra space and do my level best not to do anything to spook them, as well as to generally be more courteous to them as they are not familiar with driving a vehicle. Even pedestrians will notice and know to be more careful around your vehicle etc. Without an L board you lose those benefits, making things more dangerous for you and the other users of the road. 

Also: This topic (learner permit regulations and stipulations) has extensively been discussed on this forum and there are lots of threads with a lot of great info, so do a quick search on the site...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Nisal Nimsara said:

I have l permit...can I drive in main road in bike? Solo

@Nisal Nimsara Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see young people like you looking for abilities/laws before using public roads arbitrarily. The short answer is 'yes'. I suggest you to read the thread from the beginning to get the clear idea.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...