• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Problem In Speedometer Of Alto 650 (Japan)

Alto 650

Question

Hi guys,

The speedometer of my Alto 650 - Japan (Year of make 2002) shows les value than actual speed.

1st time I noticed this when I traveled 98 KM of Southern highway (from Kahathuduwa to Gall) within 65 minutes.My maximum speed was 80km/h as per speedometer. The average speed may be 75km/h.

In another time copes stopped me when I drive around 70 (as my car) and showed their reading as 105.

Could you please help me on this matter & let me know a place to repair this (near Piliyandala area).

Thanks,

9 answers to this question

http://www.willtheyfit.com/Hi guys,

The speedometer of my Alto 650 - Japan (Year of make 2002) shows les value than actual speed.

1st time I noticed this when I traveled 98 KM of Southern highway (from Kahathuduwa to Gall) within 65 minutes.My maximum speed was 80km/h as per speedometer. The average speed may be 75km/h.

In another time copes stopped me when I drive around 70 (as my car) and showed their reading as 105.

Could you please help me on this matter & let me know a place to repair this (near Piliyandala area).

Thanks,

Are you running on the stock tyre size 135/80 and 12' rims the Jap Alto (HA23S) has???? A change in rim size and tyre size can make your speedo go bonkers. Check these links to see as to how off your speedo could go with the wrong size of tyre and rim.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

However indicating 105 on the police camera when you say you were doing 70 very likely suggests a common police trick!!

The police sometimes resort to dubious tactics as they are required by their superiors to book a given number of prosecutions for the time they are out on the field. This reflects on their personal performance for promotions etc etc.So they cop some one over the limit and have that recorded on their camera and thereafter without resetting the camera they use that to cop who ever comes by and the gullible simply accept it just like that without challenging them or talking back!!! . You seem to have been a victim of this scam. This can be challenged in court and has been challenged in court and people have got off ( personal experience) but the vast majority either "strike a deal" with the cops or simply pay the fine and avoid litigation.

Edited by CJ5

Hi guys,

Thanks,

How did you get this figure?

is it from ODO meter it self or just you knew that distance is 98 Km?

Thanks experts,

To MV-5 :

1. The speed was checked with diagnostic tool & it shows same result. The speed shown in scanner is higher than the speed shown in speedometer.

2. The distance of 98 km is not from the ODO meter. It is known by me.

To CJ5:

The tyre size of my vehicle is 145/ 70 R 12

Thanks.

Members,

I use a cheap Maruti Omni vehicle. This vehicle gives the exact correct speed O D O and the G P S when I travel on all speeds.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Wijesinghe,

Do u suggest OP sell his alto and buy an omni? Or do u want him to fix an odo from an omni to his car?

Sincerely,

Crosswind

To CJ5:

Thanks.

So then you can rule out any speedo errors due to tyre/rim sizes.

What were the simultaneous readings given by the scanner and the speedo?

BTW I am no expert!! :)

Thanks experts,

To MV-5 :

1. The speed was checked with diagnostic tool & it shows same result. The speed shown in scanner is higher than the speed shown in speedometer.

2. The distance of 98 km is not from the ODO meter. It is known by me.

To CJ5:

Thanks.

based on observations,I think speed sensor reads the correct value and ECU also read and return the correct value. but speedometer doesn't show what it is asked to display.

Just forget about Tyre size. as a percentage error is just like 20%(means actual 100kmph is shown as 80kmph).

to produce this kind of error effective radius should be increased in (20/80 *100) = 25% which is not practical.

problem might be in "pointer needle motor".

To exclude some other possibility, just try to test the ODO meter readings, Ex: if you travel again in E01 you can compare the actual distance (distance has been marked by 100m to 100m in E01 ) and the ODO reading, but at least you have to travel 50km for a better comparison.

Edited by MV-5