• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Improving Suspension

sahanlak

Question

Guys,

My vehicle is a toyota aqua, while it's comfortable in fine roads, I'm not happy with it's suspensions on country roads. I spoke to another prius owner and he said it's about same for most of the toyota vehicle, not sure if it's true. I was wondering, if it's a good idea to replace suspension with some better ones, ultimately my idea is to get the same feeling as in a SUV :) Any thoughts?

18 answers to this question

1. Exactly who to you mean by "suv feeling"? You what it to be taller? Stiffer? Softer?

2. "Replacing suspension" is a very loose term that could mean anything from swapping your springs, arms, struts etc. any of which you will cost you over 100,000 easily

3. It will ruin your resale value of the car. Absolutely ruin it. As aqua driver I'm sure that's important to you

My recommendation, would be to sell it and buy a compact suv, like a terios/rush/crv if you want to tackle country roads.

1. Exactly who to you mean by "suv feeling"? You what it to be taller? Stiffer? Softer? 2. "Replacing suspension" is a very loose term that could mean anything from swapping your springs, arms, struts etc. any of which you will cost you over 100,000 easily 3. It will ruin your resale value of the car. Absolutely ruin it. As aqua driver I'm sure that's important to you My recommendation, would be to sell it and buy a compact suv, like a terios/rush/crv if you want to tackle country roads.

komisiripala,

Your post is perfectly correct, I have done this modification to a jeep suspension about 35 years ago to me used on Colombo roads as well as country roads.

During good old days when S L rods was not like present carpeted roads. All four leaf springs was changed to coil springs and shocks was replaced with light motor car shock absorbers.

Only effect was the improvement of comfort driving on rutty roads. The owner had two of same type jeeps, therefore we were able to compare the driving on both.

I was not competent like now days during at that time. Only Motor Magazine had a article, about 40 years ago. I read same and got idea how to do that modification.

We could not do any driving more than 45 MPH. Stability of the modified one was not so good like the other one. Even tires were changed to Motor car tires.

At that time total cost was not more than 15000/00 Rupees with labor charges. Today technicians do not want to do any modifications the are merely. spare part changing technicians.

As you suggest I think he should buy a compact SUV. Instead of trying to do this modification.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

1. Exactly who to you mean by "suv feeling"? You what it to be taller? Stiffer? Softer? 2. "Replacing suspension" is a very loose term that could mean anything from swapping your springs, arms, struts etc. any of which you will cost you over 100,000 easily 3. It will ruin your resale value of the car. Absolutely ruin it. As aqua driver I'm sure that's important to you My recommendation, would be to sell it and buy a compact suv, like a terios/rush/crv if you want to tackle country roads.

Softer, sorry for being vague. Most of the time I'm driving around badulla area so country roads are bit common. Thanks!

If ride height is not an issue, then I say leave it as it is. Maybe buy a seat cushion (it works! My mom has one that looks like a lion was sat upon, and it actually helps! Lol) I assume your suspension is factory fresh, and even stock replacement will not make it softer. Even if the struts are gone, new ones won't make it softer.

If its unbearable, go for a compact suv.

My vehicle is a Toyota aqua, while it's comfortable in fine roads, I'm not happy with it's suspensions on country roads. I spoke to another Prius owner and he said it's about same for most of the Toyota vehicle, not sure if it's true. I was wondering, if it's a good idea to replace suspension with some better ones, ultimately my idea is to get the same feeling as in a SUV :) Any thoughts?

Hi Sahankal,

Though I have no experience on Toyota aqua, What Komisiripala said is true and to add something to that, I don't think you can do much on that vehicle due to limited space and things it got with the suspension system. Also if you are to do that, consider the effects it gets to the electronics and electrical system as well. As far as I know, changing on those may directly effect to EBD, ABS and so called new stuff coming with latest vehicles. You may consider replacing some parts but to do that you will have to consult an expert.

Edited by Nishan.dj

To be honest, even if you CAN, you SHOULDN'T play with the suspension of an Aqua. The reason is the battery bank is lying right on top of the rear suspension. It's highly unlikely that you will find aftermarket suspension parts that will fit in to the space of an aqua and at the same time, hold the weight of the battery bank.

You bought a hybrid thinking of fuel economy. That's exactly what you will get. You will not get enjoyment, good handling or ride comfort. You just have to adjust your life to suit your car.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 3

To be honest, even if you CAN, you SHOULDN'T play with the suspension of an Aqua. The reason is the battery bank is lying right on top of the rear suspension. It's highly unlikely that you will find aftermarket suspension parts that will fit in to the space of an aqua and at the same time, hold the weight of the battery bank.

You bought a hybrid thinking of fuel economy. That's exactly what you will get. You will not get enjoyment, good handling or ride comfort. You just have to adjust your life to suit your car.

Yeah I get that, despite the fact that it's a Hybrid, all I wanted was a good looking brand-newish, cheapest toyota available :) Don't you think it's the same for other JDM models like Yaris, Vitz?

Also I forgot to mention that I got the idea from these http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_product/toyota_aqua_prius_c_product_gu.html

Yeah I get that, despite the fact that it's a Hybrid, all I wanted was a good looking brand-newish, cheapest toyota available :) Don't you think it's the same for other JDM models like Yaris, Vitz?

Also I forgot to mention that I got the idea from these http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_product/toyota_aqua_prius_c_product_gu.html

Yaris and Vitz are not hybrids. They don't have a quarter-ton battery pack at the rear.

If you still want to change the suspension, you will have to import one specially made for aquas, like the one you posted above.

Mind you, with the freight cost and taxes, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Also a village baas in badulla may not be able to install it.

If the car is vibrating, get all the mounts checked first. May be its a worn out mount that's causing the problem.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Cusco suspension products are designed for people who want to tune their cars for better handling. This means the car will be lower and stiffer usually, exactly the opposite of what you want.

Like Supra said, aftermarket stuff is aimed at dropping and stiffening up. I don't know if softer than factory stuff are manufactured.

And being a new car, I don't think your factory suspension is worn out enough for a factory-fresh replacement to make any improvement. This may be as good as it gets.

Part of the SUV comfort comes from the sheer weight of the vehicle, which the aqua doesn't have. You will just have to adjust your driving style to the capabilities of your car.

Well what you posted (and seemingly the kind of things you are looking at), like Supra mentioned are going to make it stiffer....
Like Supra said, aftermarket stuff is aimed at dropping and stiffening up. I don't know if softer than factory stuff are manufactured.

And being a new car, I don't think your factory suspension is worn out enough for a factory-fresh replacement to make any improvement. This may be as good as it gets.

Part of the SUV comfort comes from the sheer weight of the vehicle, which the aqua doesn't have. You will just have to adjust your driving style to the capabilities of your car.

Cusco suspension products are designed for people who want to tune their cars for better handling. This means the car will be lower and stiffer usually, exactly the opposite of what you want.
Yaris and Vitz are not hybrids. They don't have a quarter-ton battery pack at the rear.

If you still want to change the suspension, you will have to import one specially made for aquas, like the one you posted above.

Mind you, with the freight cost and taxes, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Also a village baas in badulla may not be able to install it.

If the car is vibrating, get all the mounts checked first. May be its a worn out mount that's causing the problem.

Thanks buds, what a bummer :(

The only thing you can realistically try is to get tyres with a softer compound and side wall which will absorb more of the road friction. Michelin's are quite famous for this though some local knowledge is required in Sri Lanka. For example I have Potenza run flats on my car which are a little harder but I am told the Pirelli P Zero run flats are a lot more comfortable on the road and reduce the road noise by quite a lot!.