• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is This Registration Number

JFLanka

I saw this image on fb:

lomd.jpg

Does anyone know what is the registration number in the Land Rover..??? Have seen quite a few Land Rovers, Navaras and Mercs around colombo bearing such numbers.

I think its a UK number plate. My Evoque came with L11 XXXX. when i Imported it.

After the first 2 letters, the number represent the year of manufacture/registration. so mine is 2011 .

According to this number, i think its a 2008 defender

UK Plates.

Used Cars which are imported from UK get these plates. but our people drive around with these plates though it is illegal

I think its a UK number plate. My Evoque came with L11 XXXX. when i Imported it.

After the first 2 letters, the number represent the year of manufacture/registration. so mine is 2011 .

According to this number, i think its a 2008 defender

Thanks Schiffer and EAP for clearing my doubt. :)

UK Plates.

Used Cars which are imported from UK get these plates. but our people drive around with these plates though it is illegal

I think its legal for those people who brought them down under that foreign citizen scheme, when i was back in school a Merc W211 used to come with those plates.

I think its legal for those people who brought them down under that foreign citizen scheme, when i was back in school a Merc W211 used to come with those plates.

The scheme is Called Carnet de passage. This is Only allow for Foreign Nationals who hold a Passport of their own. The permit Normally valid for a 01 year from the date of Import.However, This must have change now and I am not too sure about it. Permit Holder must getting touch with the AAC (Automobile Association of Ceylon) and obtain a Letter to forward to RMV to get permission to Run with Foreign Number plate.

Don't think There is a monthly charge for it.( I may be wrong)

After the Permit period , the Holder must Export the Vehicle back to his/her country OR surrender the Vehicle to SL customs and Pay the DUTY according to the Agent value and keep the Vehicle in SL for good.

This is what my Friend who is from Netherlands done in the past.

Hope above will give bit more Info.

The scheme is Called Carnet de passage. This is Only allow for Foreign Nationals who hold a Passport of their own. The permit Normally valid for a 01 year from the date of Import.However, This must have change now and I am not too sure about it. Permit Holder must getting touch with the AAC (Automobile Association of Ceylon) and obtain a Letter to forward to RMV to get permission to Run with Foreign Number plate.

Don't think There is a monthly charge for it.( I may be wrong)

Last time I checked in 2013 they changed the validity to 3 months and the car had to be taken out of the country after that, so no more handing it over and paying import duties after the vehicle has depreciated for a X amount of years. the car HAD to be taken out of SL

Also they had to be non nationals completely (by default not permitted for dual citizens, etc...however they would make make exceptions on a case by case basis). Also who ever was importing the vehicle could not be coming over to take up employment either, completely. The reasoning for the change was that a lot of people were misusing the scheme to bring over older cars and not pay the proper duty amounts.

the permit cost money but no cost to use the car/plate.

Not sure if this has changed by now, and knowing SL wouldn't be surprised if there was a way around it.