• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Windows Tint

dilan_randika

Hi all,

1. What are the legal limits & conditions associates with car windows Tints?

2. Should the windscreen be tinted too for better results. If so, what is the material?

3. What are the quality levels, colors of tints based on the cost?

4. What are the cheapest yet reasonable quality places in Colombo to get the job done?

Thanks....

I think there is a recent ban on any tint on the driver passenger and windscreen. This was discussed comprehensively in a previous thread..search for it and you'll find all the legal issues. I'm not in SL at the moment so the below information is strictly on their performance side.

I have 10% on the windscreen and rear, 20% on the driver and passenger shutters and 30% (or 40% I don't remember exactly) on the rear side windows. The tint is 3M and they make things much much easier inside. AC cools up quicker and overall glare during day time is quite less. They have a scratch resistant coating which stops from it getting scratched and getting difficult to see through when you roll the shutters up and down.

In summary.

1. There are legal restriction which I'm not entirely sure about. Please search the forum and you'll find the details.

2. Yes. Even if there is no 'tint', the multi-layered clear tints from 3M, Sun-tek etc will filter heat and UV rays. Will keep you cooler and the interior will last a bit longer.

3. The good brands all cost around the same but are much more expensive than the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff is just crap, don't bother.

4. Kl**n P*rk is your closest bet.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

I think Hoonigan has explain a lot. I think He is correct regarding restriction. Tint cannot be applied for Windscreen and front Windows. Still you can apply up to 25% for front windows is undetectable. If you go for a Windscreen tint always go for a quality one otherwise you will end up having Migraine. Cheep Tints available from 3000 onward quality brand will be from 16000 onward.

1. Legal limits are,

-You can tint your rear windshield and rear glasses in any tint you want and if you want you can even paint them so you can make your visibility level 0%.

-When it comes to front windshield, you can tint 6" or 20%(which ever is the shortest) from the top of the windshield.

-Front driver & passenger windows can only be tinted with tint papers which allows more than 80% light.

2. As Hoonigan mentioned there are clear tint papers which also reduced the number of UV rays coming through the windshield, I suggest you to do such tint

3. As per my knowledge, if you go for a quality tint papers, for any shade they have the same price, either you go limo-black or for a smokey shade except the clear tint, which is bit expensive

4. cheap and quality are two factors which are not going together... but if we mean relatively cheap, you can go to Au*op*l which is around half the price of 3M tints

Forgot to mention, if you go very dark on the driver and passenger shutters, using rear view mirrors can be a nightmare at night.

And about the cheaper tints, they are just a vinyl with a dye in them. No UV blocking, heat deflection or scratch resistance. They will just look dark until they turn purple in a relatively short time and delaminate. They also leave behind a nasty residue on the glass because of the low quality adhesives they use.

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys, currently my car has a full black tint around, and I'm thinking either to completely remove the black tint or to have a light blue tint all around. I know that the front shutters can be tinted 20% only so I'm hoping to have that 20% for the rear windows as well as the rear windshield because i dont want to have different colour patterns in the windows. What I thought was something like below. Does any of you know whether any of the below images depict a 20% tint? If not I would go for a more lighter blue tint. Also where I can get a light blue tint like this or lighter than this? 

0740-blue-window-tint.jpg

1237-blue-window-tint.jpg

Edited by PreseaLover

2 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

Hi Guys, currently my car has a full black tint around, and I'm thinking either to completely remove the black tint or to have a light blue tint all around. I know that the front shutters can be tinted 20% only so I'm hoping to have that 20% for the rear windows as well as the rear windshield because i dont want to have different colour patterns in the windows. What I thought was something like below. Does any of you know whether any of the below images depict a 20% tint? If not I would go for a more lighter blue tint. Also where I can get a light blue tint like this or lighter than this?

It seems you misunderstood the tinted glass law.  This is from Traffic Police - Frequently Asked Questions page. image.thumb.png.a713487e445c54d5ddeb54e29c1dc91e.png

P.S : Found this topic in the forum after my reply. May be additional reading for you.

Edited by kusumsiri

1 hour ago, kusumsiri said:

It seems you misunderstood the tinted glass law.  This is from Traffic Police - Frequently Asked Questions page. image.thumb.png.a713487e445c54d5ddeb54e29c1dc91e.png

P.S : Found this topic in the forum after my reply. May be additional reading for you.

but almost in every vehicle in SL, the rear is fully tinted and the front is half tinted right? 

5 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

but almost in every vehicle in SL, the rear is fully tinted and the front is half tinted right? 

I had mine half tinted in-front and full tinted in the back and rear windscreen. I was copped near panchikawatte and he took my license and asked me to remove to the tint in the front shutters and show it to the Colombo police station to get my license back. No charges if shown within 14 days. So I had to spent about two hours removing the tint and removing the glue from the shutters using WD40. It was terrible so my advice is don't take the chances. I still keep the rear shutters and rear windscreen fully tinted (for *sun-block*, obviously). It's all your luck machan, I have seen cars fully tinted all over and cops don't seem to care at times.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

Almost every vehicle? really?

@kusumsiri quoted what's mentioned on the .gov website. It's illegal to tint the windshield and driver, passenger windows. period. As with every other 'modification' these days, you can be copped anytime. Whether you want to run the risk or not is up to you. 

I think I have said this in other window tint threads as well. If anyone is worried about getting copped, you can try 3M Crystalline tint. The estimate depends on car to car. I did it at Tint city in Maradana. I would recommend CR90 for front windshield and CR70 for all other glasses.

But keep in mind that cannot stop all the heat from the sun as they demonstrate from  a lamp they have. Its just a marketing thing. However it definitely reduce the heat.

Make sure you ask them to erase the 3M logo from the tint. They will default erase the logo from the windshield tint. You have to ask them to erase from other glasses. CR70 is not dark it looks like factory shaded glass. CR90 doesn't look like tint at all. Its good for windshield but not enough for other glasses in my opinion. 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, kmeeg said:

I think I have said this in other window tint threads as well. If anyone is worried about getting copped, you can try 3M Crystalline tint. The estimate depends on car to car. I did it at Tint city in Maradana. I would recommend CR90 for front windshield and CR70 for all other glasses.

But keep in mind that cannot stop all the heat from the sun as they demonstrate from  a lamp they have. Its just a marketing thing. However it definitely reduce the heat.

Make sure you ask them to erase the 3M logo from the tint. They will default erase the logo from the windshield tint. You have to ask them to erase from other glasses. CR70 is not dark it looks like factory shaded glass. CR90 doesn't look like tint at all. Its good for windshield but not enough for other glasses in my opinion. 

I went with CR70 all around myself on my daily. No hinderance to visibility at night and the heat reduction is very noticeable. Without a gradient (darker tint in the rear) it looks like a factory shaded glass as you mentioned and is very subtle. Doesn't look tacky like the limo tint in the back, lighter tint in the front look most are going for.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hoonigan said:

I went with CR70 all around myself on my daily. No hinderance to visibility at night and the heat reduction is very noticeable. Without a gradient (darker tint in the rear) it looks like a factory shaded glass as you mentioned and is very subtle. Doesn't look tacky like the limo tint in the back, lighter tint in the front look most are going for.

Will the defrosting lines on the rear windshield go off when you try to remove it?

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, Crosswind said:

Will the defrosting lines on the rear windshield go off when you try to remove it?

It would I guess. The adhesion is quite strong and I doubt the defrost lines will survive. I went ahead anyway because of the size and angle of the rear glass, the tops of the back seats and anyone sitting in them were getting toasted during day time.